Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Vader was my all time favorite wrestler. Because he loving ruled.

Vader once got his own eye punched out and popped it back in. Because he loving ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzFR9T29PoQ

Vader had the best little man vs. big man match I have ever seen. Because he loving ruled.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ttwvg

Vader died today, and we should remember him. Because he loving ruled.

I am not sad that he passed. Instead, I am grateful that he ever existed.

Because he loving ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I was trying to pick a match to represent his time in Japan or in WCW but I couldn't pick just one.

He was without a doubt the best big man the sport has ever seen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Vader was cool. The mastodon helmet was and is the greatest piece of wrestling attire ever

truth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I will also never forgive WWE for ruining Vader's US career and also never putting out a goddamn box set of his stuff

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I got NJPW world this weekend and am gonna scour for Vader poo poo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my favorite little detail was that he was billed from "The Rocky Mountains" as if he were such a huge monster that only a geographic feature could house him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

shiksa posted:

rip vader. agile big guys are always the best and vader was one of the best in that category.

and he had his own white castle of fear too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XhwNT7U5s
(i actually unironically love this poo poo a whole lot)

The WCW movies were rad and are so charming.

My other teacher friend has taught all his students to approach me in the halls and scream "There are no hulkamaniacs here!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My first experience with Vader as a kid was his jobbing "feud" with Kane and for years I thought he sucked.

Then I saw early WCW matches in college and was like "This is my favorite wrestler ever"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

shiksa posted:

AAH!! ITS NOT HOT!!

i understand why wcw was in the shitter around then but goddamnit i love camp.

I have wondered for years why he doesn't just say "It's cold"

I also liked the implication that went Hogan awakens in an unfamiliar place he immediately looks for nearby Hulkamaniacs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Takuan posted:

I missed Vader's prime in the US, only seeing a couple matches with the likes of Sting and Mick Foley, which were all good. My main exposure to Vader comes from digging through the New Japan archives, and he was one of the highlights of that whole project. Vader loving ruled.

All of his matches with Tatsumi Fujinami are tremendous, both his matches with Stan Hansen are great, and any match with Bam Bam Bigelow(as a team, or opponents) is a delight.

That gif reminds me of something else about Vader that ruled.

He came off as incredibly jacked despite being fat. Like, he was legitimately physically impressive with his shirt off in a way no other big dude ever was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

I like the callback to that they do with Lars Sullivan.

I legit marked this first time I heard that on NXT

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ditch posted:

All Japan

vs Misawa, May 2, 1999. Vader won the Triple Crown a few months earlier. This is the main event at Tokyo Dome!
http://www.mediafire.com/?2w72b6tr5qbuacf

vs Misawa, October 30, 1999. Rematch!
http://www.mediafire.com/?n5tbsevnyk9dgqq

w/ Johnny Smith vs Misawa & Ogawa, Tag League '99. Good match, worth it just for Vader murdering Ogawa.
http://theditch.biz/MisawaOgawaVsVaderSmith.avi

vs Akiyama, January 23, 2000. Vader defends the Triple Crown.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?093axo1g1y3d8em

vs Kobashi, February 27, 2000. Their 4th match and by far the best. The last great Vader match.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yavmolrkhby7a1z

I havent seen any of these and a match against 2000 Kobashi sounds incredible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Antonio Inoki got slammed so hard he traveled through time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

Here’s a fun fact, Vader’s dad invented the pneumatic car lift

Well yeah, it was called being Vader's dad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

are people actually upset that Vader isn't in McMahon's Mickey Mouse hall of fame

Unfortunately the gatekeepers of American memory of wrestling are the WWE. I have zero doubts Vader would have been a bigger legend in the US if WWE acknowledged him more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Takuan posted:

As tribute, here are a selection of gifs I've made of Vader being loving awesome:]

This is incredible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like how has no one else ever thought to do a cross body over the rope apron powerslam again because it legit looks incredible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

remusclaw posted:

What I loved about Vader was his willingness to take as good as he gave. I remember being straight up baffled when in the middle of a flag match Bret Hart just up and casually slammed Vader.

Yeah I always appreciate that he was stiff but wasnt unselfish. He didn't wail on little guys because he could get away with. He wailed on dudes with the understanding and expectation they would wail him back

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Vader vs Joe or versus pre MMA Lesnar

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

Back in the early 90's, Marvel did a WCW comic for twelve issues. The first eleven issues were a big story about Sting having to save WCW from his old trainer, who had sold his soul to the Devil in exchange for ultimate power like some kind of Lucha Underground poo poo. After all that was done, there was one last issue and all it was was Vader showing up to straight-up squash Sting and take his title. The end.

That ruled.

Didn't the devil turn out to be Rick Rude

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lady in the front hitting the Vader Ahegao

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I feel like instead of "beat" Takeshi Kitano's nickname should have been "Yes, that" Takeshi Kitano

Because he always pops up in weird pop culture events in Japan and you are like "Wait... was it that Takeshi Kitano?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

To be fair I love German Air Show Sentons and wish someone could figure out a way to do them deliberately

• Locked thread