Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Geomancing posted:

Watch the intro video if only to listen to the accents of those two Japanese guards.
Funny thing about that. They sounded really familiar and it finally clicked at the head officer's voice that they're all flavors of the voice of Grandpa from Yu-gi-oh. And sure enough, same actress.

The Dark Id posted:

Surely, the capital of Normandy region of France is devoid of dark rituals

But transcontinental railroads is another matter altogether.

that has had any less than at one or more murders

it’s amazing she managed to get a drop of blood on her pristine outfit when it has coated literally every surface around her

it was actually like a really aggressive, large mosquitos

Like if Piccolo in Dragon Ball Z just did the regrown a limb technique exactly once

Unfortunate, there’s one thing he didn’t take into account.

The monk’s Brand sends the man flinging back through the wall of three train cars.

Most of these are small add a short word or change a letter sort of things, so I'll just list them: "of the Normandy region", "railroads are", "than one", "to not get", "mosquito", "regrow", "Unfortunately", and "flying".
Not totally sure if the last one was intentional or a typo cause you were thinking about saying "flings the man", but seemed better to bring it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It was released in late 2001. The 90s as a cultural period don't line up exactly with the decade.

Yeah, cultural decades tend to be more like the 10 years between X3 and Y3 than the way the naming convention works.

The Dark Id posted:

That sort of poo poo is probably hanging out the countryside of China back in the early 1900s.

Alice’s unique ability is White Magic and right now her only spell is Cure. The assorted Chinese spiders and bats have taken a liking to biting his knees a bit.

First should be "hanging out in the" and second should probably be "Yuri's" since he wasn't mentioned in the previous sentence or earlier in the highlighted one.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well done with the monster hunter and fast and furious puns. Those were fun.

The Dark Id posted:

going to be flopping out and every laughs at me.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
If I'd never played/seen other JRPGs with similar gay characters and scenes, I could maybe see Meiyuan as an early writing thing to balance out the harassment grief that Alice got in the early stuff, but I suspect that probably wasn't the intention.

The Dark Id posted:

Presumable he just ragdolls and flops over on the floor for a few minutes

Zhuzhen’s unique flavor of magical attack is called Ying and Yang.

hits all enemies on the field for about 50-65 HP of a damage currently,

Almost didn't catch the Yin/Ying thing, but your image showed the correct name.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The nekomata stories sound like stuff told by people who didn't really like cats.
"The mountains are full of jerkface cats that'll eat you. Don't got there. Also, maybe Snuffles cuddles with you now, but when he's old he'll definitely turn into a jerkface and try to eat you and run off."

The Dark Id posted:

Offensively, Felinus’s primary ability is Wind Fang which while slice into the entire party

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Omobono posted:

I don't know if expanded material expanded on this, but from his chat with the masks I can see a previous adventure, roughly with the same scope as Koudelka, where the masks are the main villains and he defeats them but without managing to fully exorcise them so the four assholes set up shop in his soul in revenge.

It certainly sounds like part of his whole job class technique is letting demon spirits inside himself to use their power, so if those 4 masks are the remnants of his first 4 kills, then I could see that being significant enough to do something special in this sort of world. I imagine if Yuri were on the magic priest side or just some punchy normal dude like Edward was, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Crowetron posted:

Clothes maketh the man.

The Tuxedo of Dapperdom: made from silk threads harvested from holy silk worms by monks at a sacred Buddhist temple, spun into thread by a hundred virgin nuns at the Vatican, and finally knitted together by a Jewish tailor who was surrounded by an actively singing choir. The tophat and shoes have equally fancy pedigrees.
Or that level of thing but evil if you're figuring it's more of a demonic deal. Maybe a mix of the two.

The Dark Id posted:

we are reward with a Star Brooch for defeating the Yamaraja

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Kawashima's plainclothes tactic is what keeps those darn Russian spies from finding out which random citizen yelling at the military is really her in charge.

The Dark Id posted:

But seriously, it could strain or beautiful friendship.

This first dude right here we only have the window of the end of this update

The two bolt for the door just as the shopkeeper’s husband run in.

That second reads weird. Probably should be "until" or something similar.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Now, is the puppy just a puppy or some spirit/monster/spy/magic dude in disguise? Or a magic dog, maybe.

The Dark Id posted:

you get a free show if you like around for a minute...

the bombing knocked loose a Lottery Ticket in a random spot in the alley. We’ll need to for later.

Fengtian’ sewers are no exception...

Guessing the 2nd should be "it" or "that" and the 3rd is missing an "s" on that possessive.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Also we need more anime Roger bacons

Apparently so, a quick search for him in media only pulled up Koudelka and Shadow Hearts stuff before getting into different characters named Roger.

The Dark Id posted:

But we can hand handwave that
------------
Lady, could you STOP doing terrorist attacks!? Really reconsidering hanging out with you.
I told you, it's not terrorist attacks it's strategic strikes from a master spy!
------------
Back to the enemy at hand. Marguerite is just going to be lobbing grenades
------------
I feel like we should fall back and get reinforcements.
I will not be dishonored by retreating!
....stuff.......
…I think we can take 'em. Charge!

Second one seems like your added dialogue, so needs italics. 4th looks like the portraits should be switched on those last two lines.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Wow, they call him Dehual in his bio. It's definitely not a font thing, either. Kawashima's bio has both i and l to compare with.

The Dark Id posted:

return to slinging grenades at everything until things starts being quite so insane.

Our plane can be in the air in just a few minutes.

Sorry to make you change the first again, but guessing it should be "stop". Second should probably be "planes" since the in-game stuff used the plural.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
All these death fakeouts are starting to feel like some sort of radio serial.

The Dark Id posted:

Margarete turned pulled it up just in time.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Gotta spend your voice acting budget in the proper places. Now I'm imagining if all those various diaries and letters we found in Koudelka had been dramatically voiced.

The Dark Id posted:

So, you're saying a lovely port town is offering multiple hats made from horse hair from a guy in the 1200s.

Hide, not hair. I also like how they kill this horse, or it dies on its own, it turns into a dragon (like a butterfly I guess?), and then they just go ahead and make horse leather hats out of the old body.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah, that's just how it ends. The father dies in a storm, Li-Li is said and wails a lot, then presumably dad corpse flops back to the house and...that's the end, except according to the bio Li-Li killed herself. Maybe we'll get more exposition later?

Ep XVII

The Dark Id posted:

Defeating Heaven's Field grants us its soul

Ep XVIII

The Dark Id posted:

Everyone has no dialogue but it's all just uninteresting variations

If we took to Dirty Samo wandering in the corner of the restaurant like a weird creep

That last one should be "talk" and "Filthy", unless you said Dirty on purpose.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Now I'm wondering how many fancy sidequest accessories make the jump across the various games in the series.

Edit - update on previous page.

Episode XXIV

The Dark Id posted:

It’s protected my Master Xifa himself.

If that drat Dehuai really is going
to release
that Demon’s Gate Convocation upon us…

That second one looks like a single line that got spaced into two.

Episode XXIV

The Dark Id posted:

Episode XV: Pit Fighter

was a man by, who all accounts

Mr. Zhen too NO goddamn time overhauling this bar

The turn and set off for the final battle.

Second one needs "by" and "who" flipped around.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The empty chest thing is probably what other people are saying, but part of me imagined they were the ones Zhuzhen opened on his first go through this and they just never got refilled.

The Dark Id posted:

You can't use 'em, but I'll see you some items.

is once more offering his wears in case we really need some supplies.

overcompensating for the spit party business way too hard

other than mentioning a couple piece of new loot we retrieved along the way.

The only difference is [url= https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitama]Mitama[/i] denotes a Shinto belief

that the soul is actually a cluster of several opposite by complementary aspects.

Second should be "wares", fourth should be "couple pieces"

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I half expected Alice's knocked out pose to be that same butt-in-the-air sleeping pose she's had, and maybe it is, but at least they turned her on her side.

The Dark Id posted:

Xiaofang grabs the portrait and starts running back to Xifa. Mid-stride a surge of energy blasted the cat boy.

Should probably be "blasts" to keep the present tense.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It's sort of interesting that there's essentially some Japan military politics story that's only tangentially related to our party at all. It's like those cut-away side stories in FF9 that alter bits of the world structure, but aren't properly felt by anyone you control except in one or two cutscenes somewhere along the way.

The Dark Id posted:

after... a good day half day trip...

we can gather our troops and prepare to invade
Kuihai
Tower. Understood?

discover what happened to Alice and complete skirt our responsibilities

Got some spacing weirdness on that second one, third should be "completely"

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It's just not a monstrous horror building without at least a few questionable meat piles around.

The Dark Id posted:

Where do people even get those steal oil drums to burn fires in

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Earlier in either this thread or maybe towards the end of the Koudelka one, someone mentioned Yuri and Caim getting along. This chapter end scene is pretty much what I thought of when thinking about that.
"Killed the evil magic man and stopped the summoning, but then some other person just pops in and picks it right back up and now there's an angelic god-demon thing? No hesitation, sass the villain, and fling yourself at that sucker to try and make it into an upgrade!"
I think they'd have fun swapping stories.

The Dark Id posted:

For our troubles the party a splendid Cash settlement and a massive dump of EXP.

Also, not sure "cash" should be capitalized, but I'll leave that to your judgement.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Do you think Margarete is following any orders/making reports or is she just going along with magic monster stuff for a few more months and her superiors are cool not having to deal with her explosive-based plans?

The Dark Id posted:

Peddler Rosa is offering quite a few new items in here "Time is Money" shop.

Perhaps he started a partnership with Alice, so he would no longer the most useless member of the party in battle.

First one looks like it should be "her". Also, pretty sure you don't need that comma in the second one.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder if the hand-face dogs are the wolves Nina mentioned or if they're just also around in the local deadly ecosystem.

The Dark Id posted:

My friend's dad said he was an “old money fuckboi.”

Alice, are going to see the master?

The first one works, but there was a bunch of "my dad's friend" before that, so figured I'd check.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I remember being surprised at the changes to vampire rules over the years when I got around to reading Dracula sometime after college. In there it's garlic flowers, specifically, rather than the root bulbs you always see (except the time they chop off one's head and stuff its mouth with garlic). Crosses probably would have worked and burned on contact, but they used sacramental wafers more often than crosses. Sunlight was just a power drain. Dracula runs around in mid day at one point and he's fine, he just can't use any powers. Turning into mist and being able to go through unsealed cracks in doors and windows was also new to me.

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 24, 2018

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I think the middle portrait is supposed to be Keith?

That does make a certain amount of sense, but if so, it's a mistake the game itself made. (Should be spoiler-free to watch, as the vid cuts off where we did, but I can't speak for sidebar vids)

The Dark Id posted:

You likely found somewhere to sleep for the night. Like you should go do.

THAT is that the fruit of months of experimentation and research into vampirism and occult arts has yielded?

Should be "They" and "what".

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Kicks are the less obvious way to wipe smug looks off people's faces and Yuri is ever a straightforward solution sort of person.

Episode XLI

The Dark Id posted:

This aura belongs too… Yes! I’m sure of it!

have a limited pool of MP but he'll if a fight ever lasts long enough

Should be "to" and "hell"

Episode XLII

The Dark Id posted:

One month half that concluded half a year ago, no less!

I did not wake up today think we would get a free soul to curse.

There's an AWFUL LOT of Chinese folk that hates your guts.

Not sure the half part is supposed to be there in the first one and it sounds awkward. Third one should be "hate".

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Wonder if the stairs were the game trying to guarantee you'd be able to use that gravestone by the time you'd gotten it.

The Dark Id posted:

I'm glad you all found me so quickly and slapped some sense into me. It would have sucked to have been stuck like that for much longer.
It's not a problem.

his entire second half of the game spells just eats through too much MP

Missing a portrait in the last bit of the first one. Second should be "spells just eat".

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The general face structure of the high cheeks, wrinkled forehead, open mouth and prominent chin in the Olga image reminds me of those oni masks.

The Dark Id posted:

the obvious witch we briefly saw murking Terry

check the stalls a few more time to confirm something is amidst!?

Yuri barges in finally notices something is wrong after the two-plus minute long magic battle.

The will never do this.

Could be wrong on the first one, just always assumed it was "mercing", from mercenary. Third one could probably lose the "barges in" bit or maybe change to "barges in, finally noticing"

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
After all the years of seeing mostly just the FF fire ogre interpretation of ifrit, feels almost weird seeing a fire lizard guy.
So, do the new forms completely replace the old ones or do you get a choice of which to use?

The Dark Id posted:

Did the freaky angelic nightmare from earlier just wasn't unnerving looking enough?

This is a bit of a mix of possible ways to say it. "Did the ...not look unnerving enough?" "I guess/Maybe/For some reason the... just wasn't unnerving looking enough?" Pretty much a pick your preference sorta deal.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder if the God of Death is just bored and is the one setting up these weird recipes for monsters like the mailman that eats dogs, the bat that shows up when you burn a dead rat with drugs and feathers, and the knights who don't kill enough stuff. Cause there's a bunch of those mingled in with regular stuff like just plain evil ghosts, monsters, and normal dangerous wildlife.

...I was trying to figure out why the pedometer thing would mention a vague pikachu reference, then I remembered the pikachu pedometers.

The Dark Id posted:

cast Holy Edge on Margarete and then we'll our newly returned spy start the bullet storm

he technically made it two scenes before dying and was mention prior to appearing/dying.

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 14, 2018

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Li-li was old enough to marry, so probably not her. I suppose there's the who knows, it's all unconfirmed state of Shanghai's casualties.

I'm sure we're off to pick them up first, since there's no reason not to, but part of me is amused at the idea that the group might forget Keith and Zhuzhen in the hurry to investigate about the Cardinal's place, so the two sit around the hotel lobby waiting for the rest to bring money to pay for rooms.

The Dark Id posted:

we'll just pilfer one more thing from the impoverish youngens.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'm betting Bacon cursed this dude's mom in the first place and probably slipped a few books on black magic on a coffee table when the guy was getting really desperate to figure out why his mom is dying.
What's the current in-game date, by the way? Since at the very least the Emigre document was Bacon, is this something he's had on boil before Yuri and pals or is it more of a fun way to pass the time over the six month time skip?
Edit: Nevermind, just checked the intro, which is 1913, so this started at least 3 years before we came into it.

The Dark Id posted:

that Joshua gave us will unlock one the doors on the second floor

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 25, 2018

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
For a moment, I thought maybe Jack was the last bit needed to get the pot going, but then he started talking, so he didn't die, so that can't be it. I guess naked bug person is just how the Emigre ressurrection's recipe works out.

If he had the eye patch as a doctor, I hope he wasn't doing surgeries. Depth perception feels like an important ability you'd want in a surgeon.
It might fit if he got it from a particularly feisty orphan or the angry parent of some not-actually-an-orphan-as-it-turns-out and then had to learn hypnosis/hire a kidnapping aid to avoid that again.

The Dark Id posted:

It's been quite some time since I've mentioned clearly Malice.

That'd make a bit more sense with it being a ghost and coupled with a German letter and all.

The details are different by the result is the same.

I cannot say a character with a do-rag in an RPG and not think of Serge from Chrono Cross.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

I really, really wanna know what the hell this was in Japanese

So I looked up a Japanese LP and, near as I can tell, the line is just "Yuri". That's it, which makes it even more baffling in the English version. Best guess I have is someone screwed up on the script somewhere in the programming phase and put someone else's line there.

Incidentally, that pausing between sentences thing is also in the JP version of Halley's flashback story. It doesn't make it better, but at least it explains why the English version does it.

The Dark Id posted:

and 120-30ish for Halley since he's weak to Wind damage.

Should be Earth, I think.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Lot of ladies in this dungeon.
So is the special biding Bugg just a normal, if tanky, Bugg if you just use physical attacks?

The Dark Id posted:

Which seems to be somewhere on the cost of Norfolk County, England.

It's pretty hard to nice in a screenshot and I'm not wasting a gif on a shiny item

If you have to keep all for switches pressed, I dunno... get a rock from outside?

There is, however, occasional a special Bugg

in a group almost always in the back center.

Shadow Hearts, are feeling OK lately...?

5 basically works, as is, but would probably be better with "in a group that's almost"

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Between the six months of Bacon silence, Olga not kidnapping Alice in the Prague bathroom, and now Alice going off all by herself to a completely different country and the town her father got killed (and potentially coming back safe and sound) you'd almost think Bacon didn't want her anymore, if it weren't for him telling someone else to not kill her.

The Dark Id posted:

So the game's translation takes the most confusion poo poo here

If cannot guess, eventually Sharon and that arena are going to turn into Europe's version of the Pit Fights

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I suppose tere's also the question of why that guy took it out of the toilet. Was he scrambling for something to offer to Yuri or was he gonna keep that before his paper problems?

The Dark Id posted:

you should care you your pledge.

Hard to find a reference spot where someone picked the diamond option, should that be "what"?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Do you think Stolas and the other demons with knowledge to share just put it in your head, or do you get enrolled in Professor Stolas' herbology, astronomy, and mineralogy 201- precious stones courses with the rest of the demon summoners?

The Dark Id posted:

shall you find Albert and Koudelka. The will be there without fail.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Now I just kinda want to know when everyone involved in that died and how that all played out to reach that point. Was the doll always haunted, that sort of thing. It doesn't really matter, but now I wonder.
Also, I like how you half think Margarete is shooting a fireball cause of the rocket propelled part of the rocket launcher.

Episode LXVIII

The Dark Id posted:

In any event, the storeroom has a ladder connect to a wine cellar.

for reasons only known to Alice and her lack of understand of how film slides work

Lillith kindly spoke to me. Perhaps
this will easy my loneliness somewhat.

has just been transcribing a date we learned on minutes earlier

Episode LXIX

The Dark Id posted:

seems rather obsessed with having at least three buffs activate at all times.

While this is the three buffs it chose for this fight,

to slap them around with its from arm

only has one attack but it is a dozy.

I know just got The End

Let's just go get paid before it turns out the client skipped town or was a ghost the whole time.
Or they were a ghost the whole time and were actually the ones who hired us and were just doing suicide by exorcist.

Should be "active", "these are", "front", "doozy", "we just got" (or "I just got"), and the last one comes off kind of awkward using the same "was a ghost the whole time" wording essentially twice in a row. Maybe the second one could be "Or they were the bad ghost the whole time and hired us ...etc."

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Eesh, yeah, that's a visually interesting, but real rough-in-a-dull-way superboss. I kinda wonder how Alice feels about fighting these semi-significant facets of her religion. It's not like they had story pieces around them (so it's not like they change the context surrounding the Church), they're just there and you ran into them cause some books said "go this way".

The Dark Id posted:

We're also going to stick Alive with some Priest Earrings to reduce her MP usage

Dive Bomber is another 120 MP

Nothing scream spy like calling in a bombing run on your enemies

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Too bad they went with metorite. Coulda had the werewolf whap people with the moon, but you do what you will, game/translators.

The Dark Id posted:

Sharon evidently as a real drat grudge against Rausan

Again, this another five-minute fight because the guy is sporting 2500 HP

the final match is against Speckled and Happy Creepy. Happy Creeper (the skull and dong sporting one)

a trio of Meat Eaters, those ridiculously dogs with an arm growing out of their snouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I wonder if the crying ring makes noise or if it just....leaks.

Also, the tiny, slightly grumpy looking staff mask silhouette in the explosion amuses me.

The Dark Id posted:

It is a wee bit more involving than just grinding to beat a tough boss.

the first time I played through the game and attempting to get the good ending.

Probably should be "involved" and "attempted"