Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This time it is not too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Preechr posted:

For all that we used to get called nazis in this game, only one pubbie has ever actually figured it out... and he was creepily supportive of it. We switched to blatant Al Qaeda imagery after that.

Was it that dude or was it the legit holocaust-denying goon outing himself that got us to swap over to nasheeds and communism? That whole era of terrible people kind of ran together.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

so is dominion just a mini faction like romulans and their own storyline or is it a not faction with a extended tutorial like the agents of yesteryear crap

The latter. Their ships have a cool new pet mechanic though.

Also the content is legitimately good this expac, mainly because it's primarily based on DS9 so they had a much better base to work off of.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

As of ViL, the only Federation ships Fedroms can't get are certain faction-specific lockbox ships because the lockbox morphs into a Federation, Klingon, or Romulan ship when opened.

Don't forget the Vet ships :suicide101:

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 21, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Is there any reason not to use assault weapons for ground combat? From the tooltip, it seems like they do tons more damage.

Most guns actually do their listed damage a couple of times per cycle (denoted by an "X amount of damage x2" or whatever number) whereas assaults and pulsewaves only do one big hit. They still generally lead the pack in terms of DPS, but not by the margin the tooltip would have you believe. The other weapon types can also recycle faster, and are generally better for procs and things like that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Social Psychology posted:

Man, I was all hyped up to play a Talaxian Fed but they don't even tap their combadge to transport, they just do the Klingon wrist flick. There's $200 down the drain.

This is the worst post I have ever seen in the history of all these threads

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

lol the last time I played this game the chase ships were like D'Kora Marauders and Jem'Hadar Dreadnoughts, now the Relativity is dogfighting the Enterprise-J

The pizza cutter is the best ship to have because if you transport up to a heavily occupied DS9 or ESD space instance in it, you can sometimes fire players a couple of klicks out of position when your hitbox spawns.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

You failed to mention the Tardigrades :colbert:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

For real though that last ten minutes is basically Klendathu.

It's also very obvious that STO's ground combat was not meant to handle so many NPCs at once.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

There's like three Sensor-Linked Omni beams on the exchange and they're all above 300 mil. The box didn't go away that long ago, so yeah, those guns are pricey.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Science dudes have some of the craziest STF soloing capabilities in the game right now. Tacs are still king poo poo of doing big damage easy, but Tac also got sorta-nerfed in season 13 when they changed how damage skills interact with exotic damage abilities. Science is fine.

Eng does indeed suck though. The only way to do an endgame ship (that isn't desperately trying to pretend that dedicated tanks exist in this game) as an Engineer is a dedicated Kinetic torpedo boat, and those are super expensive to kit out and tend to be super annoying to play when doing story content. So don't be Eng.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Intel primary, pilot secondary is still the best general purpose combo. Strategist and temporal are also good if you build around them.

Miracle Worker is also surprisingly workable, once you have it filled out. Hazard Emitters is basically guaranteed to crit three or four times, which means if you're popping it on cooldown you're basically always going to have extra damage, crit, and healing effectiveness. It gives big boats a lot more staying power. Intel's still superior on zippier ships thanks to flanking, but if you're flying something more tub-like or just want to be mathematically incapable of dying Miracle Worker is pretty great.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

STO content is either really good and short or terrible and way too long. There is no in-between.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The new rep set is pretty garbage both in terms of stats and visuals (why would you make a set that can't be mixed in this day and age Cryptic:argh:) so yeah, once you've exhausted the story content there isn't really a reason to log in regularly unless you found a secret stash of pubbies to farm angerquotes from.

Still, as brief spurts of activity go, this was one of the better ones.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Star Trek being a refuge for terrible loving nerds isn't really an anomaly - literally any sort of space opera bullshit attracts the absolute worst kind of nerd. If you've created a piece of media that has aliens and spacecraft in it, congratulations, your fans will make you want to kill yourself.

greasythepirate posted:

I still post here for some reason

Case in point.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I miss FYAD

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I, for one, look forward to being able to watch pubbies fail to jump over plasma pits in IGE again. Random queues will be good.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

People often intentionally face tank the crystal pulse and use whether or not it kills them as an indicator of damage done as opposed to just, you know, looking at the health bar.

Exhibit no. 1759985 in "Why STO players are apocalyptically unintelligent "

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 16, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Teron D Amun posted:

you have to use your linked vanguard pets if you want the hull healing (thats the yellow option)

edit: more info about the new rep tiers - https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10993603

Introducing Tier VI Reputations!

We’re excited to announce a new addition to our reputation system, Tier VI! With the new Tier comes new powerful and useful rewards.

Our Tier VI additions focused on expanding on an already extensive number of options for Captains. Things such as, alternate energy type weapons, new vanity shield coloration options and improved reputation traits are some of the rewards you can expect.

We didn’t want to just give power and variety though. With the release of Tier VI reputations we will also be streamlining the process of reputation sponsorship. Reaching Tier V of any reputation will now automatically sponsor that reputation for your account. That’s not all though, for every Tier 6 reputation that a player achieves they will be able to claim a Fleet Ship Module and a Retrain Token. We didn’t want to give all of these options without making it easier to try new things out.

Reaching Tier VI in each Reputation will immediately grant you the following benefits for that Reputation:

Improved Traits!
Increase the effectiveness of each Reputation Trait
Improved Set Weapon Damage!
Increase the damage inflicted by Reputation Set Weapons
Social Zone Ability!
Brag to your friends about your progress by activating a new Ability that displays dramatic visual FX for each Tier VI Reputation you have achieved.

There will also be new Tier VI Reputation Projects available in each Reputation, to obtain additional rewards:

Account-Wide Reputation Gear Discount!
Reduce the project costs for all future Reputation Gear projects for every character on your account (does not affect Elite Mark requirements).
Alternate Energy Types!
Obtain new Energy Type variants (ie, phaser, disruptor, etc) for each Set Weapon
Alternate Vanity Shield Visuals!
Obtain new color-tinted variants of your favorite existing Shield Visuals.
Premium Items!
Once-per-character, you may claim a Fleet Ship Module and a Captain Skills Retrain Token, per Reputation that you get to Tier VI.

In addition to all of these rewards, the reputation UI will be undergoing improvements to make it clearer to understand and display the information you need in a better fashion.

We hope you enjoy the new rewards that come with progressing to Reputation Tier VI, but more important than that, we hope that you enjoy being able to experience a variety of Task Force Operations on your journey to Tier VI!

The ability to get rep weapons in different energy types is legit pretty huge and is going to mean a lot of weird set hybrids getting discussed to death in DPS channels

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Thirding that VoL is legitimately good in a way that STO normally isn't. It's worth a playthrough.

And then we're right back to Discovery :suicide:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Well, the Hurq guns are cool looking at least.

Man the swap to Discovery focus really kinda killed the momentum they had going after ViL, huh?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, they did the Voth good.

Vaadwaur were literally space nazis but also it wasn't really their fault because parasites or something.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Look man, it's Star Trek. If you enjoy it, you have two choices - fascism or pedophilia. Nobody this deep in gets to be functional and beneficial to society.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

This is a really cool way of previewing new ships.

So I actually read through all of that just because it was different, and man, the idea that fly-by-wire is a new technology to star trek ships explains so much about how stupid star trek combat is

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Please, for the love of all that is loving holy, never bring the phrase "loli Karan S'Jet" to my attention again. Thank you.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 21, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That guy still hates you, btw

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I reinstalled and logged in solely to buy the Matsumoto pack thingy because I'm a nerd that grew up on star blazers and was sad when the creator died

Is any of this post-hurq content worth doing? I've been gone for six or seven years

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What the gently caress is a mirror wesley

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah 2199 is the platonic ideal of a remake imo, and also actually a pretty good star trek show if you squint :v:

Anyway it seems like most of my gear is still top of the line but I'm sure I'm missing years of power creeped ship traits and poo poo

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Well since I'm gonna be flying this legendary akira I just bought I was thinking of going ham on a torp build since those are apparently actually workable now but I'm pretty sure I'm missing all the poo poo that would make that work

That said I still have a good amount of welfare zen knocking around and an okay amount of ec and dil

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

g0del posted:

To make a torp build work you really need a console to reduce global torp cooldown, the right torps, and some ways to get extra torp firing modes. For the console, the eagle's console is currently meta but the Ferrofluid Hydraulic Assembly also works, and is cheap since it's a rep item.

For the torps, Cryptic is kind of all over the place when it comes to torp damage and cooldowns, so you need to pick ones that won't leave you waiting 15 seconds between firing torps. Stobetter has a great Torp Finder page that'll help you get the right ones. The Delphic Distortion torp is in the lobi store, but the rest of the meta ones are rep or mission, and there are enough good cheap torps that you can do without the lobi one if necessary.

For extra torp firing modes, the typical methods are Concentrate Firepower III (requires a LtC command seat), Entwined Tactical Matrices (z-store trait), and Rapid-Emitting Armaments (legendary D'd trait). You can get away with just the first one if necessary.

Subspatial Warheads is a meta trait for torp builds off a lobi ship, but it's only necessary if you're going for parsing records, it's not necessary if you just want a torp build that will let you play all the content in the game (it does a ton of damage against immobile unshielded targets, so it's great for parsing Borg TFOs).

Ceaseless momentum isn't meta anymore, but it's generally cheap off the exchange for Feds, and wouldn't hurt to grab if you don't have the (much more expensive) meta torp traits.

Thanks. Are the kodais off the legendary here any good or are peregrines still the overall best for fed fighter pets (iirc the old Akira couldn't take frigate pets, no idea if the legendary can actually?)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I take it STObetter is the new go to alternative to the old wesleyguide builds

Does this mean pubbies are generally better at the game now?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Kinds funny that the Matsumoto tribute is an akira when this loving lexington is literally the space battleship yamato

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I'm enjoying it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I guess I came back in time for a new story arc and it's tholians again

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

so when I first came back I was like "oh neat the power curve is back near Legacy of Romulus levels huh" but now I'm buzzing around in my decked out legendary akira with some more modern traits and poo poo and lmao no they just completely blew the power curve apart didn't they?

Like who the gently caress invented Superior Area Denial

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cyclone seems kinda nice, but I'm a weirdo who fondly remembers the lost days of Mass Dental Tempests in the undine battlezone right before Delta came out and ruined everything

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

drat y'all, Maru already takes less than five minutes just playing it normally. This is some advanced :effort:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Oh right, pheonix event. Good lookin out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

dunno about y'all but I'm having a great time tractoring nukaspheres into sedate pubbies