Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is going to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Our protagonist is dark elemental? My, how edgy.

It was still the 90s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Junpei posted:

Coulda sworn this games was early 00's...

It was released in late 2001. The 90s as a cultural period don't line up exactly with the decade.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't remember Malice being all that bad. It's something you have to manage, but it's not like you have to really be careful about how many battles you fight between save points or anything like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

They're just demons pretending to be children. It's fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Roger Bacon?

I don't think that's supposed to be a picture of Yuri's line.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Glazius posted:

"Looks like destiny was bringing us together... well, bye!"

I suppose that if you really believe you're destined for something, you run from it, and if it finds you again it really was destiny.

Zhuzhen's been at this long enough to know that destiny's a real motherfucker and it's best to run away if you think it's involved.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you go a little further down in the Wikipedia article on Kappas, it gets more specific:

quote:

As water monsters, kappa have been blamed for drownings, and are often said to try to lure people into water and pull them in with their great skill at wrestling. They are sometimes said to take their victims for the purpose of drinking their blood, eating their livers, or gaining power by taking their shirikodama (尻子玉), a mythical ball said to contain the soul, which is located inside the anus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Huh. I always thought that was a bucket on its head, but yeah, it's tied around the neck and looks like cloth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it would be super weird if kawashima, who knows that dehuai is a dangerous sorcerer who almost destroyed japan with magic, did not know that magic exists

I got the impression from that conversation that they're just discussing what they've heard, and they don't necessarily really believe that Dehuai can do magic. I think it's not particularly well translated, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:kato:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Dehuai is both terrifyingly powerful and bad at his job.

So far the only characters who seem to be good at what they do are Zhuzhen and Sea Mother. Everyone else is at least a little bit questionable.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

For all I know, eating pistachios actually would restore whatever magic points I've used.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe, but Yuri's way cooler than Tidus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's something that'll be made very clear later on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Probably 6000?

600 is probably right. The Shadow Hearts series has never had the sort of HP inflation that was plaguing Final Fantasy games at the time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kowloon is my favorite part of the early game, and I really don't understand why they made it so obscure and easily missable.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Speedball posted:

Man, if you just turned off encounters entirely this place would still be pretty creepy.

Definitely, but the encounters really drive up the tension. That's why this is probably my second favorite area in the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's historically accurate in a broader sense.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

It wears bondage clothes.

Eh. Shadow Hearts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

That day, the flames were almost beautiful... as they turned Shanghai to ash. In the blink of an eye, they took away so much... Thoughts... Hopes... Dreams...
And as they watched their world burn, the people cried out in grief. It was like a scene from hell. One of our own making...
And that night was the last time I ever saw him...

I'm pretty sure these lines are spoken by Lt. Kawashima rather than Alice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

Just so we're clear, we do "exorcism" -- as in getting rid of malcontent spirits and apparitions. It is NOT "exercise" – we cannot help your town if they've gotten out of shape.
You're still upset about those guys in Olomouc wanting us to help them work out?
A gluttonous man's paunch is a problem I cannot help with and walking half a day to find out about it is not a good use of my sunset years.[/i]

Missing [i] at the beginning of this section.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Kevin fight sucks because there's nothing interesting about it, but he has so many HP that you're just going to be at it for a while.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

grandalt posted:

Quite fitting that our wayward hero is one of the most dangerous bosses in the game. The fight sounds like it could very easily go wrong, but possible to recover from, which makes for a tense fight.

That's something that Shadow Hearts is very good at. It's not difficult like an SMT game, but in most boss fights you don't have a lot of room to screw around.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arcane Olga is basically a level check. If you like to rush from event to event like I did back when I played the game, you're gonna suffer a little bit her. Otherwise she's fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This guy must go as Frankenstein every Halloween.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That was offscreen. Doesn't count.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shitenshi posted:

I don't think I ever once got into a back attack in this game, or a pincer attack. The more you know. It's also been so long that I remember bringing Keith in Margarete's place, but not his reactions. I can only imagine what dialogue he has in place for the whole "ma'am" thing.

I never even knew that Shadow Hearts had rows, let alone back attacks.

I'm pretty sure the scene plays out with Margarete regardless of whether she's in your active party.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That sort of inversion is a standard if maybe unusual way of emphasising whatever word you put first.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Have we seen any human enemies since the Japanese soldiers way back when?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can't do whatever it is Cardinal Simon is planning on doing without breaking a few eggs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What exactly did Albert Simon get out of pretending to be Roger Bacon besides confusing people who played Koudelka? I don't remember that being resolved at any point coming up, and I don't have a good answer myself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Dark Id posted:

No, I just put a giant brass hatch over this hole to keep myself busy.
Weird.[/i]

Minor formatting issue here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

From Wikipedia on Sandalphon:

quote:

Sandalphon (Hebrew: סָנְדַלְפוֹן; Greek: Σανδαλφών) is an archangel in Jewish and Christian writings. Sandalphon figures prominently in the mystical literary traditions of Rabbinic Judaism and early Christianity, notably in the Midrash, Talmud, and Kabbalah.

Physical descriptions of Sandalphon vary depending on the source. He is uniformly depicted as extremely tall—he exceeds Hadraniel (another angel) in height by a 500-year foot journey.[5][6] During Moses' visit to the Third Heaven, he is said to have glimpsed Sandalphon and called him the "tall angel" (though this legend dates to much later than the time of the Torah). The Babylonian Talmud Hagigah 13b says Sandalphon's head reaches Heaven, which is also said of Israfil and of the Greek monster Typhon, with whom Sandalphon seems to have similar mythological roots. He is also described as being a member of the Sarim (angelic princes), and a Hazzan (master of heavenly song).

I think someone a while back was wondering what angels would look like in the Shadow Hearts universe, and now we have an answer. Yay?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

The Shadow Hearts games broke the JRPG mold in a bunch of ways, but the main villains just being ominicidal nihilists was unfortunately not one of them.

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Just JRPGs or games in general? I'm general I can name a bunch but JRPGs are definitely harder. Nier is a big one because the antagonists are actually trying to achieve the exact opposite.

Just JRPGs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

All of the current residents of the orphanage moved in after Jack left. I guess there's just no shortage of orphans in early 20th century London.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The European party members are in fact present, but there wouldn't be much more to say about them if Halley weren't connected to Koudelka.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Req.Martyr posted:

You can think I'm joking, but DarkId's LP is what motivated my dumb rear end to finally 100% Drakengard 1. Drove me nuts but I did it.

That's an interesting takeaway from that LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I remembered the doll house being a lot creepier than it seems now. Oh well.