Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nthing the whole music is great bit. Hearing some of the tracks and a friend's description of Yuri was what got me into the game, though I never did finish it. The emulator I used refused to let me have a nice time with the Judgement Ring, so that soured me on the game for a while.

I was under the impression that this game did fairly well since it got several sequels. Did it really not get that much attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yuri is edgy in the way that Dante is edgy. Meaning basically not at all.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alaan posted:

That forced me to check eBay. The REAL outrage is Drakengard 2 is selling for more. Drakengard is $18-35, D2 $30-45.

Ebay hasn't been a good measure of market price in years.

Keldulas posted:

he can be seen as an equality thing of sorts!

Not even remotely.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shitenshi posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but knock that poo poo off. Show some appreciation.

Chill out, dude.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Beyond not realizing that the characters in this game were based off real people, I remember changing her name back to Malkovich because that was way cooler then Margarete.

She's a fun character, but yeah I totally saw her more as a slightly more selfaware Clouseau.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

IMJack posted:

The descriptions of angels from ancient Levantine mythology could be pretty jacked up. Too many wings, too many faces, bizarre anatomy and geometry that wouldn't be out of place in a Cthulhu mythos book. The "baby faced pretty boy with wings" idea is fairly recent in comparison.

Bayonetta sort of has the right idea going with a lot its angelic enemies. Just monstrous things that wear lots of marble-esque stuff to cover up their even worse features.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Also move the puppy to the left side. Plane exploding jerk would never be excited for mcdonalds.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Schwartzcough posted:

Man Dragon just looks like a budget Xenomorph to me.

He also looks more like a kappa then the other kappas we saw.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Weird that they turned the chinese ghost sorta into a greek creature, or is there a yokai equivalent of the scylla?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Glazius posted:

What makes Yuri immune to Gate of Death? Protagonist immunities? Different stats? Hardcoded in the game?

Probably the same thing that let him reattach his arm in the opening.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Update is well timed with the release of Monster Hunter: Cat Puns Edition.

The Dark Id posted:

Nice digs. Looks vaguely like a less than memorable fighting game arena. Maybe from the PS2 era Mortal Kombat games. drat, remember when those trash fire games were the only 3D fighters holding any mainstream public interest at the time? Like even Tekken had shat the bed around that time with Tekken 4. Those were some dark days...

Hey now, Soul Calibur 2 was both good and sorta popular at the time. :argh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pretty sure this is the point I would have slammed in the action replay or something. Kid me would not have had to patience for a dungeon like this, even if it wasn't overly difficult.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Huh. Thought for sure Suketani was gonna end up betraying Kawashima or something like that. Like Kato was gonna jump in front of her to take a bullet when Suketani revealed his true colors. Guess not.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gotta figure this is one of those sections that they finished, but couldn't fit it in the plot in a way they liked. Still, always nice to see the cosmic nexus of pain and misery that is the walled city, even if it is side content.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kase moch posted:

How in the hell did the real Kowloon fit 50,000 people into six and a half acres. That’s a tiny space. How.

Humans are good at living in a variety of awful conditions. Cramped spaces especially, which is why it's one of those concepts that pops up in scifi a lot.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The real secret to lost odyssey's greatness was the pure depression it mainlined right into your heart. Don't think I've ever played a sadder game than that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Dark Id posted:

Did that bimbo just f'n shoot my cat!?

Not gonna lie, I lost it at this line. Dehuai shoulda remembered you always give your bosses immunity to death in jrpgs.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm probably being an idiot - but is he speaking literally or figuratively about Dehuai being his brother? Because this comes out of nowhere.

Figuratively. As in they trained together.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Dark Id posted:

Hahah—D'OH!

Massive props to the animator who decided that the villain should get smacked in the back of the head after his victory speech. This sweeping, dramatic scene and then pop. The game has now peaked and will never match this moment.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

My name is Kevin and this... is Bloodborne.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There's something appealing about the dumb grade titles on the score card. They're exactly the kind of thing kid me woulda obsessed over, like the animal titles in mgs.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Don't seem to recall Edward having anime powerups randomly, so I guess Halley gets it from his mother's side.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I miss koudelka's voice work.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Really Pants posted:

It's a 3rd-person stealth game, not an RPG, but ECHO does this.

To explain a bit more, Echo's whole thing is that you have to make your way through levels filled with evil clones of yourself. At the start, they will wander back and forth in set patrol routes. As you make your way through the level, the lights will turn off and on. Everything you do while the lights are on gets recorded and becomes something the clones can do during the next light cycle. So if you spend all your time crouched and sneaking, so will the clones. There's more to it, but it's a neat system.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I appreciate the amount of times the game just has people get decked and go flipping.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Turns out Jack was actually close to saving the world from the menace of the soul-binding orphans.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Honestly thought the bathroom guy was just gonna have passed the air stone like a kidney stone and Yuri was gonna have to grab it out of the toilet. Glad it was only a little gross instead.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Those last couple lines by Simon are what I feel to be the best voice acted lines in the game and some of my favorite lines in the series.

Dude has a great evil laugh, for sure.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kemix posted:

Echoing the loving sentiment. God drat I can't wait to see Konami stop bastardizing their franchises. Also calling a Yu-Gi-Oh pachinko machine if one hasn't happened yet.

Shadow Hearts isn't a Konami series.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Got some major Inside vibes from this thing. Giant blobs of flesh with hands sticking out are just universally creepy.

Shitenshi posted:

3 should be Orb Chaos's, I think.

Orb Chaos'. You leave the extra s off of words that end in an s.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Aside from the little bit with Alice's dad, eradication is a really loving creepy attack.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fist of the Berserks: Yuri's Rage

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Star Shape sounds real good, but it's absolutely the kind of song on a boring level that would make me put the controller down and take a nap while it played on loop.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The rafters area kinda makes me think of the Penrose stairs. Which I guess is appropriate considering how misleading the area is supposed to be.

Zagglezig posted:

On the subject of scapegoats making scapegoats, isn't shoving bad things repeatedly into one vessel until it turns powerful and evil basically the backstory of FFV's Exdeath?

It was also the backstory for F/SN's take on the Angra Mainyu.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 10, 2019

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Nice of Alice to not even try cluing Yuri into the shitstorm that was that "dream." Like not even a, "Hey, so I had this funky dream about a graveyard and masks. Should I be worried?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Aside from the previous stuff with the masks, that was a surprisingly subdued death. Still super sad though.