Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
These games are absolutely bonkers good, the first two moreso than the third (but the third still a pretty good JRPG despite even fewer people playing it than played Koudelka), and I'm super happy to experience them all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
You know, that's fair and true. Koudelka doesn't have that kind of name recognition. Still, From The New World definitely got a bad rap because instead of being "an absolutely fantastic JRPG" it's merely "an above-average JRPG."

As for Yuri's weird cutscene regeneration power, I believe that's...briefly touched on at some point? Possibly it's just something I rationalized because of his deal? I don't know, it's weird, and talking about the situation constitutes a massive spoiler.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
This is one of my favorite moments in one of my favorite series, for a whole ton of reasons. Roger Bacon proves what a great antagonist he is, mixing threatening, dapper, and a moment of actual hilarity; Seraphic Radiance is a downright terrifying display of power that you'd normally expect from the endgame of a JRPG, and instead you get it midway through, blowing apart a city to show you that yeah the villains have some actual teeth behind them; Yuri proves that he's a really decent dude underneath his bluster, swagger, and general attitude, charging headfirst into the monster to try and save the day; Yuri *FAILS* to save the day and the consequences are DIRE for both the party and the city.

It's very strong, and it's very unique. Shadow Hearts is one of those rare JRPGs of the era that really, really, really broke the mold in a lot of ways, and this moment is a big reason why, at least for me. It's up there with Nocturne, the Personas, and Okage as some of my favorite work on the PS2, and the hits from this series *will* just keep coming, and they *will* keep being incredible.