Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Really Pants posted:

How many JRPG villain sympathy arcs aren't completely ham-fisted as all hell, anyway? The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are this game's sequel, Magus from Chrono Trigger, and Loewe from Trails in the Sky.

I always appropriated how Magus never really becomes friends with the rest of the cast. The others come to understand him better, and decide not to murder him, and they're even willing to team up with him to fight a bigger enemy, but he's not really a part of the group the way everyone else is because at the end of the day he's still a major rear end in a top hat who shows no interest in changing on a personal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The implication from Koudelka that the Judeo-Christian God is real in some form and at least somewhat benevolent (I mean, that God was willing to rapture the final boss and save the protagonists after James prayed hard enough and admitted that he had been acting like a douche) combined with the existence of a separate evil lovecraftian God in this game that Yuri is able to punch to death raises a lot of questions about the theology of the Shadow Hearts universe that are probably best left unanswered.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 14, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Accordion Man posted:

Meta-God is more of an Arthur C. Clarke style sufficiently advanced alien, its not actually Shadow Hearts God. Meta-God's bestiary entry pretty much states this.

I see, so what Yuri just punch murdered wasn't a creator deity, but rather a monster so powerful that from a human's perspective it may as well be a God and is often mistaken for one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwww, Alice is going to live a happy life with her new boyfriend and her mom. :unsmith: That's sweet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, the combat is real good, its just that the writing is weaker and it doesn't come together nearly as well as Covenant did.

From what I've seen it also suffer from being The Last one.

If there had been other Shadow Hearts to come after it people probably wouldn't be as resentful of it, but since it's The Last One everyone's always going to feel a little bitter that the franchise went out on such a weird note and also wonder "If it had been better, would we have gotten more games in this series? Better games that I would have actually liked?". This is the same way I feel about Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Geostomp posted:

Keith really should have been the Dark party member

If nothing else his little hums while attacking are so great :3:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, that was a bit of a bummer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NullBlack posted:

You just need to punch the right people.

If only Yuri could have been in the right place at the right time to punch away that bullet that shot archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Omobono posted:

In Tsarist Russia wouldn't you have to punch Rasputin too, for the sake of this argument?
Rasputin should also be punched on general principles, mind you.

Eh, the real Rasputin wasn't so bad. I mean he wasn't so great, but he wasn't so bad. He was just a two bit conman in the wrong place at the wrong time. He got lucky when he gave the Tsarina some decent medical advice about her hemophiliac son
(which was pretty much "stop having people poke at him so much and let him heal on his own") and she was so grateful she invited him to live at the palace and he was all 'Sweet! a chance to drink free royal vodka! I'm riding this scam straight to the top!'. He didn't really do much good, but honestly the rumors of the bad he did were greatly exaggerated. He kinda just lay around drinking, telling the tsarina to relax and chill out about her son, and having sex with anyone who offered until he got murdered.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kavak posted:

Right, and the ultimate decision lay with the Tsar. Both Germany and Austro-Hungary were partially autocratic but not on the scale of the Russian Empire.

Yeah, poor Nicholas II, he was just SO bad at his job at a time when Russia really could not afford to have a mediocre leader (especially a mediocre military leader).