Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm also a returning player, after marathoning the good Trek movies, I want to gently caress around and shoot phasers in the Trek game. I haven't played since level 50 and I was shooting a space trex, so I have a couple questions. Is spacebar macro still a thing and if so, how do I set it up again? Following that, is aux2bat a thing? And lastly my ingame name is @melisande77 for an invite to chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/ is a program that can help you put together a spacebar macro. Just remember: don't put distribute shields on the macro, and it's better if you don't put fireall on the macro either. Set your weapons to autofire and press the fireall key at the start of combat, let your spam macro just activate boff abilities.

Aux2bat is still a thing, but mostly combined with the cold-hearted trait. There are other methods of cooldown reduction available now. The boff ability Photonic Officer is a common one for science builds. But if you already have the doffs for a2b, you can keep using it and it will work fine.

Thanks. Is Cold-Hearted something I can get as a captain or a boff trait?

bij posted:

Only Romulan ships use singularity cores. Romulans can fly any of their allied faction ships now and still benefit from Superior Romulan Operative boffs which are super common now.

Phaser, disruptor, and antiproton have the most universal and clicky consoles available and the easiest set omnidirectional beams to obtain.

So it's better to ignore Romulan ships entirely? So like the Fed command cruisers would be better than the warbird ones (excluding aesthetics?) Granted everything I have is just T5 aside from the Dyson Warbird and the Jem'hadar Dreadnought.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a captain trait off a T6 ship that you had to be at an event like two years ago to get.

It's also in the phoenix shop now, although getting an epic token is going to be a bit of a task. Still, if you manage to get one and don't have that ship it's one of the better options.

Ah. Also about this keybind maker, it is making my monkey brain hurt just trying to figure this poo poo out. Is there like a guide for dumbasses?

E: Oh well that'd do it, it's making blank.txt files.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 25, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Are the new ones just named cold cases if I wanted to search for them?

As well on a more question of gearing, I have all the old romulan plasma mk12, and like dyson ship components and a lot of the older universals, like plas leech. What would be the best way to go about upgrading my gear to current end game? Slash good rep gear to target.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Could I get a channel invite as well? Valura@melisande77 for my fedrom and main.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

Channel invites have been sent. Type "/channel_join TheNextGooneration" into your chat box. Ask for fleet invites in there and someone will get you sorted eventually.

Thanks.

MREBoy posted:

Not gonna lie it was very convenient to be able to just go ESD-> Wolf 356-> Sierra system for omega bits, but as people were trying to do all 20 spots I can see why they "fixed" this. Heck on 2 occasions for me the event completed itself when I had only finished 2 colors :downs:

I hope it keeps the price on the exp booster from bottoming out too hard, been relying on it to get some income for my space poor rear end.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

What's the reward option for the exp booster, mystery box?

Emotes for whatever reason.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

With the upgrade weekend coming up is there an idiot's guide to upgrading out there? I have a few of the phoenix ones, and could probably craft some Omega, but is there any specific way I want to focus? Like get the omega rarity booster instead of mark booster? Also I have one ultimate upgrade that sets something to max, would it be best to use it on one of my universals like tachiyokinetic convertor?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well you can use the Ultimate Upgrade at anytime. I do know that some items take more tech points to upgrade than others, you'd want to use the Ult on something that costs a lot of TP, but I don't know offhand what's the most expensive.

Yeah I figured the Tac Convertor would be a good candidate (if it is still good), since it's a blue universal console as opposed to the other purple ones.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rob Rockley posted:

The wiki often but not always lists the tech points needed to upgrade equipment. You can also slot in an item and upgrade and see the relative increase- something like a warp core won’t get a whole lot from a single Phoenix upgrade whereas weapons can be raised to XV pretty easily with a few phoenix upgrades.

I am pretty sure one-off ship parts including warp cores take a lot more points than anything else. I used ultimate upgrades on my warp cores because getting it to XV gold the regular way was more expensive, and also a Disco EV armor cause I do t wanna fiddle with lovely ground combat more than necessary. You should be able to guesstimate at least how many upgrades it would take to finish all your gear, and plan to use the ult upgrades on whatever seems prohibitively expensive.

There’s a lot of effortposts about upgrades and someone outlined omega upgrades like a page or two back, if you search you can find a lot of specific info.

Asimo posted:

Consoles are generally the cheapest things to upgrade overall so I wouldn't use an ultimate on one. The most expensive are usually the primary piece of space equipment (deflectors, warp cores, etc), especially rep ones, and then weapons.

Ah good to know! Thank you for pointing that out. I will save the ultimate for whenever I get disco to t5 for the warp core and stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks for the tips! When I look for weapons what mods should I look for? I'm using Romulan plasma, which I understand isn't the best, but theming. Currently they have [acc] and [critH], but want to know if that's the best before I dump phoenix upgrades on em.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

PEN is ok if you're using crafted weapons, but there's enough other sources of weapon pen lately that it's not needed anywhere near as much. DMG got a buff awhile ago, so in general for weapons you want either CrtD or DMG (a mixture is fine). All CrtD or all DMG will be slightly better, but which one is better will depend heavily on your build, and the difference even at the highest DPS chasing level is usually less than 1%. So just go for any mixture of CrtD and DMG. ACC doesn't help much at all, and for boring reasons that I don't feel like going into right now, it's better to stack CrtD on weapons and use your consoles/boffs for CrtH.

Remember that most weapon mods can be re-engineered now. You can't re-eng crafted mods like PEN, but the regular mods like ACC, CrtH, CrtD, and DMG can be re-engineered.

Romulan plasma weapons are fine. Plasma doesn't have any obviously superior weapons like you get with phaser or disruptor. The one exception is the advanced piezo-plasma weapon from the Lukari rep set. It'll take getting your Lukari rep to T6, but that will get you a good weapon with a decent proc that you can pair with the set console to get a nice plasma damage boost.

Ah I can just reroll what I already have? That's a life saver. And yeah the guide linked did mention to add that array alongside the experimental one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What about dual beam banks? I saw there are generic 360 beams for most energy types now and it would let them keep the forward facing style.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

Mixed Armaments Synergy. That and Narrow Sensor Bands give insane amounts of bonus (cat2) damage. Add that to the extra console and it's easy to see why MW is one of the best ship specs available.

Yes but the space barbie of them is horrible, easily some of the worst looking ships.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Wizard of the Deep posted:

The original goiter-ships, yea. They weren't sporty lookers, that's for sure.

But I'd say the Gagarin is one of the better-looking ships in the game, and definitely one of the best to come out of the Discovery-inspired ships.

Eh I wouldn't got that far, but it's better than most. Though imo the Buran is the best Disco ship, even if it's ridiculously small. It actually makes the 4 nacelle design work for me.

g0del posted:

The first ones, yes. But even if you're limiting the list to just ships with a commander MW seat you've got the Gagarin and Qugh in the z-store, the Tholian carrier and Ferengi Quark Marauder in the infinity box, the Donnie and the disco D7 in promo packs all of which look great. There's other promo MW ships, but no one brags about how nice their Inquiry or Vaadwaur Juggernaut look. And of course, for Legendary ships the Donnie, Intrepid, Sovereign, and Excelsior are all MW ships.
This will probably stop working in a couple of days when the event is over. But there's usually people in the speed event channel starting AFK queues for that one, so you can keep getting your disco marks without doing any work.

:argh: drat legendary ships. Though yes stealing the looks of a good ship like any of the hero ships does work.

Though for new Fed ships (to me) that I like I think the Presido is the best they've come up with. It's like an Excelsior and something like the Galactica were smooshed together.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

If you have any unlocked recruit mark rewards, I would recommend using them here. Otherwise, I think random TFOs is your best bet, the actual competitive queues never pop.

Yeah you can turn 100 marks into 1 elite mark once a day, I recommend you start doing that so you have 5 for the engine whenever you hit t3.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Discovery is such an aesthetic mess. Like at least it's a different type of mess than the usual cryptic miss, but ugh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

The nacelles literally hover off to the sides of the hull.

Also the fact that there is a Janeway class but not a Picard class pisses me off.

Psycho Janeway theory continues to be confirmed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Asimo posted:

Yeah, weapon procs were nerfed into the ground ages ago and you're better off pretending they don't exist. Especially since there's been a lot of weapon types lately with passive/always-on bonuses instead, like the <whatever>-linked phasers or ba'ul antiprotons or whatever.

What are the weapons with those passive bonuses? I'm currently using Romulan Plasma just because aesthetics, and was thinking of maybe getting the MW Connie from the event to get the blue phasers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Giving them mustaches would improve the Disco Klingons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd get that cruiser in a second if it could use the old Corsair skin. I'm not a fan of Blackguard's as is look, and the Corsair is stuck in t5 hell.

Also what is the dps hanger of choice these days? To'duj squadrons?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

You know I thought that mission was supposed to be removed from the game because it's impossible to finish. Somehow I just got it. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, those are the ones you want. The guy to talk to on New Romulus just doesn't exist. So whatever bigger faction you are just do their quest.

As for how I got it I think it appeared when I maxed out one of the doff categories I still had not.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The most important thing is what color of beam up animation you want because that's the only thing that you can't change nowadays. Romulans and KDF got a discount on some expensive consoles, but that's changing with the new all cross faction stuff, I believe.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

The expensive cross-faction lockbox consoles no longer drop, so the ones currently existing in game are the only ones that will be available. That means that they instantly jumped in price. It's still cheaper to get the DPRM as a kdf/rom than as a fed, but only by a factor of 5 instead of a factor of 50 like it used to be.

Ah, well very glad I got mine at 60mil. What will this mean for like reward ships for the meta event? Like if you pick the TOS Dreadnought will you get a choice now of which one you want?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No idea if it's good or not, but Terran and Temporal rep give you wrist mounted photon torpedos and it's fun blowing poo poo up with them. Also Chain Conduit Capacitor is low cooldown and chain lightning.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Brave New Worlds might even be good. Maybe. Pike was the best thing about Discovery so....

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Preechr posted:

Excuse me, the third-best Star Trek movie came out in 2009. :eng101:

but the only good new movie came out in 2016.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

This site is a pretty good source of information too. https://www.sto-league.com/beam-ships-in-the-current-century/

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I see Reg Barclay has finally taken over the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think if you want to be a scihole, then Temporal Operative skills are what you want, as those focus on exotic damage. Intel is more a weird grab bag of eclectic things.

As for ship type, I think the only ship type that is worth considering in terms of the bonuses is that Miracle Worker is op because they get a free universal console and random abilities that fire off.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The big thing that can't be changed is teleport and warp trailer color and sound effect. Federation are what you expect, TOS and Disco are era appropriate. Rom and Klank have the same teleport anim one is just green the other is red.

Oh Romulans do have access to the best buffs with superior operative.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The newest disco abomination to hit the game, the mighty space trapper keeper!

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1386712087838220291

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Rewatching TNG and it's such a drat shame the Galaxy and D'dex are such space whales. Even if they aren't the best dps boats, I would like to fly one but that turn speed is killer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

It really hurts. The legendary Galaxy didn't fix it, so there's not much hope for a legendary D'd being easier to turn in. The galaxy at least has decent turn rate with the saucer separated - but that means you have to fly around with the saucer separated.

Yup, which is still a shame cause while I do like the idea of saucer sep, in practice? Goofy as gently caress. And what you want is the full silhouette anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Some ships have bad traits, but yeah the Qugh actually has a good one, so it's probably best to get it before the fleet for the 4 module discount.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The disco poo poo is at least CBS taking an interest to the game....to the games massive detriment because gently caress nuTrek. Ruining the economy? That's all them baby. Like I remember back in the day it could take like two months or so of one character and hey I could cstore ship. Actually made new store ships feel attainable without an ocean of alts dil farming. Now I think it would take one character over a year of dil turn ins?

Meanwhile a similarly ftp game like gw2 has not had anywhere near as bad inflation, having just come back to play that game with my last playtime basically at launch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DancingShade posted:

There is another reason you don't see tons of lockbox/infinity ships around too. The stock cash shop ships, the basic ones, don't completely suck.

~8 years ago the default stuff you could buy was largely garbage with terrible boff layouts. Especially cruisers. If you wanted something with a semi decent layout it was lockbox time.

Why spend two hundred bucks rolling dice when you can just buy something decent for a tenth of that?

Also yeah, once you've sold legendary ship packs to the punters I'm not sure where you go from there. I would assume whoever bought those is happy with their top end ships and will probably never upgrade or change from them. No more lockbox sales to those people.

As well I would gather, given what I said about the Galaxy, people generally want to fly what was in the shows and not random alien ships. As long as show ships, or those close to them, are decent it will be hard for people to give up the look of a ship they love for pure dps hotness.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Splitting the difference between science and beams tends to not work, and you generally need to pick between one or the other.

https://www.sto-league.com/beam-ships-in-the-current-century/ this is the most helpful site for beams, and beam builds are generally the most straightforward to get.

That site also has a science build but it is by no beams a budget one, and science in general costs more because it requires more obscure traits or consoles, but hopefully someone else knows a budget one to target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They just need to make Psycho Janeway canon and redo the Delta arc as them swearing eternal vengeance against the Federation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrKCw9OzkD0