Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Frankly, Rude Hero seems like a more fitting name for this dude than Yuri. He's unexpectedly forthright about the whole "a voice in my head told me to do this" thing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

TalkLittle posted:

It's hilarious to me that Yuri builds up immense anger and hatred, probably mixed with some guilt, by beating the poo poo out of monsters for so many years. And his solution is to... beat the poo poo out of monsters in his imagination in order to assuage those feelings.

When all you have is a hammer...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So we now have at least three villains, but they all kinda can't stand each other. I'll be happy if we get some kind of sorcerous Mexican standoff later.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dark Id is a family man now, he doesn't have time to photoshop Packers cheese heads onto every appearance of a character anymore. We can both regret and celebrate this.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Camel Pimp posted:

I kinda love that the aspect of Mata Hari that this game draws on is the spy aspect. Ya know, something which I believe historians aren't 100% sure Mata Hari actually ever was, and if she was, she wasn't very good at it. Although let's be real, Margie here isn't doing a great job either.

Woman Suspected of Being Bumbling Spy

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

:eng101: Fun fact: In Japan, the Huanggutun Incident goes by the incredibly metal moniker The Zhang Zuolin Explosion Death Incident .

I think this is gonna be the name of my new experimental post-metal band.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

quote:

Of all thing, it heavily reminds me of Django, the sub-boss of that classic PS1 fighter Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring. That's the first and hopefully last time I'll recall that title for the next decade.

:ducksiren: NEXT DARK ID LP CONFIRMED! :ducksiren:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm sure this Courier is totally above board... wait, she didn't happen to get shot in the head twice, did she?

For some reason what cracks me up about this game is the way it uses the standard Final Fantasy or Pokemon progression of towns with problems you have to solve, except they're (mostly) using the names of real places. I'm imagining an RPG where you have to clear out the ghosts in Canton, in order to reach Akron, and only then you may have a chance to deal with the evil sorcerer who dwells in... CLEVELAND.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

You can't fool me, game. Those are clearly just pistachios. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Well, Yuri may get seasick again, but I'm glad we're not doing this little excursion to Kowloon in Margarete's airplane.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

So wait, why does Dehuai need to torture Alice by electrocuting her again? Doesn't he need her in tip top condition for the Demon’s Gate Invocation, much less not accidentally kill her? Dehuai, why are you so bad at this villain gig? :psyduck:

Gotta reestablish your :moreevil: cred after impersonating an adorable puppy a few updates ago

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Apparently Kowloon Walled City was where you used to go for cheap unlicensed dental work. WUGUI IS NOT A GOOD DENTIST

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The cutscene director must have watched Akira like, ten times.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Alice and Zhuzhen are certainly an odd couple.

The Dark Id posted:

A gluttonous man's paunch is a problem I cannot help with and walking half a day to find out about it is not a good use of my sunset years.[/i]

Looks like you missed a tag here.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

THE VAMPIRE NAMED KEITH

Also I'm really enjoying your added dialog between Zhuzhen and Alice, Id.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

quote:

Bat Dance is some cheap at only 33 MP but Keith comes with significantly less MP than Zhuzhen or Alice, so we still need to keep an eye on that.

Doesn't quite parse right. Did you mean "somewhat cheap?"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

A sheep-person would be a nice change of pace for one of these games, I think.

Actually, let's just end that entire line of inquiry there...

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Req.Martyr posted:

Wugui kept his form for a while, but some of those fights were optional. He did eventually turn into a goop didn't he?

Yeah but then Bacon brought him back as a zombie because... wait why did he even do that anyway?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

quote:

It seems my kind has grown its only genre of monster genre fiction over the years.

This sentence parses a little strange. "grown its own genre.." maybe?

quote:

If you only count the children that were abducted today. That we know about... Then yes, that is current.

Correct?

quote:

[i]By the way... did you happen to like find that magic book?
Nah.
That's probably someone we should leave lying around...

Last sentence should be "not something we should leave lying around."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

quote:

But that's got to have been better than a face full of a mangy orphan rug.

Which is to say a mangy rug in a house full of orphans. Not a rug made from mangy orphans.

...probably.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The timing of the game does lend some weight to Albert Simons words even if they are just a generic villain monologue.

I don't know about that. "The power-mad elites of the world are about to kill millions! NOT IF I KILL MILLIONS FIRST!"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

BioMe posted:

A top hat is kind of a strange aesthetic for a man of his political beliefs. Although to be fair I don't think counterculture fashion was really a thing yet.

Smash the state and look dapper as hell while you do it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

There's a bunch of demons from the Ars Goetia in Persona 3 and 4 too, but not that owl with long legs. Which is too bad. I'd totally use an owl with long legs for a dungeon or two.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Seven days, huh? Sounds like it's SIDEQUEST TIME

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

The early Pokemon games. Team Rocket doesn't want to blow up the planet, they just want to make a shitload of money.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Shadow Hearts' version of the Imperial Japanese Army is somehow even more dysfunctional than its real-life counterpart. I'm impressed.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 11, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Huh, I thought the segment would be more involved, like finding them still alive somehow and you have to do a fetch quest, or Margarete getting into a fight with Kawashima. But nope! It's just watch a flashback and get an ultimate armor, so that's pretty nice.

Also RIP Kawashima. You clearly wanted to be a party member, but the party didn't have room for more. :smith:

Yeah this bit kind of feels like there's some cut content or rewrites going on and it was perhaps intended to be more substantial earlier in development.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Making fun of Yuri for what he did in an earlier sidequest and getting a lever-action shotgun as her ultimate weapon does improve my opinion of Margarete significantly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Heehee! Don't be so scared. You're my new friend, right? In place of Lillith?
Part-time exorcist, actually. Well, I was... It's a long story.
C'mon. Let's play!
Is Lillith the girl on the slide?
...So that means, you're Laura?!
Yes. Lillith died. Ewan only comes home once in a while.
He has been away for some time now.
He's in a bar in Prague.
...That would explain it.

Come on, play with me!

May be missing an Alice portrait or two here?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

So you've fought Ghoul and Ghouler, but no Ghoulest?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dunno but word of mouth from this thread has made me pretty curious about it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Oh boy. We saved the world just in time for the largest, most brutal war in history to start. Followed by an even bigger sequel in about twenty five years. Yay.

Yeah, knowing actual history does kind of make Simon seem like he had a bit of a point.

Sadly, Europe's totally hosed political situation was not a problem that punching real hard could solve. :smith: