Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
For all its inconsistencies I have fond memories of SH1, but Jesus I forgot how, um...inconsistent the art is between the portraits, models, and FMV. Maybe it's just because the later games are fresher in my memory, but our hero seems to have spent more time off-model in this update than on.

Here he's being understudied by a giraffe with the face of a Suikoden character grafted onto it, for science. Who in the art department signed off on that neck? E.T.?

And here we accidentally got a front shot of his stunt double, Vicki Lawrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The most perplexing thing about that design has always been...the little Puritan bonnet. Like after this weird demon tongue-goose is done cursing people to death with rocks it's just going to drop by Goody Proctor's for a cup of flour and some slut-shaming.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, that time in Shanghai when Celebrity Deathmatch Vicki Lawrence fused with Similar To But Legally Distinct From Mitochondria Eve while Play-Doh John Inman delivered a villain monologue straight from the cue cards with no rehearsal.

Bacon getting beaned mid-exit was pretty great, though. I completely forgot about that.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Ratoslov posted:

Also, weren't we talking a lot about that Valorization of the world poo poo? Does this have any connection to that whatsoever?

quote:

Indeed. It would mean a repeat performance of the nightmare we lived through fifteen years ago.
The nightmare fifteen years ago? The “Valorization”…?
It’s a ritual that, in effect, turns the entire world upside down. Dehuai attempted the Valorization once before. Countless people lost their lives in the catastrophic earthquakes and disasters that followed.
Fifteen years ago, huh… So, this Valorization didn’t work?
Hah! You must be joking. If he’d succeeded, it would have meant the end of the world. As I recall… A certain man stood in Dehuai’s way and gave his life to stop the process of the Valorization. Having lost half his body in that battle, Dehuai went underground… But now he’s plotting a comeback. Yes, plotting secretly to carry out the Valorization rite known as the “Demon’s Gate Invocation”!!

The DGI and RDGI seem to be subsets of Valorization, which appears to be dubiously-chosen fancy talk for "summon Gozer, blow poo poo up."

Tallgeese posted:

Actually, that's why it's confusing. If I recall, Zhuzhen has already said that Ben Hyuga had to absorb the thing summoned by the Demon's Gate Invocation, and died as a result. It sounds like they do the same thing.

quote:

The Seraphic Radiance?! You mean you’re NOT plotting to carry out the Demon’s Gate Invocation?!
Correct. This magic is far more complex than the simple Invocation used to summon an Earth spirit!

It summons a bigger Gozer. I dunno what else you want; more adjectives = more better, that's just science.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Robindaybird posted:

yea, given they were too lazy or ran out of time/money to dub all the battle noises. But now this is gonna bug me from an in-universe sense (not helping I've read SSSS which made the fact the team all don't share the same language a plot point)

Try not to think too hard about how the English girl, the half-Russian Japanese boy, the old Chinese dude, the Dutch Franco-German spy, and the Romanian vampire who was last awake in the 18th century can all communicate flawlessly with each other and every random schlub they meet across the whole of Eurasia.

(I choose to believe they can't, but everyone can see the dialogue boxes.)

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

I can't see this portrait as anything but Jack sticking his front teeth out to make a HURRR face.

Well now I can't, either.

Also dang, I totally remembered this segment being a lot...bigger. I could have sworn this part involved some kind of big fancy Inadvisable Science Lab, not an oversized stewpot and a couple of room dividers shoved in a spare closet.

Wonderslug fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 26, 2018

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Being given tissues is apparently just a thing that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Albert's just wearing the Untrue Dark Ring.