Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I know this is a JRPG, so local bias and all, but are we really supposed to think of a dude who offs a bunch of Imperial Japan soldiers as a baddie? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Came for Roger Bacon.

Stayed for the utterly fantastic item and monster descriptions.

More in-game datalogs need to read as if they were outsourced to Nathan Explosion.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

This is kind of bonkers.

I think I actually kind of like Yuri.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sweet Baby Buddha. Did that article about the Hino-Enma read as complete and utter word salad to anyone else? :psyduck:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, Nonsensical JRPG Adventurer Mata Hari whose deadliest weapon of all is shade-throwing is a legit fantastic character and I love this.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

So we're gonna pick this up with a new set of PCs, right? :stare:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Gotta love some good straight-up Cthulhu Mythos tie-ins, however mangled by the localisation. Though not without precedent, what with a Gug stomping around in the last game.

Sadly, those stories (while fun) were kinda all the racist parts. Every single monster was some kind of allegory to Howie's abject terror of all things not pure lily-white Anglo. It runs so deep that it's kind of fascinating in a really wretched way.

So I'd say it's pretty hosed up about child Yuri's whole awakening from a supernatural berserk rampage covered in his mom's blood, but it's weird how jaded you get to childhood trauma after the many strange ventures weve had. Didn't pretty much exactly the same (and then some) go down for old Fei Fong Wong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

At the very least, Fei and Yuri are at the same group therapy.

Maybe with that one chocobo from FFX, and Two from DG3.