Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Night10194 posted:

This is a game of amazing occult superheros and it rules.

And this is also unquestionably the sanest game in the mainline trilogy, and we already have said occult superhero punching a dapper Roger Bacon in the face after he invoked the Necronomicon.

Basically, Shadow Hearts is incredibly insane and it's so good :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I'm following an LP of God Hand and the thought that keeps coming to mind is "Would Gene get along with this other smartass punchman, or would they get on each other's nerves?"

Yes.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

The two children fade away, indicating they are very permanently dead. That’s not just a demon thing. For some reason in Shadow Hearts, all characters who are actually dead will fade away like a Jedi whether they’re human or demon. That said, I’m glad we got the traditional LP child murder out of the way early on. I swear I’m not doing this on purpose in games I pick to LP!

Listen, Id, I'm beginning to think you have some deep-seated issues with children at this point. Did a child hurt you at some point in your life, Id? :crossarms:

In all seriousness though I think that says more worrying things about the games you LP than you because yes, it just keeps happening.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure this was his plan from the second he heard the voice trying to warn him.

He mentioned he's 'never bored' because it always leads him to stuff to punch in the face, after all.

Yep, from what I can tell Yuri's plan was basically:

-Go inside and mooch off of the locals.
-Figure out who you have to punch. (Optional Step)
-Punch everybody anyway once they inevitably try to kill you.
-Profit.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

This is gonna be a bit of a tangent, sure, but could you explain the method to Citan's madness? I'm still having trouble parsing his rear end in a top hat moves.

something something save the world something something foreshadology something God something

That explain things?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well, Megaten Lucifer is also a lot more on your side than god is, especially in Nocturne, so there's also that :v:

Let's be real here, almost anyone in MegaTen is more on your side than YHWH is in those games. Louis is admittedly a much lesser evil by comparison, but he's still one shady mofo almost all the time (SMT2 probably being the only exception).

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Thing is Jeremy Blaustein localized the game, he's the guy who did the English localization for games like MGS1, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Snatcher, and Shadow Hearts Covenant so he's not some scrub. Also as I said before a bunch of the 4Kids Pokemon dub VAs worked on this and they weren't a bunch of rookies either. I get the feeling Midway just cheaped out on the localization and made them rush it or something.

Yeah, I definitely get the vibe of budget issues here rather than bad localization - so far the writing's been pretty consistent and when proper cutscenes come up they have pretty solid voice acting (see our beloved Sea Lady's ghost story for proof).

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

You know I thought those rapid cuts for Game of Death in the update were just a funny thing you did to play on the name.

Then I watched the video and saw that was in the game to begin with :allears:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Considering his track record, I'm not sure he would have thought that far ahead if the team hadn't shown up

Considering his track record I think he would have just been immediately annihilated the second he even tried anyway.

Also that comic is amazing.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Omobono posted:

The villain in the first Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't a nihilist, right? Omnicidal, but not a nihilist.

He was close - at least if we're talking about the actual main villain. He was the kind of guy who literally saw no value in any life other than himself.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Mazed posted:

So I'd say it's pretty hosed up about child Yuri's whole awakening from a supernatural berserk rampage covered in his mom's blood, but it's weird how jaded you get to childhood trauma after the many strange ventures weve had. Didn't pretty much exactly the same (and then some) go down for old Fei Fong Wong?

Oh no, Fei had it waaaayworse.

-Tortured by his possessed mom in inhuman experiments
--Also during said experiments he watched people die around him in droves
-Basically ignored by his dad once the experimenting started
-Ended up forming a psychotic split personality as a result of all of this
-Accidentally killed his own mother (who was un-possessed) with a burst of energy

The most Yuri had to deal with was someone else killing his mom.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

The trouble with FtNW as an LP is that the main appeal is "it's Covenant's battle system but actually kinda hard", so the LPer has to put in effort or really know the game well, but the plotty bits are... a step back shall we say.
The music is easily the best in the series though!

Anyone who doesn't get the urge to go demon slaying when "Dead Fingers Talk" kicks in has no soul :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

FTNW seems to me like it is to the original Shadow Hearts and Covenant what Drakengard 2 is to 1.

They're not really that bad of games (okay, I'm probably being generous with Drakengard 2 admittedly), but they are bad sequels to franchises and lost what made their predecessors so compelling.