Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Antonio Inoki got slammed so hard he traveled through time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Getting all teary eyed here over Vader dying. RIP to the biggest unit of them all.

Here, have some extremely good Vader matches I uploaded ages ago.

Sting vs Vader - Great American Bash 1992
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1uack

Sting vs Vader - Starrcade 92
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1umg4

Ric Flair vs Vader - Starrcade 93
Part 1 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l6j3
Part 2 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l7c5

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Man, this sucks. I'm gonna miss that big fat piece of poo poo. :smith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vader loving owned. RIP big man.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

By the 2000s Vader was beat to shreds but he'd left a trail of destruction so impressive that even Vince McMahon had to overcompensate for it.

His first IWGP win against Hashimoto was scary. You had this fiercely nationalistic crowd pumping their hearts into Hashimoto. Vader just walked through it all. When the crowd went silent for his coronation, you could see them all quietly seething as Vader donned the strap. He was the #1 foreign heel for NJPW in the late 80s early 90s.

Vader was a dude you didn't watch for crisp execution of moves but rather the sheer brutality of them. His Vader bomb attacks on Sting during the White Castle of Fear match looked and sounded like they could crush concrete. Those pawing strikes bowled many a smaller wrestler over, and in some cases knocking them so loopy they could barely stang.

He's right up there with Bruiser Brody in the absolutely scary large men category. With the state of wrestling as it is nowadays, wrestlers aren't financially protected enough that they can be like this. He acted with complete impunity, even assaulting a reporter in Kuwait. People's personal interactions with him are split between adoration and destestment, largely dependent on if you got the wrathful or the chill Leon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always thought it was pretty cool that rival game companies Capcom and SNK each had their own Vader pastiche. Capcom's Saturday Night Slam Masters had Alexander the Grater, complete with mastodon helmet entrance, while SNK's Fatal Fury and King of Fighters had Raiden/Big Bear. The same guy only Raiden (with Vader's earlier masked look) was the heel persona while Big Bear (Vader's regular appearance minus mask) was him as a face.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Here’s a fun fact, Vader’s dad invented the pneumatic car lift

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ooo I just remembered the time brought Vader back for a Cyber Sunday spot and he slipped off the ring and started cussing directly into the camera mic. Golddust, who looked like he just got off an international flight, was trying to console him on the way back.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sockser posted:

Here’s a fun fact, Vader’s dad invented the pneumatic car lift

Well yeah, it was called being Vader's dad

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Vader loving ruled, RIP :(

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Big thanks to everyone posting matches.

I also want to put the tweet with the news in here, just because the picture that goes with it rules. Beast mode Vader rules. Chill Vader rules.

https://twitter.com/itsvadertime/status/1009447703418408960

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Usually I disagree with most of Mel's opinions, but he's right on the mark.

Vader loving ruled. I only got to see him live once, but he was a hell of a worker.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Vader would probably have been ripped, but he loved beer...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ditch posted:

He had his priorities straight. He didn't need to be ripped to be a loving monster of a man, and beer is good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was fat in the same way a grizzly bear is fat

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ditch posted:

Beer is good and he was still a strong strongman

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

wRestle In Peace, big guy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I remember when we got TBS on a free preview seeing Vader for the first time against Mick Foley and it was just amazing how he wrestled compared to the rest of what was going on in WWF/WCW at the time. Just amazing stuff compared to what I'd seen up to that point time. And than when I saw his Japan stuff later it was even on another level. No other monster has come close to having the mix of power, toughness and also being able to sell as well

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it kicked rear end when he worked his way into a match with Ospreay then refused to do the match the day of unless he went over

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
One of my favourite things was when both Vader and Stan Hansen were in WCW in 1990-91, they just continued their feud from Japan.

So in between all the regular late 80s style american wrestling you'd just have two huge dudes beating the poo poo out of each other for a while.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Bard Maddox posted:

it kicked rear end when he worked his way into a match with Ospreay then refused to do the match the day of unless he went over

I was there and it was great fun, despite Vader being obviously physically ruined. He still put on a good show and got the crowd behind him. I wish I had seen him when he could still hit that amazing Moonsault. Vader loving ruled, RIP BVV

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RIP Vader, goddamn what a legend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Scour away!

Even as a young person it felt like bullshit that Vader didn't beat HBK. I didn't see much of his WCW work but he clearly deserved better than he got in the WWF.

He was supposed to win. HBK threw a fit and they changed it.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

gently caress. Vader was one of my all time favorites 😞

RIP big man.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Vader protected the business in Kuwait even at his own peril. RIP to a true worker.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I was loving terrified of Vadar when I was 6

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
are people actually upset that Vader isn't in McMahon's Mickey Mouse hall of fame

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Low Desert Punk posted:

are people actually upset that Vader isn't in McMahon's Mickey Mouse hall of fame

it would be a whole fuckin' lot less Mickey Mouse if they gave people like Vader recognition

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mickey Mouse or no, Vader belongs in all halls.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
It was his time :( Vader time.

I wish they didn't book him terribly in the WWF. Could have had a lot better rivalries.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah if WWE wants to fly out Leon's entire family for WM week I'm not gonna complain. Maybe even give his son another go at the PC now that its not run by south florida scum.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it would be a whole fuckin' lot less Mickey Mouse if they gave people like Vader recognition

Oh, he'll go in now that he's dead, it looks better for Vince that way and they can also rewrite Vader's history in the WWF without him there to dispute it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/maffewgregg/status/1009500197225975826?s=21

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Goddamn, don't ever piss off Vader. That was "Imma sandbag Brock Lesnar" levels of stupid.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/orinanne/status/1009481390080000000?s=21

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

"Vader loving ruled" is the most succinct way to sum up pretty much his entire career.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Couple of years ago I paid Vader to record a birthday message for my brother, who was feeling depressed. I expected him to just say happy birthday and a few catchphrases but instead I got a several minutes long video where Vader offered my brother his sympathies and related stories from his own life and how he learned to cope with loss and other difficult situations.

He was wearing the mask the whole time.

As far as I'm concerned the man was a class act and I am sad he is gone. RIP.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

https://youtu.be/W7XhwNT7U5s

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
RIP Vader. He posted his dick and hated Will Ospreay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The thing i remember about vader the most, due to recency bias, is that he kept on saying he was dying or near death very often. It sucked that he always had that on his mind and i hope his last few years were filled with a lot of good things to mitigate those sad messages to those of us online. he turned into a mastodon in that one wwf video game. it's Vader time

• Locked thread