Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

I have my suspicion that Shadow Hearts was originally going to be developed for the PS1 and got shifted mid-development during the generation change, it has a lot of trappings of PS1 RPGs like pre-rendered backgrounds and stuff. But it really makes the most of what it's got.

You're right to have that suspicion, that's well-known and is in fact explained by TDI in the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FeyerbrandX posted:

Acupuncture... to improve weaponry. Right. At least it makes a little more sense than Suikoden's method of sharpening a little pebble until it becomes a big rock for millions.

The idea is that the acupuncture session unlocks the hidden potential in your body which let's you use the weapon as if you've had years of practice with it. Makes as much sense as anything considering magic and demons and all.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope not, that'd be quite the fall from grace (Neptunia especially).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Supersonic Shine posted:

The key to getting the bad ending in this game is letting John Constantine join your party.

Nah, that gets you the secret joke ending where a bunch of devils show up and fight off the final boss for you because otherwise John'll die and they'll have to fight over his soul since he owes it to all of them and they certainly aren't the sharing type.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Making Margarete water-element kinda fits considering if she likes explosives so much she's bound to have participated in some wetwork.

Anyway, here's waiting for Id to unlock Margerete's ultimate move where she calls down an orbital waterjet strike.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

How do you join this lottery society in the first place? Wander into the wrong bar in college?

You gotta luck into it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kinda hard to do either since her body faded away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nohman posted:

"I murdered like 30 soldiers in cold blood, meow."
"Haha, you rascal."

I mean that's just something any cat would do.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With a name like Bacon it's not surprising he's into meat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair gotcha sounds about right.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sgt Thud posted:

I love Lost Odyssey. Still kinda upset I never finished my LP of it after everything on my end blew up, and then one of my co-commentators basically vanished for 3 months. Maybe one day.

Yeah, it's unfortunate the LP wasn't finished, but still thank you for showing me the game had so much more to offer than the first bit would suggest.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bacon's worked too hard to find all the elements of the Dapper Regalia, he ain't letting some gust of wind carry that hat away.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A Reverse Demon's Gate Invocation has more words than a mere Demon's Gate Invocation, so it's better.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The description of the gremlins kind of makes me think of... cats. The spikey back could just be them poofing their hair.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know it's character growth because he kicks him instead of punching him.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she actually is related to the cat grandma from Zhaoyang.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah but then Bacon brought him back as a zombie because... wait why did he even do that anyway?

You think he'd miss an opportunity to ham it up?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's no way that dungeon key isn't a LoZ reference, right?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna say I'm glad I didn't like Genis enough to force myself to ace that drat Red/Green Light minigame for his ultimate kid's toy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It must be a reference to Amon, Sinistral of Chaos, from the highly-influential RPG series Lufia. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be honest here. Pretty much as soon as the game revealed that Faux Bacon was Albert Simon it felt to me that he started acting like Generic jRPG Arch-villain instead of the Dapper Trollmancer he was up to that point. At least he's still holding onto that hat.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I mean, he did reduce Shanghai to a smoldering crater just to be a dick, so it's not like he wasn't that far off before. He's just getting more animated about his nihilism because he's right on the cusp of victory.

I meant in his dialogue and mannerisms, not his actions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think he was hoping Yuri wouldn't be able to contain it at all and that it'd still be out there killing everything.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this Ewan fellow figured out Albert's teleportation technique, and also he likes to write on the floor in blood, but is otherwise a normal human being.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me how I dislike when a jRPG does give bosses weaknesses to some status effects, but gives you no way to know what they are without trial-and-error/reading a FAQ. Even worse if status effects can miss anyway, and you don't know if it just missed 3 times in a row or the boss is actually immune.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

That is kind of an oversight, yeah. I mean, Alice’s gear has been tomes of increasingly edritch lore, so you’d think that having one be from this place. Possibly with mentions of “alien whispers” in the description.

'To Serve Man'? I like helping people, this is the book for me!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GimmickMan posted:

I did not know that was the origin of the term scapegoat. That's darkly humorous. The more I learn about ancient religion the more I realize that people used to be big into sacrificing animals for whatever reason they could find.

Typo.

The bigger/more valuable the animal, the "better". That's why the "best" sacrifice was God's own son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's been alive for hundreds of years, if he wasn't an rear end in a top hat maybe he could have spent some of those helping people avoid the Great War instead of throwing Joe Serf under the bus because surprise the ruling authorities punished him for questioning them.