Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Getting all teary eyed here over Vader dying. RIP to the biggest unit of them all.

Here, have some extremely good Vader matches I uploaded ages ago.

Sting vs Vader - Great American Bash 1992
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1uack

Sting vs Vader - Starrcade 92
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1umg4

Ric Flair vs Vader - Starrcade 93
Part 1 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l6j3
Part 2 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l7c5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
One of my favourite things was when both Vader and Stan Hansen were in WCW in 1990-91, they just continued their feud from Japan.

So in between all the regular late 80s style american wrestling you'd just have two huge dudes beating the poo poo out of each other for a while.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Might as well let the man tell it in his own words.

quote:

In any other sport, a ripped-off ear would probably because for a ‘time-out’. But in our sport, the ‘fake’ sport, we have a single rule: ‘The show must go on…’

Vader and I had a history of having very rough matches, and on this night on tour in Germany – I believe it was March 14, 1993 – I came in the dressing room and said to him, ‘We’re gonna tear the house down, right!’ And he said, ‘Not tonight.’

He said he couldn’t wrestle because he had a bad arm injury. So, I took it upon myself to say, ‘Hey, don’t worry about it, I’ll do most of the work tonight…’

As part of trying to fulfill that commitment, I did the dreaded ‘Hangman’s move’, where my neck gets caught in the ropes legitimately.

On every other occasion, I’d be able to get out relatively injury free. I say ‘relatively’, because I actually had the ear stitched several times…it was a dangerous, painful move.

Earlier in the match, I had successfully caught Vader with the patented Cactus clothesline. In this move, I clothesline my opponent and let my momentum carry me over as well.

This time, I charged at Vader, who moved out of the way. I launched myself into the ropes and prepared to catch my head and neck between the second and third ropes, sail my body over, and using precise timing and my own body’s momentum, twist the second rope over the third.

Although it is a planned maneuver, it is no illusion, as the man actually is hanging by his neck.

There was no doubt about it, it was a difficult move, but even more so in WCW because they didn’t actually use ring ropes – they used elevator cables covered with a rubber casing, and when the cables were entwined, they were almost impossible to pull apart.

Unbeknownst to me, 2 Cold Scorpio had wrestled in the evening’s first match and had complained that the ring ropes were too loose…so the German roadies had tightened the cables to the maximum; there was no give on the ropes at all.

Instead of the normal pain that I had long ago accepted as a consequence of this exciting move, I felt as if my neck was in a vice.

The ropes were squeezing the sides of my neck, and I was quickly passing out…I felt like I was going to die right there in the Sporthalle in Munich.

I’m usually known as a pretty good ring general, and I had kept a calm head in some pretty bizarre conditions, but in this case, I began to do what no tough-guy, big-cheese, blood-and-guts wrestler would ever, under normal circumstances, even think of…I began screaming – and I do mean SCREAMING – for help.

I knew enough about the human anatomy to know that if the pressure continued on my carotid arteries, which run alongside the neck, I would soon pass out, and then, without exaggeration, could suffer brain damage and even death.

With that grisly knowledge in mind, I made one last effort to get myself free and wrenched my head from between the ropes.

I later likened it to a fox that chews off its paw to escape a trap.

I lay on the floor momentarily and then got to my knees. Blood was literally pouring out of my right ear.

I could hear the pitter-patter of drop after drop hitting the blue protective mats that surround the ring.

This struck me as strange…I mean, as many times as the backs of my ears had been laid wide open, they had never really bled. They are made up mostly of cartilage, after all.

I climbed into the ring and the match continued.

‘Nice juice, huh?’ I said to Vader as he set me up for a monstrous forearm to the head. I blocked his third forearm and threw a blow of my own. When this happened, a fan’s videotape clearly shows something falls off the side of my head…

Because two of our referees had been injured on the tour and had been sent home, a referee from France had been flown in. Because he spoke no English, he was unable to tell me that he had picked up a part of my body and was holding it in his hand.

He handed it to the ring announcer, who – face turning white – tiptoed the ear back to the dressing room, where he informed Ric Flair [who was the booker that night], ‘I have Cactus’s ear…where should I put it?’

Flair, being the thoughtful guy he was, arranged to have it put in a bag of ice for me.

After the match, Vader, once again showing his sensitive side – the big softy – was pretty upset about the whole thing. He even wanted to ride to the hospital with me.

I underwent a four-hour operation during which all the cartilage from the missing ear was removed and placed in a man-made pocket an inch above my remaining lobe. By doing this, the cartilage would remain vital for a reconstructive operation somewhere down the road.

After the operation, a German nurse, after disposing of the remains of my ear, turned to me and with the inquiring eyes of a child said, ‘Der catch ist alles schauspiel, ja?’ which loosely translates as, ‘Isn’t wrestling all fake?’

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

That and it's almost for sure that he wanted to do it to make people talk about him and not Hogan after the match.

A noble pursuit if ever there was one.

• Locked thread