Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That chorus was positively Xenogears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

We’ll get a name for this dingus by the end of this update, I promise.

There goes my chance to suggest calling him Real Rude Boy.

Accordion Man posted:

Yup...

Also this part also feels like something they did early on and didn't go back and fix up to fit with the rest of the game because this is is the only time Yuri is an uncomfortably creepy pervert.

Maybe it was made alongside the opening cutscene as a demo?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:eng101: Fun fact: In Japan, the Huanggutun Incident goes by the incredibly metal moniker The Zhang Zuolin Explosion Death Incident .

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

The most perplexing thing about that design has always been...the little Puritan bonnet. Like after this weird demon tongue-goose is done cursing people to death with rocks it's just going to drop by Goody Proctor's for a cup of flour and some slut-shaming.

I think's a ritual face mask. It does look very bonnet-like.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

The worst translation in the series are probably the enemies in the last game, From the New World, where the translator clearly didn't know they were based on Lovecraft monsters - so you end up with stuff like "Shub-Niggurath", as "Jeb Niglas".

Shub-Niggurath's cousin from Alabama.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is just weird. You'd think they'd put this sidequest after rescuing Alice or whatever so there's a plausible excuse for it. And it's even money whether 90's bowl cut was meant for more or if we're just conditioned for portrait'd NPCs to be important and not just disappear from the story like their faceless counterparts.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Like Samurai Champloo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Hey, guys... I'm not feeling... so great...

Should probably be Mr. Zhuzhen? I don't feel so good. :v:

The story definitely got chopped up around here- Kowloon was clearly meant to not be a sidequest and Kawashima and the Chin disappearing smells of "Well that draft of the story went up in flames, we better tie that loose end off SOMEhow."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I wonder if there was going to be stuff about the party travelling west to Europe - would explain why Kowloon got so much work but ended up jammed in as a sidequest.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Everybody in Europe would be too busy worrying about when/if The Great War is going to happen to care about what happened in China.

Unless it's July, not really. The war was very much unexpected even by some of the parties involved in bringing it about. And China was a drat big market and imperial playground- an entire city disappearing along with the legations would stop the entire world.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Also IIRC this is early 1914, so it's a few months.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Just because it's not the July Crisis yet doesn't mean there's no political strife :v: The general region was a powder keg long before the July Crisis finally set it off.

There was simmering nationalism and oppression especially in the Hungarian half of the empire, but not a powder keg in the Balkan sense.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He looks like the ancestor of another unkempt clergyman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-WRb2u4po

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Trini, 4th decade, 3rd of Brumaire, 227

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Actually it's spelled Quinoa.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe Nintendo is the only exclusively games focused dev of the big ones and even then they have the entire Pokemon franchise as a parachute.

They also have like a decade or more cash on hand saved up. There's a reason the company lasted almost 100 years before it got into video games.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They've been fairly generous in licensing stuff like Castlevania recently- I think they're going the Capcom route in that searing hatred of one developer made them smash up their own business for a little while.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Illuyankas posted:

Which developer for Capcom was that?

Inafune.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kemix posted:

Oh god you have no idea. They had to shoehorn in a LOT of stuff just because the DS was new at the time. It's easily one of the worst RPGs out there IMO.

All of Dragon Song's bad decisions can be explained by the team being massively rushed to be the first RPG on the DS, regardless of quality.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So wait are those slides about Franz Ferdinand in the default ending? Does the good ending stop WWI?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I read gud

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If only Yuri could have been in the right place at the right time to punch away that bullet that shot archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Failing that:

-Punch Kaiser Franz Josef and his ministers in the face to convince them not to issue an ultimatum that would lead to war with Serbia and Russia.
-Punch the Tsar in the face to convince him his army's not in any state to challenge Germany.
-Punch Kaiser Wilhelm and the German General Staff in the face to convince them not to escalate the war. (Also works for Part 1)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Right, and the ultimate decision lay with the Tsar. Both Germany and Austro-Hungary were partially autocratic but not on the scale of the Russian Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

habituallyred posted:

Pedant Police: Archduke Ferdinand was the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire at the time of his death. I thought he gave it up to marry his wife, but it looks like that only applied to their kids. Being in line for the throne is 9/10ths of what being a prince is about so I would give them a pass for this one.

You're probably thinking of Edward VIII who abdicated to marry an American divorcee. However the previous heir, Kronprinz Rudolf, committed suicide with his 17-year-old mistress in 1889.