Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think the gutter runner nerf was a bit warranted since they were doing a little too well in countering their supposed counters. Everyone hates skirmishers, tho, so it may have gone too far, since even in single player their killing power is... rather anemic compared to how lethal ranged units can be.

I do share his pain and hatred of all elfs, however, as skaven currently suffer a lot in the MP scene, since they rely on a few fickle units that struggle to get the job done, while the rest of your rats get smashed to bits by cavalry/monsters/chariots/combat LLs; they're a rare pick nowadays since everyones got their number on the "poo poo at mid range and against cav" problems. I think others have more informed opinions on this than I do, tho.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

ZearothK posted:

Also with Spirit Leech (would take down most lords for half or two thirds of their health).

Spirit Leech still traumatizes me: Chicken Wing fought the Vampire partly because it had Spirit Leech, which I was afraid might nuke ZearothK and cause a rout. Two spirit leeches could endanger the life of a lord, with three killing some outright. It did more damage than Gaze of Nagash (a powerful anti-large projectile attack) at half the cost, was more reliable because it does direct damage, and overcasting increases the range in case the opponent realized what was happening and tried to run.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I think the gutter runner nerf was a bit warranted since they were doing a little too well in countering their supposed counters. Everyone hates skirmishers, tho, so it may have gone too far, since even in single player their killing power is... rather anemic compared to how lethal ranged units can be.

I do share his pain and hatred of all elfs, however, as skaven currently suffer a lot in the MP scene, since they rely on a few fickle units that struggle to get the job done, while the rest of your rats get smashed to bits by cavalry/monsters/chariots/combat LLs; they're a rare pick nowadays since everyones got their number on the "poo poo at mid range and against cav" problems. I think others have more informed opinions on this than I do, tho.

Ai, it's half the cavalry and half sheer predictability: Skaven will almost always have Lord Skrolk (except for gimmick builds that might use the cheaper Craventail,) a few Rat Ogers because Skaven have trash melee AP and no cav, A Warp Lightning Cannon or two if the opponent has any flying units at all, a Plague Furnace because it's so important for the weak Skaven infantry, and a core of Stormvermin to hold the center.

This usually leaves very little to actually adjust to the enemy army, usually choosing between a Hellpit abomination or a Doomwheel with a few Clanrats or Slaves thrown in, maybe some poison weapons in weirder match ups. Gutter Runners have no place because they take too much effort to micro effectively while contributing depressingly little to the actual combat. I take Slingers on occasion to keep flying units honest (fun fact: ordering flying units to run doesn't increase their speed, but does make them resist being stunned when hit,) but otherwise I'd take an extra unit of Rat Ogres any day.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Got the save loaded up. :regd08:

I'm going to turn 110, right? After 7 turns... WE ARE #1 MOST POWERFUL IN GAME. ALL HAIL ME-ME AS VISIONARY-MESSIAH OF ALL SKAVEN!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 13, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Report 9: Things Must End (The Sacking of the Three Settlements)
---

After the last great-terrible battle, Great-Wise Seer ZearothK's army is simply too injured and too dead for marching on the last provincial settlement. Clever-vicious Venom Bitch makes her move instead.

To our great-great surprise, she actually loses! Nine out of ten Skaven agree, dead-things with flesh are better than dead-things without. The remaining one were eaten before they could answer. Don't tell your leaders you want to eat them, Clan Rats.

This causes a lull period that allows Great-Wise Seer ZearothK's army to mostly heal, along with training an entirely new batch of Skaven renowned for their ability to kill big-tough things, like giant lizards. It's a good thing he chose to remain nearby to train instead of returning to Mors HQ, because the lizard-things come close to taking the settlement themselves. Their army is too small to threaten us, but we want the loot for ourselves.

The arrogant dead-things never bothered with creating walls; they were so sure of their main settlement's strength that they neglected the outer area. This proves a poor decision.

The enemy army is obviously weak, but still suitable for target practice of newly trained Skaven.

Their bats are sent forward in some silly attempt to delay the vaporization of the doomed necromancer. Great-Wise Seer ZearothK immobilizes them with a spell he's never had to actually use, then orders the bats used for target practice.

The remaining bats escape the spell and then attack the main ar-

No-no, not again!

"Why do bats keep trying to mate-gently caress me?!?"

"Do you SEE-SEE any wings? If not-no, leave me ALONE!"

"Slaves! Do as I order! Kill-kill these bats faster!"

"If you continue to fail-fail me,you all are being fed to Black Rat nursery! drat idiot-fools."

As Great-Wise Seer finishes of the bats, the remaining dead-thing army is quickly reduced to dust: the new poison is so strong that it melts even bone.

The necromancer does his best to turn the tide even as his army disintegrates around him; he even attempts to fight the Skaven Clan Rats with his own pathetic Claw skills.

But it was only ever going to end one way. With this, the Great-Wise Seer has finally earned his bell.

---

Meanwhile, the other side of the Mors Empire see's Queek kill-fighting the hated beard-things. Beard-things came deep into this land for the sake of robbing the Tomb Kings: as the Tomb Kings are our future victims friends trade partners, so we vow the beard-things total destruction.

Queek even has his own grudge book, written in the blood of beard-thing Thanes as their tradition demands. Skaven do not understand this tradition, but beard-thing blood is highly popular for use in assassin contracts.

Beard-thing army is quickly greeted by Plague Claws, now long since old claws at kill-killing beard-things. The Thane himself soon finds need of a good scrub-wash courtesy of a Warp Lighting blast to the face. Does water even help clean-wipe up Warp Lighting blast stains? Skaven does not know.

None of the honor-obsessed beard-things stop to help their leader after he was blasted. Maybe abandoning people to artillery is considered honorable, so long as you're moving toward the enemy?

Wait, no, one group of Beard-things leaves the Thane behind as they flee the battle. Honor-grudge system clearly exists to trick idiot-fools into dying for their leaders. Perhaps we and beard-things are not so different? Maybe beard-things are Skaven subjected to some ancient Clan Moulder experiment to create ugly but obedient Skaven? Will need to research this.

The Thane eventually catches up to the rest of the beard-things army, mainly because we decide they are more important to hit than he is. In particular, we focus our fire on the crossbow unit, and give them some Clanrats to play with at the same time.

As the Thane and his men approach, our trap is sprung, and hidden Gutter Runners begin to peg the beard-things from the side. Beard-things must choose between chasing a unit they cannot catch or attacking our army while their shields face the wrong direction. They surprise us instead by dumb-foolishly dividing their army, making them even more-more vulnerable to being surrounded by our superior numbers. Skaven and beard-thing finally charge out and clash!

The Thane is too busy-busy jumping at us to notice he's been surrounded Gutter Runners and Rat Ogers. The Miners without a deathwish begin trying to run.

As the beard-things fight Clan Mors for the first time, the beard-things realize they can't win and run-flee, giving the great honor of certain death to their brave-but-dumb friends who remain on the front-line. Honor system is quite clever!

As for the Thane himself, he begins to rethink his poor-bad life choices as the three Skaven heroes squabble over who has the right to kill him and claim his stuff.

Meanwhile, we grant the Miners more-greater honor by forcing them to fight our Rat Ogres, who the Miners have no hope of escaping. They can now surely obtain maximum honor, like their dying-doomed friends!

Quickly however, it becomes clear that no one in the beard-things army wants to win the most honor. Why don't we let them get away?

Run, beard-thing, run! Skaven has faith in you!

Hahaha, Skaven Lies!

The Thane gives up. Skaven take turns laughing at him as he cries to the screams of his most honorable comrades. Meanwhile, Queek and the others argue over who gets his stuff, and whether to send him back to Mors HQ to interrogate him, or just eat him then and there.

The last beard-things is run down and stabbed from behind. All beard-things fear being penetrated from the rear.

Simultaneously, the Thane Question is answered when an over-excited Rat Ogre runs him over with a spike-ball hand. Whoops!

---

The last battle takes place as Great-Wise Seer Phoebos seeks to make a human settlement his own. It's bad enough that deadman-things have stolen so much of our future treasure, but the living ones steal it as well! And they call Skaven greedy-thiefs!

The towers aren't much of a threat, but with only Plague Claws to destroy them, we expect much ammo to be depleted in the process. Nearby soldiers jeer at Skaven, but there bravery will only last as long as the dunes hide the bulk of our actual army. In the meantime, the Spearboys believe we are destroying the towers because we fear them.

Their courage crumbles once they feel what a Plague Claw can actually do!

The horse mounted Sergeants are smarter, and choose to keep away from the walls and gate as much as they can, holding the center with their general.

However, disaster strikes! The towers took absorbed too many hits, and the Plague Claws ran out of ammo right before the gate would have been destroyed. The men on the walls cheer-jeer as they relish the mistake-failure of our Plague Claw crews.

The jeers fall silent as they see the full size of the enemy army crest over the dunes for the first time.

As the Skaven army fully assembles in front of the walls and gate, the man-things on the wall begin to realize that something is badly amiss. Only the horse humping man-things notice the oncoming disaster, but they can do nothing but pray to their pathetic excuse of a goddess.

It's only when the man-things hear the sound of the gate breaking amidst the screams of the now-burning soldiers that they realize just how bad things are. The gate's survival was a cruel trick: the men on the walls were doomed from the start.
Did you know the right kind of spells can damage structures? Because they totally can.

The assault then begins in earnest.

Skaven spears rush the center of the town: the Skaven know that taking the center will crush the spirits of the man-things, and broken spirits are more easily crushed. Meanwhile, the enemy Lord hides in the back, leading in typical Skaven fashion.

The archers realize the danger and start killing our spears, and Great-Wise Seer Phoebos responds in kind.

Having lost the archer's support, the horse-humping man-things lose their nerve and flee, giving the honor of fighting to those left on the walls and their general.

The walls are bloody mess, but still infinity preferable to the fresh hell the enemy Lord finds himself in.

His men either notice his plight and try to save him, or are trying to escape through the tomb. This noble-selfish act leaves the remaining archers exposed and alone, and they are soon eaten.

Ha! They really were running for the tomb! Have fun with all the honor, great-magnificent Lord!

Out of anger or fear, he tries to move towards the tomb, but is invariably pushed further and further away. He gives up when a Skaven starts humping his leg so hard it breaks, and both are quickly eaten.

Even the "hardest-trickiest" siege is beneath notice; but Clan Mors has made a great many gains through my guidance, yes-yes? Mors will keep employing me, not feed me to Black Rat nursery, yes-yes? What? Long term assignment? Where-where?

Black Rat Nursery?

Daddy Grimgor, save-help me please!!!
---

AAR: So this is the end of my turn; it's been quite a ride, and Clan Mors should be better for it. Thank you to all my predecessors who helped to build Mors up, and to everyone who took the time to read through everything that was posted here. I'm curious to see where Mors ultimately ends up, how long the Orks will remain our friends, if Queen Venom Bitch betrays us before we betray her, and if the other Skaven clans are even still alive. I'm also curious to see if habeasdorkus follows a similar though pattern to my own, or if he's going to go off in a completely unrelated direction.

My Warhammer video folder got corrupted somehow, so I may or may add videos later.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 13, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Got the save loaded up. :regd08:

I'm going to turn 110, right? After 7 turns... WE ARE #1 MOST POWERFUL IN GAME. ALL HAIL ME-ME AS VISIONARY-MESSIAH OF ALL SKAVEN!

im glad each of us has some element of completely unearned glory to revel in

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Feh, you'd all still be at the gates of the City of Pillars, bankrupt, hopeless, no more than a roving band, if it wasn't for Grey-Seer ZearothK!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's the Skaven Way

The Skaven even have a test for each Skaven position: each applicant has one claw restrained and is taken inside a building with a baby and five warp tokens; then the building is set on fire. Applicants who save the baby are turned into Slaves because they are weak or abnormal, applicants who take the warp tokens are made into Clan Rats because they only do what's expected, applicants who eat the baby and take the warp tokens are made into officers or Stormvermin, and applicants who eat the baby, take the warp tokens and then murder their rivals for setting the building on fire become heroes or warlords.

It's basically the Skaven Kobayashi Maru, except for all the parts that are completely different.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, got the turns played and the fights saved. What's the easiest way to get them uploaded to youtube? Once that's done I can start putting up the updates. The first one of three is written, just need the videos so there's not a "PUT YOUTUBE VIDEO HERE" in there.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 15, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Magnificent-Marvelous History of No-Tail, Greatest of All Skaven and thus Greatest of All Creature-things.

Part One: Opulent and Imperial
Turns 95-99

: Ah, thank you for joining me-me for supper-dinner. I invited-kidnapped you so that someone could hear-witness my feats with the worthless-inconsequential Mors clan. I am wise-empathetic Skaven, and understand your concern. Worry not. I will only eat-devour the parts of you that won't stop you from hearing my my story-tale.

: Prior hand-behind-the-throne was prudent-cautious, which I discovered once I secured his warren for my own use-profit after knife-swording him from the shadows. Shame he was so careless-naive.

: Notes of dead-eaten predecessor-inferior show two paths for expansion, to the west towards the dwarf-things and man-things, and to the southeast for delicious-succulent lizard-thing meat. Possibility of betraying Greenskins and dead-things crosses my mind, but the former are too gristly, and the latter only dry skin and bones. Man-thing book I once browsed said “an army marches on its stomach.” Smartest thing man-things have ever figured out, so I used book to kindle fire for cooking them.

: Queek Headtaker is too bold-brave to be a proper Skaven, but glory-honors gather to his name. Fighting weakling western powers is waste of his acumen, and would only make him more powerful.

: Seer Phobos can handle western campaign, I-I want to take boat-ship back to Skavenblight when my work-toil here is done!

: Former occupant of my nest-warren started creating their own army-horde. I wonder if Skaven will ever notice the impostor-replacement I-I sent in his place. Still, much time before they are ready for fight-brawl, even as support.

: ZeroethK's name redounds-echoes, I-I will see if he is deserving-creditable when he marches south on lizard-things.

: Army needs blooding as soon as possible, but is weak-sad compared to all of the others under Clan Mors banner. Could not stop-halt a charging squigg.

: Former hand-behind-the-throne has mission from Clan Mors headquarters to hire-recruit a new warlord. Me-me will be ignoring this, no for potential contenders to my position-place.

: Greenskins crush-mash Human-things to the north, and march on Dwarf-things. Good Greenskins, smart-wise to not face Skaven.

: Still, no need to show weakness to the Greenskins, especially at the mighty-august City of Pillars. Defense-safety not a priority for past administrators, I-I am coming to realize.

: Need-must practice for inevitable Greenskin betrayal! Our-my Northern army will go collect their bodies for the supper table.

: Thirteenth Scheme-rite enacted! Just in time for my-my action-plan to unfold!

: Eshin Assassin “Chicken-Wing” must kill-slay lizard-thing to free ZeroethK's march south.

: Due to my clever-deceitful plan, “Chicken-Wing” is successful! All credit to my-my plan-plot. Chicken-Wing only did manual labor-drudgery, warpstone golem could have done same. Now Doom Glade stands open-agape for us.

First Battle of Doom Glade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fScx98scRbE

: I AM TRANSCENDANT-SUBLIME TACTICIAN. NO ONE WILL EVER HALT-STOP SKAVEN MARCH TO GLORY-SUPREMACY.

(Can't complain with this type of tune-up, I haven't played Total War of any type since my own Skaven campaign bogged down about a month after Total War II was released.)

: Steward of budget has informed me that there is no concern-worry about our budget as King of Gentlemen continues to outfit his new force.

: Queek Headtaker marches across hot-burning sand dunes. Still some time before my plot-machination comes to fruition-blooming.

Blooding of Ashhujiko's Mischief-Pack

(No video and few screenshots because I'm a dumdum)

: Reminded that Skavenslaves make better hors d'ouevres than fighters. Had to nosh-snack several to make up for disappointment of not being able to sink my fangs into Hydra-meat. Still, Ashhujiko showed promise and proper willingness to retreat. I-I shall provide him with an army which would inspire even Skreech Verminking!

(It became clear very quickly that we weren't going to win the fight, so I withdrew. The army as currently constituted is fit for nothing but serving as a meatshield for another army that has real troops. Time to send them in for a refit.)

: More defenses against Greenskin perfidity will be needed while Ashhijuko is mustering-conscripting!

: What is this?! Who is plotting against me-me in the seat of Clan Mors?! Could stupid-dumb Warlord Gnawdwell have realized that I-I am here? Still, this gives me-me an idea. I am only here to advance-propel myself... Once I leave, this will be someone else's problem-headache. And I-I can revel-dance explaining how only someone as clever-wise as me-me could stop this when it falls apart. Yes-yes, this is a good plan.

: “Chicken-Wing” has bad-odd name for Eshin. I will make him prove-show he is actually assassin.

: A real assassin would have killed-murdered their target. This “Chicken-Wing” is clearly a spy-ruse by my enemies. I-I must watch him closely and discretely to see who sent him against me-me and why they want to implicate-frame Clan Eshin.

: I do not trust other tribe of lizard-things to not sneak behind our army while we devour their neighbors.

: If only there were a real Eshin Assassin available, they could kill-kill these beard-things running about my-my property!

Heirs of Mourkainen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg8H2sd6Y-I

: Yes-yes, another stroll to victory against interlopers, guided by my inerrant claw. Vampire-things make for good blood pudding if they've been allowed to feed-eat first, so some clan-rats were placed before them to ensure their succulence when slain.

(This wandering mob declared war on us, so Seer Phobos was dispatched to solve the problem. Unlike the Beastmastas, Liesl von Falkenstein and her assortment of fanged things gave us no trouble.)

: Once again I-I am undermined by the fools who came before me! Why is there an army standing outside the gates and no defenses prepared?! We cannot trust the dead-things, they will betray us in a moment!

: ZeroethK and his pack-mischief head south towards the jungle to bring me the head-brains of Kroq-Gar and his Last Defenders. Last Defenders is an apropos-fitting name for these cold-blooded scale-things, as they shall always be last among creature-things, the Omega to the Skaven Alpha.

Second Battle of Doom-Glade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3IqW6rbPiQ

: I-I have snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat! ZeroethK the loser-weakling was pounced upon at the border by the lizard-things, and it is only though my-my cunning that his forces escaped more or less unscathed. Lizard-things pushed hard-fast on ZeroethK's lines, and the fool-idiot let them get into close combat! The Horned Rat should thank-praise me for sneaking the army out from under the nose of the lizard-things. Still, any balking of my plans-plots is an unacceptable insult. Kroq-Gar's head shall serve as my toilet.

(I'd forgotten how much of a pain in the rear end fighting the lizards were, when they drop in morale they just berserk and wreck poo poo. I was never able to keep my lines organized after the initial charge, and they had too much heavy poo poo that just pushed my clanrats face in. Chicken Wing went down to Kroq-Gar in almost single combat, I was too busy trying to prevent a total rout to save him. I was able to concede the fight without losing any units other than him, though, and Kroq-Gar had to retreat to recover his own serious losses, so it's essentially a draw.)

: All Skaven will know about ZeroethK's weakness. They are no Thanqol! This pleases-delights me, one fewer competitor for power-strength in Clan Mors territory.

: ZeroethK grumble-whinges at needing to be saved by me-me. It inspires a desire to see enemies immolated in warpfire and madness. I-I shall cultivate-nurse this predilection to my advantage, yes-yes.

: At least fake-imposter Assassin “Chicken-Wing” will no longer threaten me-me. I-I gloat-laugh at whoever pulled strings to get that rat placed close to me-me. I am smarter-cannier than any Skaven ever weaned, and no rat takes No-tail unawares!

: No sooner is “Chicken-Wing” in the ground than a “Chicken-Bone” appears for service at Granite Massiff. What type of fool-idiot do my secret foes take me-me for?!

: With my warlords and seers en marche according to my machinations-intrigues, I-I turn to our less hostile neighbors. My renowned-acclaimed diplomacy shall see us take these Greenskins for fools!

: The emissary-dead thing appears to have been trying to cut a side deal with Grimgor on the side! This treason is the only reason my-my offer would not have been accepted by that oaf-brute! Good help is so-so hard to find.

: Perhaps after the example made of the last rat to fail me I-I will be able to convey my demands to Khemri.

: Treason again! I-I am surrounded by the false and the craven! I will slaughter-butcher the entire diplomatic corps if they should fail-betray me again!

: They seek to topple-undermine me-me. It shall not happen! I-I shall strike back with the force of a thousand warpfire cannon! At least, as soon as I have finished with this fine repast-refection. Thank you for your courtesy in stopping your scream-crying somewhere around the third course. Now, as you no longer have any need for your ears...

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 16, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Of course the rebel army that spawns would contain an entire force of nothing but elite anti-infantry units with rampage. Why spawn something that isn't a dedicated pain in the rear end to deal with? You'd think an Ork rebel army would at least contain some actual Orks, but no, of course not.

The Skavenslaves are only there to crew towers and so the army doesn't lose loyalty over having too few stacks; too bad there isn't room for a Weapon Burrow unless a fort gets torn down.

Kroq-Gar was a reminder to turn off skirmish for the Poison Globes: all those times they come to dead stop, move an inch, and then start shooting at an entirely new target really adds up. Hell, I don't even know why such a close range unit even *has* skirmish, since they can't avoid being near the frontline if they want to attack.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
rip in peace chicken wing. punched by dwarfs, eaten by lizards

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Anything happened?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Working on the writeup

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This looks fun. I should get into this.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

There's an open spot after me before we recycle back to the top of the list. I should be done with my turn by the end of this coming weekend.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Beloved-Anticipated, Magnificent-Marvelous History of No-Tail, Greatest of All Skaven and Thus Greatest of All Creature-things.

Part Two: Plans Within Plans
Turns 100-104

: Brood-brothers! It is so good to see you again after so long. I-I bet that you never thought you'd see-hear me again! I remember in the whelping pits, you-you called me No-tail as prank-jibe. I-I am keen humorist Skaven, I-I understand it was merely in fun. But I-I have a new name for all of you, in same gag-joke you played on me after cutting off my tail. Your new name is dinner-feast. And in your honor-glory before you become a part of my flesh-blood, let me tell you how I rose so far-high from that runt-thing.

: Brave-stupid Queek has finally arrived at correct place! Scuttle-hurry under those mountains.

: Yes-yes! Flanking plan-scheme has reached fruition! Now Lizard-things shall die-die caught between claws of Queek and ZeroethK!

: New recruits have been stolen-brought from their warrens, and army is restored repaired just in time to march south to destroy Teotiqua Lizard-things before turning to stomp on Kroq-Gars nasty-dull head-brains.

: No! My area to purge-desecrate Ork-things! Still, may be able to entice them to act as meatshield for Clan Mors. Dying on behalf of Skaven is as a good a death as any non-Skaven could dream of having, and only thing non-Skaven are good at is dying.

: Weak army has learned lesson, yes-yes. Retreat-scarper to home province-warren to become stronger!

: Dwarf-things refuse to fight-die against our great-terrible armies, so I become bored with playing cat and Skaven. Time to head north and take port-sea!

: Wandering horde of beast-things has destroyed man-things enclave, opening new land for mighty Underempire! Much easier than having to fight our way through, spending time raiding Dwarf-things was obviously successful and evidence of my tactical-practical brilliance!

: Not only is way cleared to Martek, but King Of Gentlemen now has artillery, and enough clanrats to aid-support Seer Phobos against Man-things. March-move to Bel Aliad, rats!

: What? Cooperation? What is this trick-deviancy?! Now I must face combined Lizard-thing instead of conquering at leisure! This must be some mendacious action of my enemies, Lizard-things too slow and stupid to come up with it on their own.

: March, stupid Ashhujiko, you need different-better soldiers!

: March, moderately smart ZearothK, Lybaras and Queek both stand ready upon your arrival to burn-pillage all of Lizard-thing's property!

: Yes, good. New armor is welcome, protects me-me from shiv-knifes to kidneys. Kill the search party, no-no witnesses to what I have found-gained so that future assassins know to use something other than blades when they make last mistake of their worthless-inconsequential lives!

: Hmm, false-fake Eshin Assassin that seems curiously like “Chicken-Wing” outsmarts Lizard-thing I sent to kill-slay him. This one is devious, would be good Skaven if he were not sent to undermine me-me.

: “Fake-Chicken-Wing” is dangerous! I should send him further afield so that he can't come back to take revenge on me for trying to have him assassinated!

: MORE DOOMWHEELS.

: Kroq-Gar asks for parlay and temporary cessation of hostilities. Naturally, we reject and send tail-bones of emissaries as answer.

: Man-things are attempting to raise-muster a defense. But it is too late for them, they will be devoured by nightfall!

Battle of Martek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgAoaxpoRyw

: Why-why do humans live in such tall-lofty towers? Nevermind, they shall topple-fall before the day is out.

: Skavenslaves are ordered to march forward while artillery reduces the defenses of the Man-thing city.

: Slaves serve adequately to draw arrows from better-stronger Skaven, as well as provide victuals while on march. I-I kill two bats with one Eshin throwing star!

: Rest of battle involves breaking down walls and defenses from safety of long range, then sending least loyal infantry forward to rout remaining Man-things. A full and total success from all angles, and we are within range of the mighty-august sea-ocean at last. I-I can feel the anticipation of my just desserts, once I reveal that it was me-me who made this all possible!

: Predecessor-inferior had Elf-thing slave at some point, but was tricked and suffered for it... I-I am no fool, me-me sees wheels within wheels.

: I-I AM SOLE CAUSE-FONT OF DOMINANCE OVER ALL THE WORLD! THE UNDEREMPIRE SHUDDERS AT CLAN MORS RISE! I-I must plan for return to Skavenblight to capitalize on this prestige-honor.

: Man-things bow-scrape with tribute for momentary respite.

: Clan Mors demands tenfold, and plans to break truce regardless.

: Excellent, exactly as planned!

: Wait? Why has Lybaras broken off attack on Lizard-things, and why does Dead-thing army march-move towards undefended Lahmia? Who has betrayed me-me?! How dare they cavort-scheme with Dead-things to tarnish-stain my-my reputation?

: I must move quick-fast to prevent their action-plans from accomplishing my downfall! Fine stewardship-greed at least allows me-me to prepare for any Dead-thing perfidity. But for now, My brood-brothers... let us end this meeting-chat. It was so good to see you again, one last time.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 27, 2018

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sorry about the delay in getting things written up. One more update (with 3 giganto-battles) and then I'll be done!

Direct link to the save is here.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Supreme-Transcendent, Beloved-Anticipated, Magnificent-Marvelous History of No-Tail, Greatest of All Skaven and Thus Greatest of All Creature-things.

Part Three: Sea Breeze and Slave-thing Screams
Turns 105-109

: Man-thing slave, did you ever hear about old-past Skaven clerk who had an Elf-thing slave? Fool-stupid clerk thought Elf-thing would teach him magic-power. Ruined his plans-traps. That's why I merely amputate-butcher you for food-meat. But as our time together is growing near and my post-prandial sleep-nap draws nigh, let me tell you how I came to this palace-manse by the sea.

: Stupid treasonous earlier skaven! We're going to be betrayed by dead-things!!!

: Lizard-things staying just out of range of our forces. Unacceptable! Cowardly cold-blood cravens! We must ambush them, yes-yes.

Battle with Kroq-Gar-thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8GSuZIMfI

: Yes, yes! Kroq-Gar-thing blundered into his doom! We are entirely free to pillage-infest the southwest corner of the world-map! Entire Lizard-thing army lies dead before me-me and my genius!

(I didn't expect that to go quite so well, especially given how quickly they caved in the center of my line. But the artillery evened things out, and once Kroq-Gar broke the entire Last Defenders army fell apart and nothing escaped.)

: Ooooh, Kroq-Gar had much shiny things with him. Can afford MORE DOOMWHEELS. NEVER ENOUGH DOOMWHEELS.

: Queek earns too much fear-respect for fighting that big lizard-thing. Someone might tell him that it was only because of me-me that the Lizard-things came to fight. Almost time for me to take my leave of this far off corner of the world.

: Since ambush worked so well on Kroq-Gar and lizard-things, man-things have no chance of not being stupid-dumb and walking into trap-doom.

Battle with Fool Man-things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHd9tJyVYc

: Man-things and their slave-quadrapeds are no match for Skaven! So much lovely warp lightning throwing them about like whelplings in a Rat Ogre feeding tray!

(The skirmishers did an amazing job keeping their main lord and a bundle of units occupied when they should have been charging our line. Between that and three units of knights chasing a summoned clanrats unit all the way off the map and not making it back until the rest of the army was broken, this was a complete triumph. Artillery is the queen of the battlefield, which I guess makes Skaven artillery the Maleficent of the battlefield.)

: Yes-yes, we have beastly allies now. Will they go and kill the dwarf-things for me?

: Excellent, you stupid ox-face-things. Go die-die for me-me while I finish off the man-things to the north!

Man-Things turned to meat-food
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfu98Q4miQw

: Yes yes! Man-things still no match for Skaven Artillery! Now the way to the sea lies clear!

(I didn't do a very good job picking a spot where the warp lightning cannons could actually target the enemy due to the ridgeline, and I got most of a stormvermin halbred unit killed by letting them chase a breaking unit. Even so, this fight was never going to be close the way the first fight could have been and the fight with the Last Defenders was.)

Oceans Are Mine-mine!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FvCJIeDBEk

: I CAN SMELL THE SALT. I CAN SEE THE WAVES. I AM NOW ABLE TO RETURN HOME!

(Not much to say here, except I guess you can't climb onto the top of the gates if you blow up the walls next to them. Also, those Skavenslave slingers finally bought it, they've been excellent bait throughout my entire reign.)

: I ALSO SMELL A LOT OF MONEY!

: Yes-yes, name this after No-Tail, and forever remember that you were once blessed to serve under the greatest of all of the Horned Rat's servants.

: Dead-things want access agreement? Fine, pay us.

: No-Tail is smartest Skaven, getting money for agreement we can break later.

: Last Man-thing “hero” appeared and demanded single combat with me-me. After he had been blown to smithereens I-I agreed and kicked his skull as far as I could. I-I am the winner!

: I won single combat and all Man-things are dead. I am not only smartest but strongest of Skaven!

: Stupid-dumb King of Gentlemen learns how to fight Man-things just in time to see all of Man-things dead!

: My only regret is not being able to use this wonderful army to crush-squish enemies of the Underempire myself.

: Yes-yes, when I leave you, remember my lessons about how you can never have enough ammunition and replacement warp coils.

: I-I have set my successor up for difficulty. Not only is home of Clan Mors close to revolt, but they have little money and settling new warrens has cost our food stockpiles a fair amount. They will never have as much success as I-I had! I am best-cleverest Skaven!

: Not-not my problem. I-I am sure that this Archaon-Everchosen is not a threat to the mighty Skaven forces I leave my successor.

: It is time to flee-return to Skavenblight! Come, man-thing-slave! I have so many sights to show you!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, sorry about holding things up. Thanks for giving me a chance to take a turn. I absolutely love the Skaven, they're one of the most fun evil things in fiction. I kinda wish they'd end up in 40k where i'm pretty sure they'd take over part of the Warp and figure out a way to enslave Chaos demons to their own use.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

Ok, sorry about holding things up. Thanks for giving me a chance to take a turn. I absolutely love the Skaven, they're one of the most fun evil things in fiction. I kinda wish they'd end up in 40k where i'm pretty sure they'd take over part of the Warp and figure out a way to enslave Chaos demons to their own use.

Who says they haven't already? :tinfoil:

Great update! And looks like we're closing our southern borders. Is this Chaos Invasion already including hordes from the south or is that only later?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

habeasdorkus posted:

Honestly, the more I read about the Mechanicus, the more I'm convinced they're Skaven in disguise. Arch-Magos Q-Eek of Forgeworld Skryre wouldn't be much amiss...

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
More ammo for more pew pew!

We're back to the top of the order now?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I'll take whoever is interested in taking on the mantle rather than going in order.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

lurksion posted:

We're back to the top of the order now?

Unless Gridlocked wanted to take a turn, and they didn't post anything since October 23rd, yep!

inscrutable horse posted:

Honestly, the more I read about the Mechanicus, the more I'm convinced they're Skaven in disguise. Arch-Magos Q-Eek of Forgeworld Skryre wouldn't be much amiss...

Not enough over the top backstabbing to quite do it, and I'm pretty sure their reliance on placating the machine spirits would keep them from creating interesting new inventions. But there's definitely similarities.

ZearothK posted:

Who says they haven't already? :tinfoil:

Is this Chaos Invasion already including hordes from the south or is that only later?

I'm pretty sure they're only in the north for the time being, I haven't seen them in the south yet.

Also, direct link to the save is here.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Save will no longer work because of new patch. You could download a beta patch to solve this, but I think people are going to be more interested in new content.

This means that Clan Mors is victorious! You have 15 minutes to collect your things before Lord Gnawdwell's security globadiers start gassing everyone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thanks to everyone who played! It was a lot of fun to read.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Patch notes claimed saves would be compatible, was that not true?

quote:

Single player campaign saves are unaffected, and any you have from before the Aye Aye! Patch will be compatible with the updated game.

I thought the old beta patch was kept around for MP campaigns, which do break according to the patch notes.

e: My old TK campaign seems to load at least. Didn't try to actually do anything, but if the map changes broke saves I wouldn't expect it to load at all.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2018

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Oh I see. Well in that case the warren gassings have been called off and you may return to your stations at once.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yes-yes! This story cannot end before someone follows in my footsteps, so I can mock mercilessly when they fail to live up to my high standards!

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I'll play a round during the weekend

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, you can still load old saves. CA is even on record as avoiding some changes in order to maintain save compatibility. They did add a note about MP campaigns being affected, but also did say that SP is fine.

Our only loss is that we won't fight Zombie Pirates in the Border Princes and Tilea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Some minor faction pirates might spawn, at least. Or at least fight them over treasure island battles.

• Locked thread