Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Onmi posted:

I forgot Yuri could just... reattach limbs

Yeah, maybe he just popped a healing potion or something, he certainly doesn't regenerate like that in the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I have my suspicion that Shadow Hearts was originally going to be developed for the PS1 and got shifted mid-development during the generation change, it has a lot of trappings of PS1 RPGs like pre-rendered backgrounds and stuff. But it really makes the most of what it's got.

Love that Roger Bacon does a little bow before the fight.

Consider that Rude Hero destroys those sickle-demons so easily, and consider that just one of those sickle-demons was enough to kill a squad of armed soldiers... this is a hero who is not loving around. You know how in most JRPGs, enemies with guns do like 2 damage because they're armed with nerf bullets? Here I think the bullets work just fine, you just are literally superman.

I appreciate that the villain was not loving around either. He sees a supernatural hero type dude and just blasts him with the most powerful spell in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mazed posted:

I know this is a JRPG, so local bias and all, but are we really supposed to think of a dude who offs a bunch of Imperial Japan soldiers as a baddie? :v:

Think of it as Sephiroth offing a bunch of Shinra. Bigger-picture antagonist steamrolling through larger establishment antagonists. Imperial Japan is very much not the good guys in this game.

Which may sound weird considering this was made by Japanese developers, but modern Japanese do not look too fondly on their imperial past. Which is good. More developers should do that.

American developers should make a game where you can kick Andrew Jackson in the balls.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 22, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

It wouod have been funny as hell if Yuri's shirt and coat didn't heal and he just spends the rest of the game minus a sleeve, and his stupid coat just gets progressively dirtier and more shredded.

That's how the Wolverine game worked. Good thing for him his pants were indestructible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

On another note, you gotta wonder how those demons managed to maintain that illusion so effectively. As soon as the village reveals it's true self, every step Yuri makes is accompanied by the squelching of the corpses under his feet. So did all the bloody residue on his shoes immediately turn back into dirt after killing Yamaraja?

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I think we weren't necessarily in the real world when everything turned to Hellsville, China. The cat lady said morning would never come.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty sure wolves are the only palette swap enemy we'll see for the most part because I remember most enemy designs being screwed up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Weirds me out a bit that Kawashima is always wearing plainclothes, but maybe they only had one model for her and didn't feel like making two.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Heaven's Fiend is based on a clione, a kind of sea slug also known as a 'sea angel'. Japan loves them some cliones.

I mean, like...it's not explicitly stated anywhere? But c'mon, look at that thing.

Ahhh, so that's why there was a Disgaea unit called a "Sea Angel."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Bayonetta sort of has the right idea going with a lot its angelic enemies. Just monstrous things that wear lots of marble-esque stuff to cover up their even worse features.

Yeah, that's perfect. Under their marble masks they are completely alien monstrosities.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This, at least, is where Kawashima having plainclothes makes sense. Gotta say, she's pretty slick. "Oh, I could help you...if you're willing to pay." Heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

The worst translation in the series are probably the enemies in the last game, From the New World, where the translator clearly didn't know they were based on Lovecraft monsters - so you end up with stuff like "Shub-Niggurath", as "Jeb Niglas".

Yeah, thankfully the actual design for Jeb Niglas is freaking hideous and terrifying.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, despite that magic is very real in this setting, some people like Kawashima are behind the curve. Which is funny.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So you think they gave Sea Mother a proper burial or do you think they just tossed her over the side?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Farewell, cat-kid. You were only slightly less annoying than the cat kids that were actively trying to kill us.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nohman posted:

I hope Roger Bacon keeps just appearing randomly to own Yuri out of nowhere and leaves without saying anything.

Hadokening him without a word is almost as great as him using Special Eyes in the beginning.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, if you just turned off encounters entirely this place would still be pretty creepy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

[i]Grr... Now, this pisses me off to no end! Why do I even bother with a gate and summoning a guardian if they walk right past them?! How do those dicks even see up here from that perspective?! Bah!

Hahaha. Yesss. Good. This is good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Terry and Kevin, the most genuine "East European" names ever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I dont know posted:

Were there any benefits to letting malice build up to fight fox face when the party is strong enough to kill him? Special story bits, unique drops, or the like?

Don't think so. There is something for beating the masks but that's like end-game content, they're still too strong for us.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We've seen three cat-kids die. Not sure about any other kids.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not apparent from the English localisation of Koudelka, but Halley's ESP powers are the same name as the magic ones in Koudelka;

ヒーリング = "Healing" = Heal = Healing
ストロングアート Strong Earth = Megalith
リミットショック = Limit Shock = Geyser = Shock Max
ブラックホール Black Hole = Tornado = Black Hole
リヴァイヴァ = Reviver = Revive

The only one he doesn't get (probably because they've already got Zhuzhen) is;
フレイムマイン = Flame Mine" = Flare

And they gave him Aqua Blade and Air Shot to fill out the rest of the elements, and Air Edge to fit with the rest of the characters.

For anyone who's played the sequels, if those moves sound familiar, that's because they're also the finisher spells used when doing combo magic.

Huh, that's a neat touch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

The thing I'm getting from these games is that the powers of darkness cause really bad posture.

On the other hand, the Doom has really great flexibility. I sure can't do a handstand let alone stab someone with something held in my feet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Geostomp posted:

I’m starting to think that the orphans of London would probably have ended up as an unholy abomination even without the help of a wizard with mommy issues.

Maybe that's why he was targeting these kids, they were already juiced up on dark energy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Can't have evil in the world, if there's no-one left alive to commit evil. *doffs top hat*

Honestly he may in fact be going for that.

Albert Simon must have magic that cleans up his clothes too because he can messily explode people with his mind or his summoned demons, but there's never a spot on him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe the air stone was what was giving him trouble. It was making him gassy and irritable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TalkLittle posted:

Albert Simon is younger, better looking and better dressed which makes him more trustworthy in my book.

How is Albert Simon not a wiezened troll like Bacon if he's like 300 years old?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kw0134 posted:

I feel like slamming Shadow Hearts for its cliched plot doesn't work as well when the game was released in 2001 and was part of the trend that created the cliche in the first place. The game is nearly old enough to vote. It's probably got at least its drivers license!

also we're technically going to kill a SPACE-god. Totally different when it's going all Lovecraft.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The later games have some stupidly broken poo poo but this one is pretty decent on not handing out megalixers-I'll-never-use type stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DeafNote posted:

This reminds me that I still do not have the complete monster list in Nier Automata
:suicide:

Or the complete fish list!!!

I wonder if machine life tried copying fish because they were trying to get the power of the android-destroying mackerel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

and given the Judgment ring is your main form of dealing damage, it's less interesting and more frustrating.

The sequel vastly improves on the battle system so the fights don't feel like massive drags.

Yeah, not only do you have more options, if you feel like it you can just turn off the Judgement Ring entirely (at the cost of not being able to do those criticals for hitting the sweet spots anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is basic Gnosticism.