Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Coq au Nandos posted:

Unconfirmed reports that if you get someone to invite you to a non-Romulan bridge you can look at the archive files from there?

Some crazy on Reddit claimed the Belfast bridge worked then proceeded to delete his post in a fit when it was satirically suggested that this was a plot by Cryptic to make players spend more Zen. I haven't confirmed it, but if you know someone who already has it, might be worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Technical Analysis posted:

And with all these bugs, bonus points if you use Virtual Audio cable to play the Starship Troopers theme on repeat for any poor lucky pubbie who hasn't turned off voice chat.

For Fed-Klinks, It's A Good Day To Die.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have hats and shoes that we could wear without the rest of the baseball gear?
https://imgur.com/0WhoK5m

I think you'd find this much more interesting.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Coq au Nandos posted:

With that said, more diversity in Cryptic's team would be very welcome, especially given how toxic this particular fan base is.

Seems to me that a some of the people in that Reddit thread believe someone doesn't exist if they don't publicly remind people who they work for on all their social media accounts. It doesn't seem like Cryptic puts any particular effort into seeking people out unless they're below their diversity-hire quotas. A lot of the more public faces have stated several times that they got the job because they knew someone already there or just applied because they liked the game. Free breakfast is a pretty good deal so if you're a person of diversity and you've got the skills they're looking for, be the difference you want to see and apply for one of the advertised positions: Cryptic Studios | Careers.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Acer Pilot posted:

They're still pending spotlight review. It's been like 3 years.

Please vote for Bijor!

Picked up all three parts and couldn't get them to start. Have you updated the entry gate to the new Deep Space Nine map?

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Iymarra posted:

Oh wow, Rommies can fly almost all of their faction-aligned ships now? That's one hell of a neat change. Makes it real hard to decide between playing a Klank aligned Rommie or just a straight KDF character, given the amount of choice on offer.

Ship access was that changed shortly before ViL released. Jem'Hadar would have been another sub-faction to make special ships for. Since the change, there's been a noticeable cut back on Rom ships with just Fed and KDF in the latest pack.
When chasing DPS/dil, Klank-Rom seems to be the current meta for the bonus doff missions and Superior Romulan Operative boffs.
I believe Klanks have slightly more faction-specific outfit options than Klank-Rom but I've not tried opening any Lobi outfits on a Klank-Rom.
There's not really a wrong choice when it comes to character/faction/class selection, or even gear. Pick what works for you and make it yours.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Tunicate posted:

Romulans should be able to swap factions between federation and klingon by doing a mission where they betray their current one.

This should be repeatable with no cooldown.

At this point in STO's story, they should be their own faction without needing access to ESD or Qo'noS. That being said, if Romulans can access Fed/KDF locations, why can't KDF visit ESD and Feds visit Qo'noS? STO's story really falls apart when you look at the game mechanics.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

DancingShade posted:

Because the game would break.

Because undocumented legacy spaghetti code.

I wouldn't call creating the best adventure zone for Klingons 'breaking the game'.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

greasythepirate posted:

It sounds like lootcritter is enjoying the new content:

https://twitter.com/LootCritter/status/1049811768082497536

Funny he should mention the armory... the NPCs that are supposed to be outside asking you to unlock it are trapped inside while it is still locked. One is trying to interact with an invisible wall panel and the other is just staring at a wall menacingly. I wonder if QA played the tutorial at all. There's also a voice acting line from one of the NPCs where they repeat their line. Nobody tell them what line it is or which section it's in. Let QA do the thing they are paid to do.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

Zutaten posted:

Turbonerds on Reddit are giving the new Discovery tutorial a lot of hate for being exactly the same as the regular Fed one, but I rather enjoyed it. It helps that every character is a lot less grating and weird, with good voice acting right down to your starting bridge officers. Shame they'll never speak again throughout the rest of the game.

The tutorial was visually appealing, especially the cut-scenes, but I hesitate to say that it was all sunshine and rainbows. I've run the regular Federation tutorial countless times but struggled to take interest with this one story-wise without a Flores clone in the lead. Seemed odd being hand-held through the tutorial by an Engineer after they nuked that career so many years ago. Maybe this is the start of the path to Engineer restoration. This is geared towards new players and maybe they've wanted to make these changes for a long time but couldn't justify it until now. It was good to see more dialog and an effort to expand on the original tutorial story. Whether this was just to use the new locations or a script cut short, we'll probably never know. People didn't like Tovan Khev. It might have been better if the voiced bridge officers that you can't dismiss didn't take up a bridge officer slot but showed up in the list, but I doubt we'll see a second try at that approach any time soon.

Asimo posted:

They so got turbofucked by CBS, didn't they.

I'm wondering if CBS only just told them that the launch date was in January and they didn't want and major ST:Dis content releases within ~3 months of the launch of season two. This might be the solution to that and would explain why they're releasing new content as it's "finished" instead of in one big drop like all prior expansions. They've mentioned a few times that this is some kind of hybrid between an Expansion and a Season release and implied that this will be their model going forward.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017
Infected Ground hasn't been the same without disco.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

MREBoy posted:

Also the queue system is happily throwing people into instances that were completely abandoned (ie 0 ppl present) yet still exist somehow.

Instances don't immediately close once everyone leaves. The system does a periodic cleanup and the queue system tries to fill empty slots of in-progress matches. Mass abandonment of a broken event queue will lead to many open instances.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

MREBoy posted:

New TFO is literally nothing but shooting at things, press F for a little bit (un-interruptable for some reason so feel free to keep shooting while doing so) followed by more shooting things. I don't know how they managed to make a dumbed down version of Mirror Invasion but this is apparently it. Currently unknown if it is 100% AFK-able or not.

It's 100% AFK-able. You can die at the very beginning and sit in the defeated state for the rest.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

greasythepirate posted:

Was it ever confirmed if binary stars can be AFKd?

You can AFK it without firing a shot if you have 4 other people doing the same thing. As a safety measure, the team dies at the beginning and sits in the defeated state since some did get an AFK penalty for just sitting there without firing or dying. The major problem is getting 4 other people to do the same. It's much harder to AFK a pug than a 5-man pre-made.
As a shameless plug, the "NoP Public Queues" channel is there if you need to form a queue. The more people that use it, the more effective the service.

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

DaiTengu posted:

I switched over to Arc to launch STO awhile back, and I know a few others that have too.

They claim lots of people are moving from Steam to using their Arc launcher ( https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/star-trek-online/#/discussion/comment/13444656 )

This got me intrigued about any differences between a Steam and Arc version of the game. Looked into it. Not a byte of difference between Steam, Arc or stand-alone when it comes to the launcher and game files themselves. A Steam install creates a few more files than Arc but you can delete everything except the launcher executable to clean things up. The launcher executable will re-populate the exact same files that it requires but nothing platform-specific. There's really no difference between the two aside from the currency transaction method. All three are identical once you clean out the extra files generated during the initial download of the launcher executable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bcott
Dec 3, 2017

AfroSquirrel posted:

Thanks!

Weird question: I have a title in my inventory that I can't interact with (except for moving it, but only with autosort). Is there any easy fix for that?

Got that same problem on an account of my own. You should have it accessible already so there's a hidden copy in another bag category. Safe to discard that one. Try it on Tribble if you're unsure.