Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Just caught up with this crazy train. It's gonna be fun seeing a decent game in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Wugui's acting like Dhalsim with rickets is one of the best things.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

Considering his track record, I'm not sure he would have thought that far ahead if the team hadn't shown up

Since when has anyone deliberately invoking ancient evils bothered to have a plan more substantial than "point it at things I don't like"?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Dark Id posted:

Oi. I've been busy doing hurricane relief work junk back in North Carolina and will probably continue to be doing so at least through the weekend. LP updates should resume after that.

Even the gooniest recognize that natural disasters override our giggling at a video game. Take as long as you need.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Omobono posted:

I had honestly forgotten that Yuri was squatting at the Valentines'. A friendly vampire hiring some exorcists to evict a monster from his castle is 100% Shadow Hearts.

I dunno. This particular friendly vampire is way too normal for that. We won't get to the weirdness that best defines the series until the next game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

I wasn't really expecting Alice to get punched.

Well, she did just sell her soul to four mask demons just to get there. I’m betting that a punch from the incarnation of her semi-boyfriend’s father issues/self-loathing is the least of her worries.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Yuri starts getting snapped out of Fox Face's delusional broken-soul hour because he thinks his mom's in trouble :3:

Yuri is a classic "Bad Boy who's really a Softie inside" anime character, so this only make sense.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I love the change in Yuri's animations after this. Before, we thought he was in pain because having your body warp into a demon probably hurts, but nope. It was just because he was subconsciously sabotaging himself out of pure fear.

On an unrelated note, does Alice keep the she had to sell her soul to snap Yuri out of his dark god-induced funk a secret from this point on? Because I'm pretty sure that Yuri would be happy to punch out whatever amalgamation of demonic energy he absorbs occasionally to keep her safe.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eruza posted:

So is Yuri still fused with the Seraphic Radiance or this not an issue anymore? But yes, echoing the same about Yuri's change in animation- I like it when games make changes like that to show character growth.

It’s still there, but not usable. If those mask jerks are any indication, the demons he absorbed have enough influence on his mind. Enough to ensure that he can’t use a power until he’s strong enough to dominate it. Doing so to a demonic god is probably easier said than done. Especially for a guy who just managed to regain his sanity.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised they actually made a battle background for the women's bathroom. It's also my headcanon that Olga really is just some crazy cannibal witch who filed her teeth into points for maximum effect rather than being an actual vampire. It adds her to the level of weird horror this game has like Li Li and all the weird monsters out there.

I like to think she just has some red Halloween vampire dentures painted red. If she is a a vampire, it’d be kind of disappointing since vampires are pretty low on the supernatural weirdness totem pole in this game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Move over angry eyebrows.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Should be 'like'.

:toot: new fusions! I do like that they gave him new models for them, this was the era where they could've easily just cranked up the stats and gone "good enough"

They seem to just be new skins on the same basic models to me, but that’s still impressive for the time.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Arcane Olga is no Dehuai, that's for sure.

She’s about as incompetent, but nowhere near as funny about it. “Attacking in a random bathroom” just is as good of an introduction as “posing as evil puppy”.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I’ve always kind of wondered: are the Four Masks a quartet of four specific demons Yuri absorbed early on or are they some kind of collective manifestation of lesser demons that Yuri absorbs who somehow gained sentience over time? If they’re the latter, why don’t we have two more for light and dark when the four we know seem to be pretty clearly of the four basic elements? I guess Fox Face could count as dark, but he’s more like a manifestation of Yuri’s issues than an independent entity.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 13, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Vauron posted:

The Masks are based on the minor tarot. Sure, the french combination of 'heart, spade, diamond, and club' is much better known, but the 'wand, cup, sword, and coin' version does get referenced now and then. It might be enough for you to find out the elements of the Masks before you fight them, but after all the lies concerning the Yamaraja elements, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Given their designes (Lion, Tiki, Fish, Bird) and the fact that they glow the respective colors the game uses for the basic four elements, I think it’s pretty obvious which is which already.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

XainZero posted:

Keith isn't Dark element. He's Earth. Yuri's the Dark element character.

Yeah, but Keith has some Dark moves and Yuri might as well not have an element given how often we swap him around into demons.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 16, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Oh boy, here we go. So, we placing bets on just how many orphans turned into supernatural horrors we'll be facing this time?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

One day I hope a game will have something like this, except it turns out the sketchy dude really is running a legit orphanage.

I guess Drakengard 3 of all games kinda had this with Two where it was pretty easy to assume that her running an orphanage and also being really good at cooking weren't entirely unrelated. But that was just too pedestrian for Yoko Taro.

To be fair, Two seemed to be an excellent guardian for her orphans despite having a very busy career and being a ticking time bomb for otherworldly horrors. It was just too bad that her boyfriend had very poor choices in music appropriate for the children.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 21, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Why is it that everyone who gets that Manuscript goes straight to the “reviving the dead through slaughter of innocents” sections? Aren’t there some other bits of forbidden magic in that book that’d require fewer atrocities be less likely to result in an unholy abomination attacking?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Verant posted:

Cripes, what's with Émigré resurrections creating weird bug-people?

The Formor were almost as big into etomology as they were tampering with the forces of creation. It’s unfortunate that the two were accidentally mixed in the Manuscript.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I would respect evil scientists and wizards more if they admitted combat data is total bullshit and they got into the job just to watch abominations against God fight because it's rad.

Just once I want to see someone respond to one of these guys spewing the “They never appreciated my genius!!!” rants by outlining exactly why they were terrible researchers even aside from the crazy/horrific choice of research subject matter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sterski posted:

I love it when players get mad at bosses for using the same tactics they've been using the entire game.
"What? He healed himself? That's not fair!"

It is when even chump bosses have ten times the hit points of the entire party.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

“Drop this act now, you who claim to be bacon!” Is the best line in this game so far out of context.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I don't know much about the exact policies of the Inquisition, but "turning into tilted/heavily pregnant ghost women" has got to be a hard sell for recruits.

Oh well, at least we got to see Yuri's skill with children.

Also, Olga's dead. I'm gonna miss her for the ten minutes I'll remember her existence.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I’m starting to think that the orphans of London would probably have ended up as an unholy abomination even without the help of a wizard with mommy issues.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Poor son of a bitch has two first names, no wonder he turned evil and stole someone else's name.

If that were the cause, you’d think that that he’d avoid picking the name of a guy that sounds and looks like cures meat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

DeafNote posted:

Simon, dont suddenly start being a nuanced villain when you've been nothing but a gloating goon for most of the game.
How dare you.

To be fair, most of the puppy kicking came from his zealots and maniacs that he tricked into acting as his lackeys or maniacs that actively hated his guts. That's not to say that he's not a bastard, just not quite so far gone down the MWAHAHA as to completely preclude complications. Beyond the point of being sympathetic, yes, but not beyond the realm of having any point whatsoever given that we're on the cusp of WWI breaking out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't know about that. "The power-mad elites of the world are about to kill millions! NOT IF I KILL MILLIONS FIRST!"

It’s would probably work more if he had started as WWI had been ongoing or right after it ended. Seeing that level of savegry and knowing it’s just prelude for an even worse war would make nihilism seem a lot more reasonable.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I'm still not clear how the mystical graveyard that represents Yuri's possessed soul somehow requires these random magical rocks that have either existed for centuries or somehow sprouted from a bag a wheat seeds in the real world, but anything that gives us more demonic power is fine by me.

Also, who passes up a magical water rock for a plain old diamond?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yuri’s going through all the emotional phases of viewing expired coupons. It’s perfectly healthy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Well, you know, some of the best villains are the ones where the premise sounds reasonable and then their solution just goes right off the loving rails, eight o' clock, day one.

"The authorities don't deserve absolute power and the world would be better if it were more egalitarian and less violent." Good, good-

"Time to do a shitload of evil wizard stuff, then!" No, Simon, no!

Maybe, but he dove into full on “genocidal dark wizard” really quickly. Willing to wait centuries to murder humanity, but not to enact positive social change the moment he got burned for his beliefs.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

The Shadow Hearts Trilogy has Roger be a crazy skilled inventor that makes stuff centuries ahead of their time like we've already seen with his house, breaking somebody out of a medieval prison would be child's play for the dude.

Also what Cardiovorax said.

He also screwed over the Vatican by stealing the Emigre Manuscript after he transcribed it, so he obviously didn’t stay on good terms with the church.

That said, he really doesn’t seem like a fighter to me, and not just because he looks like a pile of sticks in the shape of a man wrapped in leather.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a bunch of demons from the Ars Goetia in Persona 3 and 4 too, but not that owl with long legs. Which is too bad. I'd totally use an owl with long legs for a dungeon or two.

You get to do so in, of all things, Pokemon.

]

At least now we know one explanation for why it’s part-Ghost.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Ya know, if the people sealing up these ancient powers of destruction didn't want adventurers coming along and breaking the seals, maybe don't bind the seals to treasure chests full of goodies? Maybe bind the seals to piles of dog poo instead.

They could at least avoid putting convenient buttons that deactivate the seals in the same dungeons.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

If you can kill whatever boss is before you in 11 hits, I don't see any reason to bother going out to do something mindnumbingly tedious for a weapon that will kill it in 10 hits. Much like all-powerful weapons that appear when you kill the strongest boss in the game, all you've done when you acquire them is prove that you didn't need them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Gonna be honest here. Pretty much as soon as the game revealed that Faux Bacon was Albert Simon it felt to me that he started acting like Generic jRPG Arch-villain instead of the Dapper Trollmancer he was up to that point. At least he's still holding onto that hat.

I mean, he did reduce Shanghai to a smoldering crater just to be a dick, so it's not like he wasn't that far off before. He's just getting more animated about his nihilism because he's right on the cusp of victory.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Kefka is a literal Evil Nihilistic Clown and he wants to destroy the world, but after he does so, there's still a lot of people left, so there's also that, I guess?

That's mostly because he knows that it'd be unbearably boring to be the only being left. So he decided to only mostly destroy the world. That way he'd have a set of victims to torment. It wasn't until the protagonists showed up again that he got bored enough to change his plan to "just nuke the world and move on after crushing these annoying hopeful types".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ghosts, wizards, demons, ancient aliens, and not Lovecraftian abominations from beyond the stars. We're hitting all the horror highlights here.

I have to admit that having his entire plan spelled out really makes Albert's villain cred take a hit. Sure, it's impressively scaled and all, but does come off as more like a cosmic temper tantrum than anything.

Also, Koudela really seems to have hyped Edward up to Halley. I guess "your father is ghost punching dumbass that I had a one night stand with after some very traumatic events" isn't that appropriate for a child, but it is a lot for a man she didn't even know for a full day.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 3, 2018

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

Koudelka exposed Simon for who he was and in their last scene together, completely wiped the smirk off his face and would have flattened him if he didn't have his Amon cheat code. It wasn't some thing like with Yuri at the beginning where he managed to heal a flesh wound that would be a big deal for most people like it was no problem, there was definitely a clear difference in their power. As off the cuff and cool as our new protag is, I think that's enough to redeem her getting kidnapped and being a minor character for most of the game.

Did they ever explain why she got so much more powerful over the years when she wasn’t exactly in action for the period? Or why she won’t help finish the job now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, we all know how that always turns out.

Well, the crew did stop Dehaui from summoning Seraphic Radiance and prevented Kouldelka from being sacrificed. It's just that in both cases, Albert finished the job in a different way, making their efforts meaningless.