Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks for the LP, id. I had seen/read a LP of this ages ago but I forgot basically everything.

Robindaybird posted:

I think the videos for the other SH LPs got lost to the ether when the video host it was on went kablooey. There's so many video and hybrid LPs that became unusuable due to DailyMotion, Vimeo or some other host dying.

It's been interesting seeing the video situation in LP develop over the years. Youtube used to be that one you did begrudgingly so you had a back up because the quality was so low, meanwhile [insert host here] that's the real hotness.
but then that host would die, so they'd move to another. And youtube remained in the background.
Then this repeats itself as youtube ever so slowly finally becomes a mix of a better overall viewing experience and also the only one left standing

DailyMotion, Vimeo, Blip, GameVee, pretty sure there were 2 other big ones at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for another wacky ride, Id!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

rannum posted:

Thanks for the LP, id. I had seen/read a LP of this ages ago but I forgot basically everything.

It's been interesting seeing the video situation in LP develop over the years. Youtube used to be that one you did begrudgingly so you had a back up because the quality was so low, meanwhile [insert host here] that's the real hotness.
but then that host would die, so they'd move to another. And youtube remained in the background.
Then this repeats itself as youtube ever so slowly finally becomes a mix of a better overall viewing experience and also the only one left standing

DailyMotion, Vimeo, Blip, GameVee, pretty sure there were 2 other big ones at some point.

Viddler and Veoh.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Viddler was one of them. Google Video also used to be a thing that existed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Omobono posted:

In Tsarist Russia wouldn't you have to punch Rasputin too, for the sake of this argument?
Rasputin should also be punched on general principles, mind you.

Eh, the real Rasputin wasn't so bad. I mean he wasn't so great, but he wasn't so bad. He was just a two bit conman in the wrong place at the wrong time. He got lucky when he gave the Tsarina some decent medical advice about her hemophiliac son
(which was pretty much "stop having people poke at him so much and let him heal on his own") and she was so grateful she invited him to live at the palace and he was all 'Sweet! a chance to drink free royal vodka! I'm riding this scam straight to the top!'. He didn't really do much good, but honestly the rumors of the bad he did were greatly exaggerated. He kinda just lay around drinking, telling the tsarina to relax and chill out about her son, and having sex with anyone who offered until he got murdered.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 22, 2019

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Right, and the ultimate decision lay with the Tsar. Both Germany and Austro-Hungary were partially autocratic but not on the scale of the Russian Empire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kavak posted:

Right, and the ultimate decision lay with the Tsar. Both Germany and Austro-Hungary were partially autocratic but not on the scale of the Russian Empire.

Yeah, poor Nicholas II, he was just SO bad at his job at a time when Russia really could not afford to have a mediocre leader (especially a mediocre military leader).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

In Tsarist Russia wouldn't you have to punch Rasputin too, for the sake of this argument?
Rasputin should also be punched on general principles, mind you.

Of all the things they tried on him, I don't think he was punched. That could have saved them a bunch of time, poison, bullets and knife wear and tear.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Thanks for the great LP, Id!
Looking forward to the sequel.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Good work as always, Id.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Geostomp posted:

Oh boy. We saved the world just in time for the largest, most brutal war in history to start. Followed by an even bigger sequel in about twenty five years. Yay.

Yeah, knowing actual history does kind of make Simon seem like he had a bit of a point.

Does it??? Is murdering every person on the planet somehow better than letting significantly less people than that die in a war? Simon has the most pedestrian take ever, people mistreating each other is bad, and the only thing he can come up with for a solution is "kill everyone and start over". He doesn't even seem to have any plan on how he's going to create a new perfect humanity after he kills this one!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Does it??? Is murdering every person on the planet somehow better than letting significantly less people than that die in a war? Simon has the most pedestrian take ever, people mistreating each other is bad, and the only thing he can come up with for a solution is "kill everyone and start over". He doesn't even seem to have any plan on how he's going to create a new perfect humanity after he kills this one!

I’m not saying his plan wasn’t horrendous, just that he had more understanding of the horrors to come than we give him credit for. Like a lot of villains, he had a somewhat accurate view of the problem, but an insane idea of the solution.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Dead people can't suffer! :pseudo:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zereth posted:

Dead people can't suffer! :pseudo:

Given the number of tormented spirits we've seen in this world this is a big assumption to make.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Alice :smith:

Thanks for LPing this for us.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, ww1 caused such ridiculous amounts of human suffering that you could make an argument that euthanizing humanity instead would be preferable.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Thank you for such a great LP, it was fun to follow.

Even if there seem to be people actually buying into the "redeemed villain"-part.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Albert's so charming you just can't help but like him a bit.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Wipfmetz posted:

Thank you for such a great LP, it was fun to follow.

Even if there seem to be people actually buying into the "redeemed villain"-part.
He's one of the better villains in jRPGs, thanks to his appearance and demeanor.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
He's been alive for hundreds of years, if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat maybe he could have spent some of those helping people avoid the Great War instead of throwing Joe Serf under the bus because surprise the ruling authorities punished him for questioning them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ultrafilter posted:

Albert's so charming you just can't help but like him a bit.

The best moment in the game is when he gets beaned in the back of the head from rubble. It's such a small touch but it goes a long way to making the character feel rounded.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Thanks for the LP. It was one of the few reasons I still come to this site.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

I dont know posted:

The best moment in the game is when he gets beaned in the back of the head from rubble. It's such a small touch but it goes a long way to making the character feel rounded.

Yeah, that's a pretty fun bit of "well, we just killed off the villain we'd been both building up as a threat while also mocking with Yuri, so now we need to get going on tearing down the next main villain, since we've really only made him threatening" and it happens literally in the first cutscene after Dehuai is defeated.

Episode LXXXVI

The Dark Id posted:

So that'll need to be sorted out every 16 round.
"rounds

Episode LXXXVII

The Dark Id posted:

a ten-minute chunk of your life you'll never get back. Back such is the dark underbelly of editing an LP.

What isn't fun is the party were this fight took fifteen minutes.
Pretty sure it's "part where" on that last one. Thanks for the LP.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
This LP got me to pick up From the New World again. Thanks, The Dark Id.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pedant Police: Archduke Ferdinand was the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time of his death. I thought he gave it up to marry his wife, but it looks like that only applied to their kids. Being in line for the throne is 9/10ths of what being a prince is about so I would give them a pass for this one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

habituallyred posted:

Pedant Police: Archduke Ferdinand was the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time of his death. I thought he gave it up to marry his wife, but it looks like that only applied to their kids. Being in line for the throne is 9/10ths of what being a prince is about so I would give them a pass for this one.

You're probably thinking of Edward VIII who abdicated to marry an American divorcee. However the previous heir, Kronprinz Rudolf, committed suicide with his 17-year-old mistress in 1889.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
In case anyone's been skipping videos in updates: Watch all the way to the end of that last ending video, same as at the end of the Koudelka thread.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

DanielCross posted:

In case anyone's been skipping videos in updates: Watch all the way to the end of that last ending video, same as at the end of the Koudelka thread.

Well then! We know what game he's tackling next.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yep, segue from Shadow Hearts to Kingdom Hearts. Nice.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Yep, segue from Shadow Hearts to Kingdom Hearts. Nice.

It should be Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

DanielCross posted:

Awww gently caress yeah son!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It should be Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht.

Nah, Superman 64.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Kemix posted:

Nah, Superman 64.

Oh come on he's clearly playing Legaia 2: Duel Saga next, it's so obvious! :cheeky:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Honestly I feel like Legaia 2 would be right up TDI's alley, it's a cheesy as gently caress kung-fu flick and goes all in on that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Legaia 2 is weird to me; I loved the first game, but the second one has like not a goddamn thing to do with it, other than one single enemy who pops up very rarely if at all outside of a required quest and the world still being named the same. It just feels like they slapped the Legaia name on it hoping for brand recognition or something.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Legaia 2 is weird to me; I loved the first game, but the second one has like not a goddamn thing to do with it, other than one single enemy who pops up very rarely if at all outside of a required quest and the world still being named the same. It just feels like they slapped the Legaia name on it hoping for brand recognition or something.

I have a weird relationship with the first Legaia because I have no idea why I love that game so much. Every boss fight is repetitive and it's incredibly tedious.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I would not want to inflict Legaia 2 on him. I mean sure, the Legaia battle system is an interesting concept, but by the end of the game my combos were taking so long to complete I was reading a book during the battles.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I never ended up finishing the first as I ended up underlevelled and with not enough healing items in an area of no return, or least I think I was underlevelled for the final fight with Songi

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
at last, the TDI charles barkley shut up and jam gaiden LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have a weird relationship with the first Legaia because I have no idea why I love that game so much. Every boss fight is repetitive and it's incredibly tedious.

Part of the reason I love it is, to my young mind at the time, the very idea of the Seru and the whole magic system was cool as gently caress and I loved the poo poo out of it. Mind you, I've always been a fan of Guyver and similar animes, so the whole 'living/sentient armor' bit is an easy way to get my interest :v:

2 replaced it with a generic-rear end 'spirits of the elements' type thing :saddowns: