Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Oh man I am so glad youre doing this.

While there's gameplay aspects of this series I didn't care for the stories and setting are so solid they carried me through the entire series.

It also helps that Yuri is a fantastic protagonist and most other party members are wonderful in their own ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He really isn't; it almost never comes up again, other than one or two spots where it's much less awkward. I agree with other posters, I think this section of the game was made a lot earlier to pitch it/as part of a demo, and then they just didn't bother/forgot to go back and change it once they'd figured out what they wanted to do with his character.

Yeah. Yuri is much more of an awkward dork around people (especially Alice,) not a creep like this scene suggests.

If anyone's really turned off by this scene believe me you won't feel that way by the end. Yuri is a really likable protagonist overall and the reasons should be apparent in an update or two.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

It's all about tone and context though, and neither is really angsty or edgy in this particular case.

It's actually really impressive how this series covers a lot of dark material while not turning into a pile of angst.

A lot of it is due to the party though. Yuri and his gangs of oddballs liven things up a lot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One thing I love especially about 2 is that it has a bit of the spirit of Koudelka in regards to party makeup (though it does only last until the 3rd or 4th party member joins) in that the initial group really don't get along well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gharbad the Weak posted:

So if you take half an hour and jump in place when the lights are on?

That won't do anything but let them jump.

The enemies always pursue you. They just learn different ways to do so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Whew. Just finished catching up with this LP after reading the Koudelka one. I remember watching one of my friends play a bit of one of the Shadow Hearts games, but I can only say it's not this one, due to one of the party members wielding a locker as a weapon. That's all I remember, though; I didn't even know it was a sequel to Koudelka until I started reading that LP.

I wanna put it out there that Yuri's mother is a Russian woman named Anne that we know very little about, and the timeframe is the early 20th century. I'm going to be surprised if she doesn't turn out to be an exiled Anastasia Romanov or something. The exact timing is a bit off; the Bolshevik Revolution that deposes the Tsar is a few years in the future, IIRC, but we're already partying with Mata Hari using anachronistic guns, so anything's fair game.

That was Covenant.

And Anastasia does have a role to play in Covenant. The Revolution is a plot arc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kemix posted:

I think he might do the second game sometime after this. But...not sure if he'd pick up covenant. There's always a chance but...I'd say SH2 has a bigger chance since it continues Yuri's story after this

Covenant is the second game. From the New World is the third.

I purposely avoided saying any more than I did in regards to spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I believe Nintendo is the only exclusively games focused dev of the big ones and even then they have the entire Pokemon franchise as a parachute.