Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Those little things, Rude Hero punching Bacon, clearly enjoying a good brawl (compare to a good chunk of JRPG protagonists angsting about not wanting to fight), and some of the things he does not long after the prologue ends had easily cemented him as one of my favorite video game protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

As Id said, aside from a couple moments in Covenant - Yuri really doesn't so much as act pervy as he did here, though he's still awkward in a far more understandable way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Everything gets a profile in the series - not only it's a nice way to kill time to calm down after doing with a more frustrating boss, but it really adds onto the world building.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I am inclined to believe that, though leaning more towards 'having not really deal with monsters until Bacon tried to kill her'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, despite the Goth-Punk trappings, it's really not a cynical game at all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nihilarian posted:

I appreciate the transformation mechanic is a buff to your stats instead of setting your stats to whatever the monsters stats are supposed to be. That always sucks

Yeah, SH is good about this, other games with similar mechanics end up with situations where the alt forms gets get benched due to falling behind the curve so the non-altered hero ends up being better.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and this is one of the reasons I like Yuri, he doesn't miss the extremely obvious cannibal cues and was 'Okay you know what, let's just beat them up and leave'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I had been hearing Citan was a popular character (among the Gears fans bashing Saga, but I'm not going to get into that mess), read the LP and was staggered by how unlikeable and condescending he is

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

could be metaphorical, like Buddha's Hand is a type of citrus, so a Monk's spine could be a type of stone. :shrug:

Of course if it's like the Western trade of Saint Relics, most of them are just some random joe's bones. And on that note when you think 90's kids are edgelords, they do not hold a candle to half the poo poo the Church in the medieval period had pulled.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seems likely, least it's not 100% made up from whole cloth like Mikaboshi's english wiki was for a really long time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, that guy took me off guard due to the faulty translation.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Dark Id posted:

Yuri is more genre savvy without being an insufferable four wall breaking rear end about it.

that's pretty much it, he's not 'we're in a video game', more 'Chances are if we see some demons, there'll be more, bigger demons to punch'

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, it's complicated, likely story was she was blackmailed into it, failed to get any useful information due to her targets not actually being involved with the military (German Propaganda made the Crown Prince to be far more useful than he actually was), then she was executed to basically quell the unrest in France.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeeep, Yuri seen it, heard it, punched it - and he's not impressed by your warlocky bullshit

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SMT2 makes Chaos the most reasonable ending, as you meet the most straight up nice demons in that game, or at least demons who just really want to be left alone - and their stated goal is just to be allowed to live without the Law faction murdering or forcing them into slavery.

But back onto Shadow Hearts:

It's really sad the dub quality has dipped greatly, but Koudelka was pretty drat unique in how they did everything.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

The voice-acting gets better in Covenant and FTNW, but still none of them are at Koudelka's level. Good voice direction and getting the VAs to record together goes a long way.

yeah, as well as not being lazy. SH1 - as Dark Id and others mentioned only partially dub the battle sounds, leading to wildly jarring differences. It always baffles me they just... quit half way? It doesn't take much to have a VA moan, grunt, or gasp for the battle sound bites.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

while Id mention it, it's a neat touch for this entire Segment, Yuri is in fact hunching over and his walking speed is much slower than it normally is, and you can't run - it hits in on he's as sick as a dog.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

Shadow Hearts is one of those settings where the supernatural is real but most regular people aren't going to encounter it on the regular.

Oh definitely, given even without Id's add on, it's clear this is Kato's realization this stuff exists, while Kawashima knows, she doesn't have much practical experience.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

fiction imitates reality yo

yeeah, if you take a look at half the hair-brained schemes the military of most countries had came up with, it would make your hair go white from the sheer lunacy (and bigotry as several of those plots revealed). There's a reason why Military Intelligence is considered an oxymoron by people who been around the brass.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ultrafilter posted:

Maybe, but Yuri's way cooler than Tidus.

I do feel like Tidus gets unfairly poo poo on as he does shape up once he knows what the hell is actually going on, but yeah, in terms of protagonists, Yuri beats out a lot of the more well-known characters.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Onmi posted:

Yuri has the benefit of having been doing this a while.

I'm more thinking of some things that go down that's in spoilers territory for the LP

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly it's kind of nice the game does acknowledge that you're pretty much going to be using the MC 90% of the time anyways and made Yuri flatout better instead of 'All rounder that can keep up',

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it wouldn't really matter because it's not like yuri has weak physical attacks. however, if for some insane reason you did it as not-yuri it would start to matter a whole lot.

yeah, since you can use anyone, though at this point Yuri's really the only viable option.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

McFarlane designed Necron, a new to SC2 character, so that's also probably why Spawn was used.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the empty chests are because opened chests demonstrate that you have been in the room before, but they didn't want to give you too much stuff.

which is silly, they can just stuff them with Thera leaves or at least do some flavor text, but open tests are a good marker in warp mazes

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah that's what I like, even with the bigger enemy - the party has every good reason to tell Kawashima to piss off - Yuri doesn't like getting yanked around, Zhuzhen is Chinese, and Marguerite is a hostile agent, and that's what they did. The only person that might be willing to hear her out isn't here.

And it's nice despite this, Kawashima does kick over the key because she does recognize they're the only people who can deal with Dehaui.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Makes me wonder if Kutsugi originally had a bigger role in the plot but it just got cut for one reason or another.

But boy this side quest will be new for me.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hearts is way more generous with portraits than most games but they usually have some storyline significance even briefly, this guy is just a one and done that could be replaced with any nameless soldier.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's a reason why Shadowrun still treats the Kowloon Walled City as still existing - because it so just so unique, and none of it in a good way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

DukeofCA posted:

Shadow Hearts is absolutely not afraid to have its' villains look like goofs from time to time.

yeah, it's honestly one of the things I like, it kind of humanizes the villains that stupid poo poo happens to them too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's one thing with a minor bad guy in the sequel where the party just flat out do not see him as a threat and it's easily one of the funniest scenes in the entire series.

yeah, Shadow Hearts really likes silly moments with their villains and making their heroes very sassy

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...Why are Alice's bangs like an inch in front of her forehead?

curling iron and a spritz of hair spray.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nohman posted:

Bacon taking a rock to the back of the head is amazing. Shame about Shanghai getting nuked and Yuri getting stuck in the butt of the final form of Parasite Eve.

could be worse, he could get stuck in The 3rd Birthday

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

probably lack of rendering hair ability, because I sure remember attempts at making realistic hair that moves in cutscenes was a major bragging point if you can nail it, but if you don't the results are dire

(Hell it's still someone that's difficult to do in modern engines, given Reboot Tomb Raider and Disney's Moana both bragged about hair tech)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And that's probably the fastest start to death in this game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kevin sure as hell wasn't subtle about trying to get his dick wet with a recent widow - and it was pretty obvious even without Dark Id's add on elaborating on the point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

recall that Trevor is 'Ralph Belmont' in Japan

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

'Vampires' are an amalgam of multiple legends and superstitions, since 'blood sucking undead' was a common enough belief.
Which is why you have the range and breadth of vampire facts.

Then you had writers who try to build a better vampire so to speak, Camilla basically turned into a cat-like thing when she drinks, Dracula can walk in the day time but he has no shadow and no powers, Lestat and Louis are whiny assholes like marble, then you got the weird Mormon sparklepires

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ratoslov posted:

Keith is the kinda guy who unironically says that whole 'Oh no, I do not drink... wine.' and then launches into his love of Belgian trappist ales.

Keith is just a really eccentric noble who just happens to be a Vampire on top of it and it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah the war was inevitable due to the tangled mess of alliances and increased tension, but the instigating event caught everyone off guard and was just a perfect storm