Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm actually gonna try this whole hog. Like a month of no alcohol at all. I bet I lose 10lbs. Well after the 4th of july I'll start :)

Yeah, I like beer too much to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

I fully recommend eating whole hogs. Can't go wrong there.

And without a beer for the pig roast :(

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Controlling portion sizes is probably the number one thing you can do, outside of cutting out obvious calories like soda and juice.

Everyone talks about how unhealthy fast food is but a regular combo at most of them is better than that 2400 calorie plate that you get at a restaurant.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I am hungry but I am not going to eat. If I eat now, I would be eating with wrong intention. I would eating out of aversion to pain and appetite for pleasure.

I will not eat until, in my mind, I am eating for nourishment and out of necessity.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
There was some supplement that was banned in the 30s that would make you lose a lot of weight and broil your organs from the inside. It's making a comeback.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Accretionist posted:

I am hungry but I am not going to eat. If I eat now, I would be eating with wrong intention. I would eating out of aversion to pain and appetite for pleasure.

I will not eat until, in my mind, I am eating for nourishment and out of necessity.

If you feel hungry, try drinking water first. If it doesn't fill you up, have a healthy and small snack that fits in the palm of your hand. Then, if you're still hungry, eat a real meal. If you're not hungry when the next arbitrarily scheduled feeding time rolls around, skip it or delay until you're hungry again.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mordja posted:

I've been doing 16/8 fasting since the start of the year after hitting something of a roadblock on my last 10 or so pounds.

Count your calories, then eat less calories than that until you lose the weight

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The argument about few large meals vs many small meals through the day mainly depends on willpower not on underlying biology imo.

It takes time for your body to process and digest food, as long as you are getting enough calories on stable enough schedule you will be fine.

A lot of people are relying on food as a comfort thing which makes snacking a popular behavior. If you can avoid it, good. If not, just eat healthy snacks and have smaller meals

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh we are making serious suggestions?

Stick with mostly meat and plants, don't eat processed carbohydrates, and don't eat too much. Try to exercise now and then. You can employ any number of tricks, but you still have to watch your total calorie intake. Intermittent fasting for 16 hours per day seems to have benefits outside of weight loss.

And suck tons of dick. Testosterone in sperm will give you a boost.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
dont lose weight OP

GET BEEFY OP!!!

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Chinatown posted:

dont lose weight OP

GET BEEFY OP!!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Inept posted:

Count your calories, then eat less calories than that until you lose the weight

I did/am doing that, IF just made it easier to stick with. :shrug: Got down to and have been at my target for the last few months, too.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Like there is no doubt that being a strong shredded guy is the best but being a strong fat guy is so much better than being a weak skinny guy. GET BEEFY

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mordja posted:

I did/am doing that, IF just made it easier to stick with. :shrug: Got down to and have been at my target for the last few months, too.

whoops i thought it said you hit a roadblock after doing IF for a while

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I think it's cool that GBS is slowly replacing the other forums. Now we've got GBS dnd, ylls, pyf, games.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I think it's cool that GBS is slowly replacing the other forums. Now we've got GBS dnd, ylls, pyf, games.
Is this a new thing? Gbs has always been general and bullshit

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I turned 30 and my metabolism abandoned me. I just pray it doesn’t get worse and I turn into some marlon Brando-esque monstrosity when I’m older

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Also have GBS tcc. Lots of potheads and alcoholics and a whole thread of crackhead shoplifters.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
High carbs, high protein, high on weed.

Lift hard and heavy and high as gently caress.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i used to be 250 lb but I am now 170lb. my secret was just paying attention to what i ate and eatting less. just keep a rough estimate of how many calories you have consumed in the day in mind, and don't go over 1200. you will lose weight, no need to exercise or do any effort. I didn't even change my diet, I still ate burgers and nachos and chocolate almonds, I just had less of them.

I found it was best to restrict myself to two meals a day instead of 3. That way you are hungry when you eat and appreciate it more. you can also have normal sized portions with two meals rather than three meals of rice cakes and celery.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

in the long long ago sub forums were created when GBS had to many threads on a particular topic.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Go down to the local lake, river, stream, storm drain - whatever you got. Take a big drink. The giardia will drop weight in no time at all.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

i used to be 250 lb but I am now 170lb. my secret was just paying attention to what i ate and eatting less. just keep a rough estimate of how many calories you have consumed in the day in mind, and don't go over 1200. you will lose weight, no need to exercise or do any effort. I didn't even change my diet, I still ate burgers and nachos and chocolate almonds, I just had less of them.

I found it was best to restrict myself to two meals a day instead of 3. That way you are hungry when you eat and appreciate it more. you can also have normal sized portions with two meals rather than three meals of rice cakes and celery.

That eating twice a day is the exact opposite of what MY WIFE lost alot of weight on. I mean we all know everyones different so whatever. But she had this retarded diet/exercise program that she at like 8 palm sized meals a day, 6 days a week. Then on the seventh HOG WILD eat whatever. It was weird, but the intense exercise did it I think not the weird starve and binge approach.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rutibex posted:

congratulations on becoming a weak skinny bithc

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
How the hell do people count calories if they prepare their own meals? It seems like you could only accurately count calories if everything you eat is packaged and pre-proportioned.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

fishing with the fam posted:

How the hell do people count calories if they prepare their own meals? It seems like you could only accurately count calories if everything you eat is packaged and pre-proportioned.

holy poo poo I can't believe a functional adult (?) is actually asking this question

use a food scale and measuring cups/spoons, or just use the nutrition facts of the whole package and divide it by the number of meals you use it for and it will average out

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah there are programs that actually have recipes too, that have the poo poo counted already. You just make the stuff yourself. Weight Watchers premade poo poo is a ripppppoffff.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

A digital kitchen scale like diabetics use?

I think Weight Watchers tries to simplify it by assigning 'points' to food. Like 4 perogies are 8 points and you can have up to 20 points a day of whatever you want. And I think fruit is zero points.

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking

Yeah it’s scales all the way. Don’t use them to weigh yourself because you’re either a beast or not and you don’t need to stand on a scale to know that.

Weigh your food for real tho.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
really though if you want to diet just take ephedrine+caffeine, it's both thermogenic and an appetite suppressant so unless your natural hunger has you gaining weight extremely quickly, it will reduce your calorie balance enough to start losing weight

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

feelix posted:

holy poo poo I can't believe a functional adult (?) is actually asking this question

use a food scale and measuring cups/spoons, or just use the nutrition facts of the whole package and divide it by the number of meals you use it for and it will average out

I specified non-packaged foods friend.

Using a kitchen scale for every ingredient in a meal sounds like hell. But okay, that makes sense.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

That eating twice a day is the exact opposite of what MY WIFE lost alot of weight on. I mean we all know everyones different so whatever. But she had this retarded diet/exercise program that she at like 8 palm sized meals a day, 6 days a week. Then on the seventh HOG WILD eat whatever. It was weird, but the intense exercise did it I think not the weird starve and binge approach.

is your wife Dale Gribble?

I liked the two meals per day thing because I was hungry all the time. It made me feel like I was making progress if I was hungry.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I dropped from 225 to 160 after i quit drinking and started exercising. I went from never having done a chinup to doing eight in a row. I'm bulking now and consciously gaining weight is actually a bit of a hurdle to get over.

It can be done GBS. I'm 34. It's never too late.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 21, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Using a kitchen scale for every ingredient in a meal sounds like hell. But okay, that makes sense.

Even if it's "non-packaged" you still know how much it weighs 90% of the time, that's all you need.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Like, are you buying potatoes by the each that are of vastly different sizes or something?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

I mean you can measure everything each time you cook but that can get pretty tedious or you can just eyeball packages of stuff* and estimate how many meals you're getting out of them. I think the people who specifically count every calorie do it more to help them stick to the diet but if like you just make a hearty red sauce out of known ingredients and eat it over a 1 pound pack of pasta throughout the week it should be pretty easy to have a rough estimate of the calories per meal. Also if you're eating healthier stuff you can pretty much ignore the caloric contribution of your fruit and veg (I mean within reason, not like eating 5 pounds of raisins) and just track the heftier contributors.

*And i mean packages of actual food, like a bag of lentils, or a chicken, etc.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 21, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

is your wife Dale Gribble?

I liked the two meals per day thing because I was hungry all the time. It made me feel like I was making progress if I was hungry.

I don't know who that is, but she's Mrs. Burt Sexual. :smug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

just eyeball it. you can measure a meal once, then you know what that meal will be roughly every time you make it (so long as you keep your portions consistant). you dont have to be super precise, just keep a rough estimate in mind

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean you can measure everything each time you cook but that can get pretty tedious or you can just eyeball packages of stuff* and estimate how many meals you're getting out of them. I think the people who specifically count every calorie do it more to help them stick to the diet but if like you just make a hearty red sauce out of known ingredients and eat it over a 1 pound pack of pasta throughout the week it should be pretty easy to have a rough estimate of the calories per meal. Also if you're eating healthier stuff you can pretty much ignore the caloric contribution of your fruit and veg (I mean within reason, not like eating 5 pounds of raisins) and just track the heftier contributors.

*And i mean packages of actual food, like a bag of lentils, or a chicken, etc.

Yeah, I'm probably just overthinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rutibex posted:

just eyeball it. you can measure a meal once, then you know what that meal will be roughly every time you make it (so long as you keep your portions consistant). you dont have to be super precise, just keep a rough estimate in mind

This is GBS YLLS, not GBS TCC.