Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXXVIII: Covenant

:siren: Video: Click Here For the Ending of Shadow Hearts! :siren:
It's exactly the same until the post-credits.

Nobody believed the crazy tales from the Welsh about how an unholy castle rose from the sea and exploded just shortly before...

...whatever the hell all of this looked like from the ground. Indeed, I don't think anyone even so much as casually mentions the time a golden halo encircled the planet for a few weeks. People back in the early 1900s lost interest in that sort of phenomena extraordinarily quickly, you see.

Music: Black Cat Floating in Blue Sky

And so, our battle came to an end. The god awakened by human hands was returned to sleep once again by human hands. On the morning after, a refreshing breeze blew across Wales and the horrible events leading up to yesterday seemed like nothing more than a bad dream. Soon, it was time to say farewell to everyone.

There was a day with nice weather in Wales. So you know something weird was up.

Keith, our handsome vampire, grew weary of the hustle and bustle of the outside world and so he returned, once again, to his peaceful castle in Transylvania. I wonder how long he’ll sleep this time. Goodnight and sweet dreams, dear friend...

Keith REALLY wants to just take a nap but he's too polite to tell his succubus roommates to give it a rest for the night.

Master Zhuzhen, our brave Adept, has gone back to Shanghai to mend the disruptions in the energy fields of China. You taught us so much, Master Zhuzhen. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. And please, try not to over-exert yourself!

Thus Zhuzhen went back to the land where random battles were at a reasonable rate for a guy still only at Level 29 at his age.

Our beloved spy for hire said she planned to go home to Paris, but she joked that her next assignment was probably already waiting for her. So there’s no telling where she might be right now.

Well, she has about three more years to go before she faces a firing squad for being just an awful spy. So there is that...

Halley, that cute little street boy we met in London, set sail from Southampton with his mother, Koudelka, to find his long-lost father in America. Finally, they’ll be able to live together as a family. I pray you’ll all find happiness.

And they were never heard from again... Even in the spin-off sequel that takes place in America 15 years later that would be an easy lay-up for a nice little cameo.

As for me... I’m headed for Zurich, where my mother’s waiting. With Yuri, of course!

"Hey, mom. So you might have heard dad exploded a year back. Sorry, I haven't gotten in touch with you. I got teleported to China and then taken into custody by Imperial Japan before a warlock tried to abduct me. It's a really long story. Anyway, that's how I met Yuri here. He is a... hmm... between jobs. And residencies. We've had quite the adventure together. So, is it OK if we move home for a bit while we sort things out...?"

Music: Shadow Hearts

In the stardust desert, an abandoned fish tank and us
With our arms around our knees,
By the moonlight that fell on the water's surface
And the shades of flowing clouds I measured the time.

What I see with open eyes is the heat haze - a lie
What I only see with eyes closed might be the future
Now, with closed eyes, I’m watching you.
Shadow hearts colour’d all in blue. Shadow.

The endless caravan drags its heavy feet,
Continuing to the other side of the horizon

Surely this wounded world is filled with wounded people among us also.
If that fish tank were to overflow with the tears of the fish and the blood this planet sheds
Would everyone realize their mistakes?

Now, with my eyes closed,
I’ll listen to your dream.
Shadow.

What I see with open eyes is the heat haze - a lie
What I only see with eyes closed might be the future
Now, with closed eyes, I’m watching you.

Shadow hearts color'd all in blue. Shadow.
Shadow hearts color'd all in blue. Shadow.

Hey, it's almost like that was the same exact ending. Well, here comes the key difference...

As the warlock said in the end...

...even if another age of storms buffets this world...

I intend to go on living and fighting. For you who freed me from the darkness.

For the one I love...

I mean... Franz Ferdinand was an archduke, not a prince, but the outcome was the same...

In retrospect, it was probably kind of ominous they named it World War I as soon as it started. For reference, this blurb also appeared in the Good Ending path. I just omitted it because well... "Hey, by the way Europe is engulfed in one of the most horrific wars in human history until the next one in a couple decades" is a bit much of a bummer for an ending that isn't even canon.

In any event, that is the canonical conclusion of Shadow Hearts. It was a strange, kind of blatantly rushed in places, somewhat sloppily translated and very poorly balanced journey full of early PS2 era jank. But I still enjoyed my time with it, warts and all, none the less. And I hope you did too.

It's a shame Yuri and Alice's story ends on such a downer note. But, I suppose it cannot be helped... Shadow Hearts the last game Sacnoth Digital Entertainment ever made, after all...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Aside from the previous stuff with the masks, that was a surprisingly subdued death. Still super sad though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thanks TDI, it's been a pretty good ride, as always.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, that was a bit of a bummer.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was half expecting this ending to bleed out cast members, or at least for Alice to die before the epilogue. But she held on bravely until the end, going out not with a bang but with a whimper. Oh and then the Great War happened, The End! Goddamn, what a bummer. :smith:

Thanks for showing off Koudelka 1 and 2! They've got flaws but they're both charming games and now I know why the Shadow Hearts series has the following it does.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Atman you jerk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love Shadow Hearts, weird as it is. I think it gets the mix between 'everyone's a goddamn occult superhero now' and 'oh gently caress everything is on fire' from Koudelka down really well. Thanks for showing it off. I lost my copy a long time ago and it was great to see it again.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Thanks for the fun reminiscent ride back through one of the first PS2 games I ever played, TDI!

Brainamp posted:

Aside from the previous stuff with the masks, that was a surprisingly subdued death. Still super sad though.

Yeah, like I remembered it for sure being more blatant and in your face. It must've just been the masks and Atman being so ridiculous about it that I half-remembered that as being what happened directly.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Back on page 25 I made some predictions at the halfway point. Let's see how I did!

quote:

Confident predictions:

- Yuri's mind graveyard opens up and the party will enter it. We get to see what's behind that huge door.
- The Japanese Army will continue to be mostly useless, but will provide key info about Col. Hyuga, leading to unlocking the mind graveyard.
- Alice and Bacon are blood related, since they're the only British characters.
- We'll be thrown into the middle of World War I. The remainder of the game will hinge around Roger Bacon trying to prolong the war.

1. Mind graveyard - YES
2. Japanese Army useless - YES
info about Hyuga - NO
3. Alice and Bacon related - NO
4. World War I - NOT QUITE

Correct: 1.5 / 4

quote:

Less confident predictions:

- Zhuzhen died. :rip:
- Shanghai is rebuilt as Neo Shanghai with anti-demon laser towers.
- Roger Bacon is a blood descendant of the Koudelka Roger Bacon. But he didn't (Koudelka spoiler)inherit full immortality so has been plotting to attain the missing piece, requiring a lot of killing.
- Yuri's parents are both alive and will appear from the mind graveyard door.
- Alice and Yuri's parents together have the power to summon the Koudelka Roger Bacon, who will save the day.
- Yuri will die, but he somehow gets Alice pregnant first.

1. Zhuzhen died - NO :unsmith:
2. Shanghai rebuilt with laser towers - UNKNOWN but let's say YES
3. Bacon descendant of Bacon - NO
4. Yuri's parents are alive - NO
They appear from the mind graveyard - YES
5. Alice and Yuri's parents team up to summon OG Roger Bacon - NO
6. Yuri dies and gets Alice pregnant - NO

Correct: 1.5 / 6

Let's tally those up... AW YEAH that's a 100% correct prediction rate! out of a total of 333%

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

At least Koudelka and her psychic kid get a happy ending either way :unsmith:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In the end, there are some things not even punching can solve. Well, not canonically in any case.

Great LP as always, we can only hope they make a sequel one day so that you can do that one too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
If this is the last Sacnoth Entertainment game I can at least pretend the good ending is the canonically correct ending...

Yes I know Shadow Hearts 2 does something interesting with this, but its way too soon to talk about that

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, thanks for this. It's been so long since I played this game that half of it was new to me all over again.

On the other hand, there's SCHLOOOOP SKREEEEEE, a triumph of voice acting which has never left the crevices of my brain, ever.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

What isn't fun is the party were this fight took fifteen minutes.
Thanks for the LP.

Looking forward to the next one.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Oh boy. We saved the world just in time for the largest, most brutal war in history to start. Followed by an even bigger sequel in about twenty five years. Yay.

Yeah, knowing actual history does kind of make Simon seem like he had a bit of a point.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It could have been cool if Alice straight up died before the final boss battle. Would have made some people probably think that maybe Meta-God or Albert had some kind of indirect hand in it, and made you that much more pumped to get this poo poo over with. Disgaea did something similar to that too.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Always a pleasure following your LPs, TDI. Thanks for showing the good ending, which I didn't figure out as a teenager. I'm gonna just pretend Yuri and Alice get to have a nice life together.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've seen characters die in other games before, but for some reason Alice dying this way in the cutscene is particularly sad and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because she didn't even get to see home one last time, but at least she got to be with Yuri at the end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've seen characters die in other games before, but for some reason Alice dying this way in the cutscene is particularly sad and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's because she didn't even get to see home one last time, but at least she got to be with Yuri at the end.

We also know it could have been prevented, and Yuri doesn't even really know why it happened.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's super understated, which usually doesn't happen when it comes to death in video games, where its usually bombastic and melodramatic stuff like people going out in a blaze of glory or getting a long impassioned dying speech.

Alice just dies quietly in her sleep.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2019

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So wait are those slides about Franz Ferdinand in the default ending? Does the good ending stop WWI?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kavak posted:

So wait are those slides about Franz Ferdinand in the default ending? Does the good ending stop WWI?

The Dark Id posted:

For reference, this blurb also appeared in the Good Ending path. I just omitted it because well... "Hey, by the way Europe is engulfed in one of the most horrific wars in human history until the next one in a couple decades" is a bit much of a bummer for an ending that isn't even canon.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I read gud

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Accordion Man posted:

It's super understated, which usually doesn't happen when it comes to death in video games, where its usually bombastic and melodramatic stuff like people going out in a blaze of glory or getting a long impassioned dying speech.

Alice just dies quietly in her sleep.

Yeah, that’s something you rarely see in most media, and almost never in video games. No speech, no goodbye, no wailing loved ones, no gloating villain or grand action scene. Nothing but silence in what was supposed to be the moment of triumph.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth noting that if you play it blind and don't know about secret endings this is the ending you get. You spend the entire buildup waiting for some kind of twist/last second fight/whatever and... nope

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Thanks for the LP! Like your others, it's been a pleasure to read.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

It was a good run, TDI. Hope to see you again...

Since I'm a loser who can't stand to miss content in an RPG, I had a FAQ open and got the good ending for my one play through. Like other people said, I was really surprised at how understated Alice's death was. like, wow. It's far more moving that way, IMO.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Geostomp posted:

Oh boy. We saved the world just in time for the largest, most brutal war in history to start. Followed by an even bigger sequel in about twenty five years. Yay.

Yeah, knowing actual history does kind of make Simon seem like he had a bit of a point.

Sadly, Europe's totally hosed political situation was not a problem that punching real hard could solve. :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, I mentioned it before; it was -going- to happen, one way or another. Albert was basically going "They can't murder millions in a pointless war if I murder everyone first!"

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

StandardVC10 posted:

Sadly, Europe's totally hosed political situation was not a problem that punching real hard could solve. :smith:

You just need to punch the right people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NullBlack posted:

You just need to punch the right people.

If only Yuri could have been in the right place at the right time to punch away that bullet that shot archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If only Yuri could have been in the right place at the right time to punch away that bullet that shot archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Failing that:

-Punch Kaiser Franz Josef and his ministers in the face to convince them not to issue an ultimatum that would lead to war with Serbia and Russia.
-Punch the Tsar in the face to convince him his army's not in any state to challenge Germany.
-Punch Kaiser Wilhelm and the German General Staff in the face to convince them not to escalate the war. (Also works for Part 1)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Thanks for showing this game off thedarkid. Silly as it is this series needs more love.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'd say the only other game that does a subtle death scene like that is (spoiler for a 10 year old game) Persona 3

Thanks again, as always, Id. I found this LP to be really cozy for some weird reason :kimchi: probably because I binged most of the thread before bed .

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This has been a fun lp to follow especially since before you started lping this series I had no idea it existed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This was a good ride

How long until Shadow Hearts 2 :haw:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When this started, I was excited but also thought to myself, "Do we really need another LP of the Shadow Hearts when there's already one here?" Apparently we do, because this thing loving kicked rear end!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kavak posted:

Failing that:

-Punch Kaiser Franz Josef and his ministers in the face to convince them not to issue an ultimatum that would lead to war with Serbia and Russia.
-Punch the Tsar in the face to convince him his army's not in any state to challenge Germany.
-Punch Kaiser Wilhelm and the German General Staff in the face to convince them not to escalate the war. (Also works for Part 1)

In Tsarist Russia wouldn't you have to punch Rasputin too, for the sake of this argument?
Rasputin should also be punched on general principles, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think the videos for the other SH LPs got lost to the ether when the video host it was on went kablooey. There's so many video and hybrid LPs that became unusuable due to DailyMotion, Vimeo or some other host dying.