Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hell yeah :woop: I look forward to The Adventures Of Yuri.

Xander77 posted:

Getting owned?
I think he means the way he gets up is the way the Undertaker tends to.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: Quote is not edit!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The Addition system in Legend of Dragoon for the PS1 is the only other RPG combat system I've played that had something similar to the Judgement Ring.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It was the early era of CGI. No one was gonna look pretty in the cutscenes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

why are you like this yuri?

He really isn't; it almost never comes up again, other than one or two spots where it's much less awkward. I agree with other posters, I think this section of the game was made a lot earlier to pitch it/as part of a demo, and then they just didn't bother/forgot to go back and change it once they'd figured out what they wanted to do with his character.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The enthusiasm for the game is much appreciated, but let's dial it back a smidgen, people

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Nohman posted:

Harmonixer is a cool dumb term.

Yeah, it manages to sound important without being pretentious.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Yep, from what I can tell Yuri's plan was basically:

-Go inside and mooch off of the locals.
-Figure out who you have to punch. (Optional Step)
-Punch everybody anyway once they inevitably try to kill you.
-Profit.

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's why no one remembers him. Everyone remembers James because he was a terrible turbo-racist rear end in a top hat whose sole redeeming feature was his love for the dead lady.

Zhuzhen is distinctly not a turbo-racist rear end in a top hat and is in fact pretty much an all-around cool dude, so he's just kind of there by comparison.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Yuri reminds me of the kid from Digimon Data Squad, who digivolves his Agumon by punching the opposing digimon in the face himself. If, like in some cases, it doesn't have a face to punch, he gives it a face and punches that.

Marcus is the best Digimon protagonist. This can actually be a problem in late game; the enemy has to survive his punch for the digivolution to start, and his damage scales with Agumon's level. So he can end up doing a very passable One Punch Man impression :kamina:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

They carried it to the MMO as well; if your Tamer level is high enough and you're getting a big enough Atk boost from your digimon you can one-shot Mega/Super-Ultimate level mobs with Marcus' Punch ability, and it never stops being satisfying.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Nah, Yuri isn't nearly Chaotic Evil enough to be Shang Tsung.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Give him a break, he's got other stuff on his plate these days :v: Its not like there's any shortage of other opportunities in this game.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I think it was right about here that the Shadow Hearts series cemented itself as one of my favorites :allears:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Well, Megaten Lucifer is also a lot more on your side than god is, especially in Nocturne, so there's also that :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

This is true, but he's also largely okay with you doing whatever the hell you want, as long as it isn't doing what YHVH wants. And why would you do that? YHVH is an rear end in a top hat of colossal proportions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

:jeb: is all I see.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

There's a Red Dragon movie photoshop just begging to be made regarding Man Dragon but I haven't the talent for it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Or he might just not be terribly fluent in English/Chinese/whatever they're speaking.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

You can't fool me, game. Those are clearly just pistachios. :colbert:

Nonsense! They're magical pistachios! :downs:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Basically it's your typical RPG military "if it's not in our hands, it's in the wrong hands!" dumbassery.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Not so much corrupting the four directional gods as it is getting them out of the way so they can't prevent the ritual from happening in the first place.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I think it's just this one battle.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

At least it's not like, say, Legend Of Dragoon where you're stuck with Dart the entire game, literally cannot swap him out of the party, and there's at least one dungeon where his fire affinity actively works against you the entire time :shepface:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Glazius posted:

So is this cat "master" as in "young master"? Or did Zhuzhen not only awaken a cat but teach it mysticism?

What do you mean 'or'?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Just getting here they had to deal with a ghost forcibly brought back and then turned into a horrible tentacle monstrosity. A talking cat-turned-humanoid is positively quaint by comparison.

E: Hell, they've *already* dealt with talking cat-people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Well, that was predictable. All of this could've been avoided if you'd just given us the drat votive at the start.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

amigolupus posted:

So wait, why does Dehuai need to torture Alice by electrocuting her again? Doesn't he need her in tip top condition for the Demon’s Gate Invocation, much less not accidentally kill her? Dehuai, why are you so bad at this villain gig? :psyduck:

Look, when you're the guy summoning who knows what from who knows where in a bid to destroy the world, you get to call the shots. :moreevil:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Glazius posted:

Well, at least we know Bacon's schtick now? Or does a gentleman not restrict himself to a single class of incomprehensible horrors?

Look, when you get to his age, you learn a thing or two from the Cenobites to keep things interesting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Lost Odyssey: where the question is, what is it like to be immortal?
And the answer is: it loving SUUUCKS!!!

I never finished my playthrough. I should fix that! No other game actually made me feel sad for the characters the way that one did.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 6, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You gotta give Yuri props, not many protagonists would just skip straight to option Fuse With The Giant Monster when presented with it. Sure, it didn't work, but it's the principle of the thing!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon Yuri successfully fused with that angel/god thing, but the problem is his mental default is "punch stuff" and, well, Shanghai got Punched.
"gently caress yeah! Wait poo poo I didn't mean to-... Oh man I am in so much trouble..."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Kevin: Just The Worst.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Keith just rolling with things is one of the reasons he's so great. He's several hundred years old, none of this (other than Yuri) is particularly surprising anymore.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Pfirsich for Peach, Rosa for Pink, Google translate tells me. Grimoire Rosa would fit better with the Grimoires naming schemes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Just because it's not the July Crisis yet doesn't mean there's no political strife :v: The general region was a powder keg long before the July Crisis finally set it off.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

What the gently caress?... :psyduck:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

All the gravestones here are lit up light it's Christmas
Should be 'like'.

:toot: new fusions! I do like that they gave him new models for them, this was the era where they could've easily just cranked up the stats and gone "good enough"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

The Gold Mask is a bull, not a lion.

On second thought, I think its supposed to be both.

This is the early era of PS2 graphics, what a thing looks like and what it's supposed to be are not always on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Getting your money jacked in an RPG is never a fun time.

Adnor posted:

Oh good you name one of the kids, for a second I was scared they would all die 15 minutes after being introduced.
That only saves the one of them, the rest of them are still fair game :v: