Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

never knew the frozen halfs did that stuff.

Also, as for why the lava is blue... maybe it isn't lava? Sort of cold with the snow flakes and random ice elementals hovering around.

Finally, ouch that was close.

e: update on previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's not Galamoth if you aren't desperately chucking meal tickets in a corner.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The one thing Walk Armor can't save you from :negative:

I've had my bat go after bad bats. But usually they are either already dead, or halfway to leaving the screen by the time any familiar would attack them. Just down to the fact that generally by the time you even notice enemy bats, you are already getting close enough for them to be flying at you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Ah, the one thing that can actually pose a threat if you're careless, even with the bullshit weapons.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The witches (called Salome in this game) are already dead by the time they turn into cats. They've given you their Exp and if they were going to drop anything, they would have. The cat form is just a final "gently caress you" to the player after finally getting by that shield enough to deplete their HP, and killing it does nothing except spare you from getting hit. As a further note, there actually is a "Cat" element in this game, and Salome is the only enemy to use attacks of this element. This is relevant in exactly one instance in the game.

Galamoth is one of the tougher bosses in the game, although I'd personally place him a step down from ol' Beelzebub. I wonder if Nat20 ever picked up the Beryl Circlet, though...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
He did not. He should have the cat item, though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Commander Keene posted:

Galamoth is one of the tougher bosses in the game, although I'd personally place him a step down from ol' Beelzebub. I wonder if Nat20 ever picked up the Beryl Circlet, though...
That's accessed via the "What, how the-WHAT?" moon logic spoiler, so I don't think it's in the cards.

Or they could be like me and do it entirely on accident and have to look it up on the internet for replays, but I think that ship has sailed.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Ahahahaha oh god Galamoth. This whole area's a bit of a difficulty spike in that things will actually do damage to you, but even then he's a bit of a shock. I died several times here also (it took me far too long to realise I should be using the mist form to dodge things, and even then I was bad at timing it). Honestly, that was a pretty good first showing really. You can do it.

The orb things definitely do a different element of damage, you can't mitigate everything here with Resist Thunder. I think they might be dark?

Also, congrats on finally noticing you had Nauglamir. You picked that up from one of the Cave Trolls several episodes ago.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I’m just thrilled that Nat 20 finally learned how to use the gravity boots.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Galamoth has like 12000 Hp. To compare Beelzebub had 2000 for the next largest amount of HP of the bosses you have fought.

Galamoth's head has 0 defense but good luck reaching it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think you can kill the Blood Skeletons in Curse of Darkness too, but that game is so deliberately dense with it's odds and ends, not to mention the sheer difficulty of some of it's design mechanics, good luck on doing it at all without aiming for it from the beginning.

I never even fought Galamoth, but after seeing how most VLPs on Youtube chump this guy while finally seeing someone struggle, now I understand why this guy is called the hardest boss in the game. Those other people I've seen wreck this guy clearly already have a planned setup in mind though, so I seriously wonder how the average person is expected to do it at all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

David Corbett posted:

I’m just thrilled that Nat 20 finally learned how to use the gravity boots.

Hell, same. It's been bothering me since he got the things.

Also the pro strat for dealing with the witches is actually Tetra Spirit. Two casts should usually be enough to kill one :eng101:

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

mooty dollars :3
Nap Ghost
dudes what about SOULSTEAL

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 37 - Cooking with Gas

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bat is helping :buddy:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only strategy I read from a gaming magazine to kill Beelzebub back in the day was the gas cloud, and considering this was before I had the internet, it was viable as far as I was concerned. I didn't know what you had to go through to get it at the time though, so gently caress whoever wrote that. If you can beat Galamoth, poo poo, you're good for anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shitenshi posted:

The only strategy I read from a gaming magazine to kill Beelzebub back in the day was the gas cloud, and considering this was before I had the internet, it was viable as far as I was concerned. I didn't know what you had to go through to get it at the time though, so gently caress whoever wrote that. If you can beat Galamoth, poo poo, you're good for anything.

So many tips for all sorts of games are like this. "You're having trouble THERE? That part's easy with [op gear I grinded ten hours to get this early]."

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The big ball attack Galamoth uses isn't lightning, by the way. It's dark, IIRC. So the Dark Armor is necessary to completely chump him. With that and the Beryl Circlet, you can only take contact damage from Galamoth, and you heal whenever he uses a lightning attack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

The big ball attack Galamoth uses isn't lightning, by the way. It's dark, IIRC. So the Dark Armor is necessary to completely chump him. With that and the Beryl Circlet, you can only take contact damage from Galamoth, and you heal whenever he uses a lightning attack.

Actually the Ball attack is stated as being Hit damage, whatever that is.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Section Z posted:

Bat is helping :buddy:

:buddy:

She is the best bat and was trying her hardest.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

:buddy:

She is the best bat and was trying her hardest.
Plus In this case, you can honestly say "My Bat did over 100 damage to the hardest boss in the game!"

I've done my time with all the Familiars, each ground up to their cool toys. But I keep coming back to Bat.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 16, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 38 - We Have the Bat to Thank

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, the video encoding does NOT like that final fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Man, the video encoding does NOT like that final fight.

No it really doesn't.

Which is annoying as hell but probably not worth redoing with an entirely different encoder I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

No it really doesn't.

Which is annoying as hell but probably not worth redoing with an entirely different encoder I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Between the motion, the flashing, and that rotating fire background I'm not sure there's any encoding that would handle it well. Even if you found something that somehow managed to avoid massive filesizes, Youtube would probably botch it.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Are you planning on doing a postscript where Tea spills the beans on some of the absolutely broken poo poo you've passed over?
Because you should. :shobon:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Here lies Dracula. He died of embarrassment.

The only thing that could have been better, would be learning Wing Crash at the last second.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Aw man, I'm sad Nat20 had no apparent reaction to SAX LOVE BALLAD OUT OF NOWHERE during the credits.

It's a nice song, but not exactly the best fit for the game.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ayndin posted:

Aw man, I'm sad Nat20 had no apparent reaction to SAX LOVE BALLAD OUT OF NOWHERE during the credits.

It's a nice song, but not exactly the best fit for the game.

Same, I was waiting with baited breath to have him crack up mid eulogy.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

FeyerbrandX posted:

Same, I was waiting with baited breath to have him crack up mid eulogy.

Me too. That song is... weird. What were they thinking?

Looks like you got the second-best ending. If you pass a certain threshold of map completion, I'm seeing sources say 200%, the dialogue changes and Maria does chase after Alucard.

This has been a fun journey and I'm glad I was able to experience the game along with you guys. Have you decided what you'll be doing next?

Edit: I thought 200% sounded wrong, I didn't look that hard. Mid-190s is probably right.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 18, 2018

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Explopyro posted:

Me too. That song is... weird. What were they thinking?

Looks like you got the second-best ending. If you pass a certain threshold of map completion, I'm seeing sources say 200%, the dialogue changes and Maria does chase after Alucard.

This has been a fun journey and I'm glad I was able to experience the game along with you guys. Have you decided what you'll be doing next?

I'm pretty sure it's closer to 190%. I'm at 196 in my playthrough a few days ago and I got the good ending. 200.6% is perfect
Edit:
Also, re: the "best ending," what exactly is Maria's plan? Change the mind of the 400 year old monster who is dead set on staying out of history's way? What kind of ego does she have to think she's even on his radar?

Royal W fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 18, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

so, Tea, were you aiming for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" or more like Boris Karloff when he hosted that anthology series Thriller? Both rule, imo; just wondering

("Count Floyd from SCTV" is also a valid answer :v: )

also, why on earth would you apologize for Dracula's VA hamming it up when he's just being true to the source material for this series

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Being all melodramatic and fake-dying while playing with his kid. Dadcula.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Royal W posted:

Are you planning on doing a postscript where Tea spills the beans on some of the absolutely broken poo poo you've passed over?
Because you should. :shobon:

As might have been hinted by the video, we're looking at Richter mode in the finale.

And as you might have guessed from that, I'm lifting the spoiler policy since I finished the game a few weeks ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

And as you might have guessed from that, I'm lifting the spoiler policy since I finished the game a few weeks ago.

Well then to start it off, the familiar you missed in Olrox's quarters is the Sword Familiar. Flies around slashing things, at level 50 it turns into an equippable weapon, and gives access to a Sword Brothers spell which is a full-screen attack (but I've never had the thumb skill to manage it. Down, half-circle to up(hold), down+attack). And it yells out "slash" and such while attacking.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite weapon is the Sword of Dawn. It's not that strong, but its special ability is to summon from a pool of certain skeletal minions that attack things in front of you. They're also not that great, but it's just cool so I like it.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

So, you were a bit off in your estimation of how to deal with the water. You don't drain the water anywhere, although I can see where you would come to this conclusion after that one room with the rising water - the solution is to empower Alucard to move through water unharmed. If you had explored the Underground Caverns just a little more, you would have found a second ferry that would carry you to where you could find a relic that would negate Alucard's severe contact allergy to dihydrogen monoxide.

Being that this allergy is a result of his unholy vampiric heritage, it probably comes as no great surprise that this relic is called a Holy Symbol. Makes sense. So, you know, this is 18th-century Romania, what does this holy symbol look like?

It looks like this.

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

mooty dollars :3
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ1G87oJek fairy familiar easter egg (apparently not in all sotn versions)

well since the policy of spoilers is off id like to mention some things :words: which im sure alot of the guys here also do know or not :

count this mass of text below spoilers if you still want to discover it yourself i suppose

-----spoilery mass of text incoming-------

*the way to use alucard sheild is once you activate it, you then hold the shield out and walk into enemies. its overpowered.

* the down, then up jump command for that roof hitting jump can be done in the air so you can chain multiple super jumps.
richter can of course also do this among his other commands.

*spells are pretty decent really, especially tetra spirit and soul steal. soul steals command is ←→↘↓↙←→ + attack, it will damage onscreen enemies and give you health.

*kind of a glitch type thing but you can cancel your back dash by pressing block with shield making you backdash very quickly.

*theres a charge attack with the bat! hold [JUMP] + ↑↖←↙↓↘→, release [JUMP]

*when you do the teleport into fireball move with alucard if you hold up during it, it will fire black orbs instead of the fireballs

*the iron sheild from the shopkeeper in the library is really good with shield rod,especially considering how early you can get it, its kinda like moon rod like with a screen filling special attack.

*with the super jump move you can keep super jumping underneath the shop keeper to get items kinda like how mario jumps under the block for coins. (some other goon pls explain it in better detail than this pls)

but yea theres alot of stuff in the game im just covering some of it

Mr Cow fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 18, 2018

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The thing that you missed that bugged me the most was the Holy Sword. It's in that breakable ceiling in the Colosseum , and it's a very strong weapon, since so many things are weak to holy, especially in the second castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mr Cow posted:

*when you do the teleport into fireball move with alucard if you hold up during it, it will fire black orbs instead of the fireballs
And you can hold down to cancel the fireballs and just teleport. Not sure if it has any actual use, but the option is there.

• Locked thread