Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am confident there will be no brake of our expansion now that we have surpassed this green obstacle.

[edit] Also, there is an update at end of the last page, yes-yes!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen the AI try to assault in columns. :psyduck:

Though it is appropriate for orcs to just decide to charge in pell-mell while the warboss is trying to get something vaguely organized going.

Got the save, will play tonight and report tomorrow.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
On rare occasions I've seen my own units form into those thin columns for no reason. Seems like a bug that happened to the AI and it didn't know to correct it. It's also the first time I've ever seen the AI do that.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The AI used to glitch out like that a lot during reinforcement battles, I think because it would match in column formation to join up and then get discombobulated or something.

Haven't seen it in a long time though, not sure if it's a re-emerging bug or just a weird fluke.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

kidkissinger is the next listed player, but I don't have a line on him as he has pms off

the turn 21 save is below, report in a few

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1pBmaxiGPQ3SK7jlrBcGMRIVIuQ6MVAhC

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Grey Seer Break-Lies' report to warlord Gnawdwell, concerning Queek

Queek recovers well-good from the assasination attempt. He leads another assault against the dregs of the green-thing army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANI397fr08

An easy victory.

Queek takes green-thing heads and their treasures.

He burns their outposts without establishing clan-lairs, leaving the territory open for the beard-things in the south.
But the Horned Rat smiles upon him, the beard-things have many many strife-problems.

Queek returns north to the valley, ordering construction of smith-forges to build siege-engines and equip stormvermin.
He imposes hard-lash discipline, driving the slave-workers hard.

An Eshin sneak-rat is recruited, this one goes by the strange-weird name of ChickenWing and is known as a disciplined adept of the Deathmaster.

Dead-things infest-claim the ruins west of the valley and send emissaries to Queek with a foolish offer.

This Grey Seer thinks warlord Gnawdwell knows what Queek does to those emissaries.

Dead-things are weak and are defeated by the dead-things from the pyramid-lairs.

Yet more dead-things tresspass in the valley, soon they surround it from all sides.

Queek cares not, he moves north through the under-tunnels with a great army-host.
Scouts report that the green-thing lair before him is helpless-weak before his forces.

_____

Feedback welcome on the video. It's my first time recording and commenting footage and I did my level best in one evening with my potato gpu and headset mic.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Needs more groveling and sniveling, but a good update.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

quote:

Grey Seer, prophet of the Horned Rat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

groveling and sniveling

*does a lot of warpstone dust to calm down*

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im just saying, the mighty Thanquol could have done it with one paw.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hey I'm here

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It is up to you to lead Clan Mors to greatness!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is a good LP format of a good faction in a good game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'll have this wrapped up in a couple minutes, sorry for the delay guys!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SirPhoebos you're up!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AK671TBn5ztB60PiUIFqF1uV5TqGcmQY/view?usp=sharing

Report coming.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I opened by following through and declaring war on the Red Fangs.

Who put up little resistance and were quickly eradicated.

Stupidly recruited Mukip, who had such low loyalty that he instantly turned, and I killed him with a new lord... just in time for the province to revolt.

Rebellion was easily put down and I pushed forward in the north, declaring war on Karak Azul and seizing Kradtommen very swiftly with only 30% casualties. (pretty decent for a hardened target I'd say).

Following taking the city I was able to move and ambush and eradicate an incoming stack from Crooked Moon

Then rushed back to Kradtommen and Underway intercepted the Karak Azul stack after I ended my turn.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Oh man we're moving fast through the player list. Will be out Wed-Mon so skip me if we get over there.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Nice job. I think I'll extend the playing time to 15 turns from now on.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

Nice job. I think I'll extend the playing time to 15 turns from now on.

It is a good thing that kidkissinger killed Mukip as it allowed him to discover that the traitorous rat was actually in league with the dead-dead things.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oh wow we have moved quickly!

Uh, I'll try to have an update Monday.

EDIT: The save you uploaded is the wrong one

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 25, 2018

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

Oh wow we have moved quickly!

Uh, I'll try to have an update Monday.

EDIT: The save you uploaded is the wrong one

Hey, sorry about that, for some reason i could only manually save to the cloud.

I've sent you the correct save over PM.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got my first few turns in, will probably finish up either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I made some rookie LP mistakes, so expect QUALITY.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I expect dead rats.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finished my turns, I'll have an update and save up tomorrow.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SO: I was under the impression that the "Save Replay" option at the end of each made a video that could just straight be uploaded to Youtube. It turns out this isn't the case at all. So I need to get with the times and learn how to record all the battles I saved to a format that'll upload onto Youtube.

I blame underling-lackeys. In the meantime, here's a preview to wet everyone's appetite:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
is this ded already?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No Sir Phoebos is just having issues.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Sir Phoebos is just having issues.

Actually, I'm going to have to call it. Figuring out OBS is going to take way too long. It'd be better to just skip me and keep this thread going.

Sorry-whimper :shobon:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SirPhoebos posted:

Actually, I'm going to have to call it. Figuring out OBS is going to take way too long. It'd be better to just skip me and keep this thread going.

Sorry-whimper :shobon:

You dont have to do fancy videos or nothin'

just dig up a few screenshots and write some words

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah, either screenshots or video are fine.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I can post the proper save to the thread later today if y'all want.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll start making updates.

Turns 30-45, pt 1

To keep things consistent, I disabled most of the mods I had installed. The ones I left in were visual changes. For example, this mod adds in quotes from the Warhammer Universe in place of tips that grow old after about a few hours playing this game.

Another mod that I like is one that gives a more dynamic unit card for the LLs (link). Anyway, on to the update itself. My immediate goal was to capture Karak Azgal. The main obstacle to this was the dwarf army to the north. On it's own I could defeat it, but I probably couldn't if it saw I was heading to Azgal and reinforced it.

In order to trick the army, I would have to use ambush stance. Going into ambush stance makes the computer AI forget that you were there. However, there's a chance of being detected, which is increased by the presence of enemy heroes, which can be seen nearby. We'll get to how I deal with that.

Before putting my plan into motion, I take a look at the bigger picture. Karak Azul is at war with one other faction at the moment. I'm going to assume that I'll be their main focus of attention.

Meanwhile, the Silver Host is only at war with Azul and an unknown Lizardman faction. But I'm certain that that situation won't last for long.

Mostly due to Queen Khalida. I'm surprised that she made peace with the vampires in the first place, and I assume it's only a matter of time before they're at war again.

I also notice the grayed out faction Khalida is at war with. I keep a watchful eye on the Southlands.

But that's a bridge we'll burn when we get there. For now, we need to deal with this Runesmith. We got an assassin, but his chances of success are pretty low.

Luckily, the Skaven have a ritual that, among other things, will improve our chances of hero actions. I decide to enact it-even if the assassination doesn't work, I'll get several other bonuses out of it that'll be useful.

Well, that's certainly a lot better. I cross my fingers, order the assassin to stab-kill, and...

BLAMO! He gets a critical success, permanently killing off the runesmith. Not quite as big a deal since he's only level 1, but I'll take it!

With the Dwarf-thing dead, I move Queek up to Karak Azgal and set him to ambush.

Before finishing the turn, I fill out Morlocke's army.

The main dwarf army, no longer thinking there's a Skaven force threatening it's forces, moves out of view, presumably to attack the Silver Host. Nothing can stop me from taking Karak Azgal now!.

The pre-battle screen shows Karak Azgal will be a tough fight. However, I've got a plan....

And this is where I make the first recording mistake of the LP by forgetting to save the replay. Whoops!

Here's a summary of what I did: I stacked most of my army on the east side of the map, sending first the clan rats up the walls, followed by the stormvermin. The artillery would area target the wall, ensuring that no matter what dwarf unit was up there, they'd get pummeled. Meanwhile, I set my assassin and gutter runners on the west side. Since they had stealth, the AI wouldn't put any units on that side of the map, allowing them to scale the wall unopposed.

Once over the wall, the assassins and runners rushed to the control point, forcing the AI to pull units off the wall to try to hold it. I was able to hold these guys off thanks to The Menace Below while my main force swarmed over the now diminished force at the gate. The dwarves fought to the bitter end, but were unable to stop the cap timer from reaching zero.

The assassin took a pounding from keeping the dwarves off the cap, but he managed to survive. With Azgal under our control, I thought that I'd be able to stabalize Mors financial situation.

Queek got another level as well. I see that we were pressing towards Lightning Strike, so I nab that. This ability will be especially important for our attack on Karak Eight Peaks.

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Just getting in, but Total War, and Warhammer are two of my favorite pass-times. It was obvious that the combination of both was going to be spergy as hell, but I love it anyway. Can't wait to see some... malicious mice? Ungood Guinea Pigs? It's on the tip of my tongue...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Treuan posted:

Just getting in, but Total War, and Warhammer are two of my favorite pass-times. It was obvious that the combination of both was going to be spergy as hell, but I love it anyway. Can't wait to see some... malicious mice? Ungood Guinea Pigs? It's on the tip of my tongue...

Disreputable Rodents, I believe.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Rats of Unusual Size.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Bold Kobold posted:

Rats of Unusual Size.

Rodents.

#alwaysmorerats

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

A shameful dawi who doesnt even have his namesake unit in his army

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

sneak-stab from dark places, yes-yes

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
This thread-topic is relevant to my interests, yes-yes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

So what do gunners do when they're not being awesome/dead at bloodbowl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Turns 31-45, Part 2

A proposal from the Silver Host. Since they're not asking for much, and I want to keep them cordial for as long as possible, I accept their proposal.

With Karak Azgal mine, my next short term goal is eliminating The main dwarf stack. I know that Queek's army can beat it no problem, but so does the AI. In order to lure it into a fight, you need to use Ambush stance. Even if you don't trigger an ambush, the AI may still bring an army in range for you to attack. The trick, of course, is predicting where the AI is going to march.

Also it looks like things are about to take a bad turn for the Silver Host.

More because I was upset about not recording the last battle than any strategic goal, I march up to Dringorackaz. Before I can launch my attack, I see that the Silver Host has already lost ground.

One trade partner is as good as another, of course, and I make an offer to my new neighbor to the East.

The High Queen demands payment upfront. About three turns for us to see a return. I go ahead with it.

Now let's get some pictures! Pictures of fighting!

As you might imagine, it's not an interesting battle. The one thing I wanted to show off is one of the benefits of The Thirteenth Scheme Ritual - Clan Headstones. You can pop these off to enhance your troops depending on the faction you're playing, although I forget the exact benefits.

Since I want to focus on securing the province of Blightwater, I raze the Dwarven hold for now. The battle nets us a new banner. Nothing fancy, but I'll take it.

I also gain another level for Queek. Since we've gotten Lightening Strike, I decide to start getting some of his custom skills.

While waiting for the next turn, I get a peace offer from the dwarfs.

It's not an offer I take seriously.

Thanks to leveling up last turn, Queek's Legendary Weapon quest unlocks. We already have the Warp Forged Armor quest open, but this one lends itself better to being fulfilled through my playstyle. Like this first step: kill a lot of people. Doesn't matter who.

I never really figured out what the Silver Host AI was trying to accomplish by marching out this way. He just parks outside of Karak Azgal and...slowly disintegrates. :iiam:

I've brought up Morlocke to help with securing Blightwater. I've lost sight of the main Dwarven army, and while I sure I can defeat them with Queek's army, I'm much less confident in my secondary stack. So I don't really want to do a wide search.

Research continues, and I focus on strengthening the core units of my armies.

Another message from the Silver Host, this time offering me money. I accept, with no intention of helping them out.

While making my way towards Misty Mountains, a wild army appears out of the tall grass.

In addition, a goblin from The Pillars creeps into view. I decide to nip him in the bud before he causes more problems.

As for the Orcs, I do the nice thing. Which for Orcs is offering fights.

One of the advantages Skaven have is that when attacking an enemy, there's a chance that they'll initiate an ambush. This can even happen when sallying forth from a siege.

As the ambusher, I can set my forces to attack the defenders immediately. With my artillery units (and knowing that Skaven vs Orc is generally not a great 1v1 match up), I instead set back a bit, setting up the gutter runners to delay them from charging my line and give time for my reinforcements to arrive.

The gutter runners do a great job kiting the Boar Riders, and the main portion of the orc army is already pretty beat up by the time they reach my line. When my reinforcement engage, the orc army collapses.

The battle nets us a new follower. If we can combine this with a bonus to building siege towers, it'll give us a pretty strong advantage in attacking walled settlements.

The savage orc army is still in range, I send Queek to finish them off.

During this fight, I'm careful to not kill the Warboss. Normally fighting and defeating an army twice in one turn will utterly destroy it no matter how many units are left, but there's a bug where if you kill the Lord, the army will survive.

Blorg and boyz but up a tenacious fight, but in the end they leave the game as quickly as they arrived.

After the battle, I bring up Morlocke to move fresh units into Queek's army.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2018

• Locked thread