Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like how you don't get any EXP (an abstract concept of learning from struggles) from fights in the mental realm of the graveyard, but actual physical items you can touch? Sure, you can pull Thera Leafs out of your mind; why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So Margarete uses a gun but has to stay in the front row for full damage? :raise:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So it wasn't a video error or something, right? Sea Mother's creepy ghost story did get interrupted in the middle of a cliffhanger and nobody bothered to ask what happened at the end?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Man Dragon just looks like a budget Xenomorph to me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Zhuzhen!!
What did you say?! Those could be your last words!

We spent much time tracking Dehuai. Finally, we learned what the Demon’s Gate Invocation was. We hit Dehuai’s stronghold, the Kuihai Tower, and finally defeated him. It was a fierce battle.
So then, the man you told me about in Dalian was…
<turns to Yuri and nods> That’s right. I was talking about your father. Hyuga put his life on the line and stopped the cursed Valorization.
Then… my father died, eh…

No, Yuri! Bad Genre-Savvy Protagonist! You do NOT interrupt the story with an "oh and then he died I guess" line! Zhuzen JUST finished telling you that HE killed your dad and he never said why. Let him finish the drat story.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So the old master literally made you put up with tedious bullshit for no reason that ALSO just happened to weaken the defenses of the last thing keeping the big bad from loving the earth. What a dick.

That's like using up power from a generator protecting the last human stronghold to watch reruns of Desperate Housewives.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 22, 2018

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

For instance, Wugui still possesses the Game of Death attack. Yuri still has immunity, despite every guide for this game telling you to have three Leonardo's Bears.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So I replayed this recently and I instantly died to this Boss,Yuri not having poo poo for instant death immunity at all

:raise: So who's right?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Shadow Hearts is way more generous with portraits than most games but they usually have some storyline significance even briefly, this guy is just a one and done that could be replaced with any nameless soldier.

Nah, he needed a portrait because he killed Suketani. A character with a portrait can only be killed by another character with a portrait. That's just elementary game design.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

A new variation of the snake demons is hanging out in Kuihai Tower. These are the Earth elemental versions and they can potentially cast Flying Stones like every other trash mob Earth bender.

These dorks at least have a good dumb original title. Their Japanese names are Zhu Tun She/Chotonda which is literally Pig-Boar-Snake.

Are they just called Pig-Boar-Snake in the English version? You never mentioned their localized name.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Dehuai even keeps up the improper naming with himself. "Now you face Dehuai, the great Earth sage!" <- Is Fire Elemental

And I find it even more hilarious that you can go back to Shanghai (and presumably leave for Kowloon Fortress) after getting far enough in the tower to have a shouting match with Dehuai and being all "Alice, we'll be right up to save you!" Party leaves for 4 days

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

I just don't see what the difference is between it and the non-Reverse one.

Sounds like one is a "bigger deal". Maybe summoning a much more powerful entity. The difference between dropping an atomic bomb and a hydrogen bomb?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Having Dark attacks when he's Earth-aligned seems like a very nice advantage against dark-weak foes (who would likely use light-element attacks), since he can take advantage of a weakness without also being extra weak to the enemy's attacks. Seems like everyone has to do the whole "deal more damage/take more damage" tradeoff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also you get to ruin Bacon's rep after he screwed you over back in the day.

I don't understand this statement and Yuri's "you kinda threw him under the bus" comment from the update. What did Roger Bacon do to Albert Simon besides teach him everything he knows and then try to convince him not to throw his life away by trying to change a social structure that wasn't ready for it? It was SIMON who betrayed Bacon by trying to get him condemned by the Church.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I mean it is actually pretty lovely of Roger not to try and bust Albert out of Pope Jail, because he was very capable of doing so.

Did you forget that Albert just tried to have Bacon convicted by the church? THAT is what got the Vatican's eye on Albert in the first place and had him thrown in pope jail. Why should Bacon then go on some Rambo rescue mission for the guy that just betrayed him? gently caress that guy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ya know, if the people sealing up these ancient powers of destruction didn't want adventurers coming along and breaking the seals, maybe don't bind the seals to treasure chests full of goodies? Maybe bind the seals to piles of dog poo instead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's the one and only real translation gently caress-up of that type in this game, I think, the localization has otherwise been really good.

Uh, there have been multiple points in the story, pointed out in the LP, where everyone appears to just start spouting nonsense. Plus all the poorly translated Yamaraja bosses near the beginning, and other assorted blunders. There appear to have been more than a few translation or localization fumbles in this game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

How many games don't have that? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

Lavos from the CT series isn't really an "omnicidal nihilist." The villains of FFXII just wanted to create a unifying empire, and not to destroy the world. As far as I know the Suikoden games were about wars rather than any global annihilation. Same with the Front Mission games, I think?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

while it will obviously end in fighting god, the current plan is to do everything they can to keep god from showing up at all.

Yeah, we all know how that always turns out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

A fair number of the items may be worth using if you could, I dunno, buy them. But when it seems like there are a million unique or nearly-unique items, that require a successful judgement ring to work, you run into the double whammy of:
1) RPG hoarders syndrome, so nobody wants to use up their only copy of this item!
2) the fear you'll just gently caress up the judgement ring you've never used before and waste your turn.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Good to see the Bird Lady with Prominent Pubes niche is still getting filled.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

How do you get over 100% ring success/ring perfect?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The sword "Blodauth" seems like it should be "Blood Oath", but maybe not.

Edit: or maybe what he said ^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yep, segue from Shadow Hearts to Kingdom Hearts. Nice.