Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Let's check flower pots, shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mazed posted:

This is kind of bonkers.

I think I actually kind of like Yuri.

Yuri knows what he wants from life: punching evil in the face. If it doesn't work, transform and punch harder.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I read strong implications that this game is not Yuri's first adventure, so I'd expect even somebody not particularly bright like our protagonist to pick up some experience on how this kind of rodeo goes and how to recognize the warning signs. Although on the latter point his Mysterious VoiceTM is a bit of a cheat.

I don't know if expanded material expanded on this, but from his chat with the masks I can see a previous adventure, roughly with the same scope as Koudelka, where the masks are the main villains and he defeats them but without managing to fully exorcise them so the four assholes set up shop in his soul in revenge.

E: and while I like Disgaea it's way too different to be compared to Shadow Hearths and someone please bring an exorcist in the thread for the other comparison thanks.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 3, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Christ, I remembered Margarete, but I forgot she was Mata Hari.

I think it say a shitload about the series that Mata Hari joining the party is a forgettable detail.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Keep in mind that Yuri might not be drunk up to his eyes, but the state is equivalent. Even him would normally have the sense to shut up about his crush.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't tell me that they didn't take something from TDI's past LP's when making that game. There's just too many coincidences :tinfoil:.

Yoko Taro is aware of TDI and his Nier Gestalt/Replicant LP. For those not in the known, in an alcohol-fueled moment TDI contacted the Sith Lord because his LP advertised the first Nier better than the American branch of Square-Enix did.
:yokotaro: then named TDI "Nier's ambassador to the west" and asked for a postal address to send some cool Nier swag to.
(did I recall the events correctly?)

I fully agree with you: my :tinfoil: theory on Drakengard 3 is that Yoko Taro grabbed an intern and pointed said intern at the LP archive.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Basically, what Yuri tried to do and failed at? Fusing with the demon to control it? That was also Dehaui's plan, give or take a fusion since he's not an Harmonixer.

Because summon a demon in your enemies' home, you nuke them for a day.
Summon and control it in your house, you nuke them for the rest of your life.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

We go to the most vampire castle ever, find the master of the castle and he is the most stereotypical vampire ever...
and he's an alright dude, he's quite vexed at the random encounter infestation and checking on the trespassers while invisible is just common sense. Upon being informed that the village is under attack, he immediately agrees to help them out because helping your good neighbors is what you're supposed to do.
Drakengard Shadow Hearts.

The Valentine family is simply too good for this sinful world.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I had honestly forgotten that Yuri was squatting at the Valentines'. A friendly vampire hiring some exorcists to evict a monster from his castle is 100% Shadow Hearts.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Weeble posted:

I dunno about this Koudleka lady chums; she's sending them to Wales. WALES.

Not her fault an old man the party need to meet lives there.

Honest question do we need to keep pretending here? Koudelka basically spelled it out

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm fairly sure it was Symphonia that had a sidequest that unlocked the first step into the final boss' room and locked again upon triggering the cutscene the second step in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The villain in the first Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't a nihilist, right? Omnicidal, but not a nihilist.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Isn't that simply Trump-tier narcissism though? It's different from nihilism.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Persona 4 and 5 are a bit easier in that regard (I don't know about 3) since by the mid to late game you can fuse Yoshitsune, who comes with fantastic passive defenses and learns the best physical move in the game. With a lot of cajoling you can even stack further immunities to cover almost everything, but that's overkill.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And yet, almost required for the bonus superboss in 5.

Not really? I did that without particularly optimizing my Yoshi, it only took a couple Somas (full health and mana recovery) to restock midway. Attack and defense (de)buffs covereth a moltitude of sins.

E: unless you want to solo the bonus boss.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

And this is why Yuri is one of the best protagonists.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Picayune posted:

Oh, good. Two conjoined faces, three eyes, two mouths. It's the freakin' Watchers again.

gently caress that's how Accord is going to solve the Watcher problem. She'll find Shadow Hearts Earth, recruit Yuri and by the end of the year the Watchers will flee behind a dimensional seal or five to avoid the crazy punch man.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Do Koudelka and/or Halley and/or Edward get a cameo in From the New World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kavak posted:

Failing that:

-Punch Kaiser Franz Josef and his ministers in the face to convince them not to issue an ultimatum that would lead to war with Serbia and Russia.
-Punch the Tsar in the face to convince him his army's not in any state to challenge Germany.
-Punch Kaiser Wilhelm and the German General Staff in the face to convince them not to escalate the war. (Also works for Part 1)

In Tsarist Russia wouldn't you have to punch Rasputin too, for the sake of this argument?
Rasputin should also be punched on general principles, mind you.