Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Whammiewazzle posted:

In regards to guns in Castlevania games, i don't know about this game, but Aria of Sorrow has 2 handguns and a laser rifle.
Aria of Sorrow is set in 2200 or something like that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Circle of the Moon had a gun sorta. If you used the weapon card with the dark element card you'd get a gun... which took ages to shoot, and also did dark element damage meaning enemies were likely to resist it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

PMush Perfect posted:

Aria of Sorrow is set in 2200 or something like that, though.

2035, but close enough.

I was going to mention the gun in Circle of the Moon, but that thing was so unwieldy to use and underwhelming that it's more of a novelty than anything else. Of course, Castlevania games always have lots of things like that (this LP is already reminding me just how many of those are in this game, it's fantastic), I love how much effort they put into things that are totally unnecessary just because they can.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omnicrom posted:

One of the characters in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness used a Gun. His was a non-standard and somewhat stupid game mode, but he shot the crap out of things.

The 64 games were bad but entirely for "early 3D platformer" reasons, it's a shame the rest of it was a casualty. Warring werewolves, a child survivor of a vampire attack showing up 20 years later in full plate and a gun to rescue other kids, skeletons on motorbikes with machinegun-equipped sidecars (even if apocryphal for 1850), it was wonderful.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think SotN does it best. I can think of multiple weapons I'd happily land the final blow on the final boss with. Meanwhile, while the Sorrows are my favorite just for their central mechanic, I pretty much always ended playthroughs with the same weapon that was super-broken in Aria, and wasn't toned down enough in Dawn.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Circle of the Moon had a gun sorta. If you used the weapon card with the dark element card you'd get a gun... which took ages to shoot, and also did dark element damage meaning enemies were likely to resist it.

The Dark Element card in general spat out weird gimmicky stuff that often wasn't very useful in CotM, and in a game where they clearly struggled to reach 100 DSS effects that's saying something. Black Dog gave you stuff like a mediocre shield that hurt you or a hyper garbage summon or Skeleton mode which wasn't actually junk but was janky as all get out. Immunity to Darkness damage was nice at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Explopyro posted:

2035, but close enough.
The Future.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

The Dark Element card in general spat out weird gimmicky stuff that often wasn't very useful in CotM, and in a game where they clearly struggled to reach 100 DSS effects that's saying something. Black Dog gave you stuff like a mediocre shield that hurt you or a hyper garbage summon or Skeleton mode which wasn't actually junk but was janky as all get out. Immunity to Darkness damage was nice at least.

IIRC the dark shield that hurt you had the unintended use that if you got poisoned you could activate it and immediately deactivate it to get rid of the poison because that's how they shortcut it into not needing to code multiple DoT effects.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Didn't you have to get a lucky drop from a super enemy in the super colosseum to even get Black Dog to begin with (or play mage)?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ItBreathes posted:

Didn't you have to get a lucky drop from a super enemy in the super colosseum to even get Black Dog to begin with (or play mage)?

Yep. Black Dog was one of the worst (due to the insane difficulty of the area you had to go), but most of the spell cards were a pain to get in that game. I spent three hours trying to get one of them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Probably, but the randomness was so bad I'm pretty sure it took me longer to grind for the lightning card than it did for whatever card(s?) you get from the challenge arena. And hey, completing the arena netted you the legendary Shinning [sic] Armor!

Man that card system was bad... Good thing SotN doesn't have that. Also you can see what's going on because you're not stuck with the terrible GBA screen.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The card system was fine. Gaining so many of the cards via a sub <1% drop rate from random enemies was the problem.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Also you can see what's going on because you're not stuck with the terrible GBA screen.

This was 100% the worst part of CotM if you were playing it on the original GBA (I think the SP's backlight made it tolerable). I remember one later-game boss fired dark purple projectiles on a black background, and they were so difficult to see that I eventually got so tired of getting murdered by them that I just used some sort of shield magic to ignore them.

SotN has way, way more effective visual design, as you'd expect from it not being a launch title on the GBA. Making it just a little obvious that a wall might be breakable, for example! I hope on the next run through he realizes that hitting the wall gears does something, I remember the reward for getting in that room being decent.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gnoman posted:

The card system was fine. Gaining so many of the cards via a sub <1% drop rate from random enemies was the problem.

Another problem with the card system like I said is that they had to spit out 100 different effects and you can tell some were just phoned in. For instance the entire Saturn line of familiars were kind of just there, the Diana whip projectiles are just way too expensive except maybe in Wizard mode, and the Apollo mini-summons are just worse than actual summons. And of course a lot of the various effects kind of sucked when they were the one and only DSS effect you could turn on. I mean, you could spend MP instead of hearts or gain XP by walking, but if you do any of those you can't just grab the Rose Sword and go hack and slash. There were a handful of generally all-around good effects, and there are some real nice situational pinch-hitters (Read: anything to do with the Neptune card), but even then the Restricted equip slots are super painful as they are in any portable Castlevania game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 08 - There's no save point!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't know why they called Malphas, Karasuman here. He is called Malphas in all other games translations.

For trivia Malphas here is one of the 72 Goetia Demons who takes the form of a humanoid Crow. Castlevania likes to use Geotia demons once in a while. (His spiritual successor Bloodstained appears to be using Goetia Demons for almost all of it's bosses and enemies.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know why they called Malphas, Karasuman here. He is called Malphas in all other games translations.

For trivia Malphas here is one of the 72 Goetia Demons who takes the form of a humanoid Crow. Castlevania likes to use Geotia demons once in a while. (His spiritual successor Bloodstained appears to be using Goetia Demons for almost all of it's bosses and enemies.)

I think Karasu might mean crow or crow demon? Sounds familiar (outside this game) anyhow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think Karasu might mean crow or crow demon? Sounds familiar (outside this game) anyhow.
I think you're right, which may mean this is a case of the devs not localizing a name. Hell, was the Goetia convention even established at the time?

Also, it wouldn't be the last time Konami used a bunch of awkward translations in a Castlevania game. As much as I like Aria of Sorrow, the bestiary was a goddamn mess of mistranslations (Curly for the Hindu goddess Kali, Alura Une for the Alraune, etc.).

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
What did the Medusa head say while dying to the sacred ashes?
Help, I'm being a-salted!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Well that was a waste of time. Tea, you're a huge rear end in a top hat for telling Nat20 to go to the Clock Tower.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pierzak posted:

Well that was a waste of time. Tea, you're a huge rear end in a top hat for telling Nat20 to go to the Clock Tower.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or you missed that the place where he said "don't drop down!" leads to the part he couldn't jump high enough to get up. If you fall now before getting a warp point, you have to go all the way back around.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pierzak posted:

If you recall the video before this, Tea was trying to push Nat20 into going to the BOTTOM of the Outer Wall or the library.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've played this game a dozen times and I keep forgetting you can't land on that water spout :shobon: Also, a save state next to the save point is hardly worth beating yourself up over. Oh no, you skipped the loading screen.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Karasu means "Crow", so yes Karasuman is "Crowman".

In every other iteration of Castlevania that boss is named Malphas.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or you missed that the place where he said "don't drop down!" leads to the part he couldn't jump high enough to get up. If you fall now before getting a warp point, you have to go all the way back around.
At that moment I actually wanted him to drop, give up on this whole location, and go into pretty much any other unexplored part of the map, and come back later with higher level and better equipment. Clock Tower is poo poo and watching someone bumble through it ceased being entertaining after the second time.

AceOfFlames posted:

If you recall the video before this, Tea was trying to push Nat20 into going to the BOTTOM of the Outer Wall or the library.
Oh? I could swear I remember him telling Nat20 to go the top route, at which I immediately reacted "YOU SADISTIC MOTHERFUCKER!!!". Unless he meant the save point in the top part, but I guess you have to be clearer when giving advice to someone with a visceral hate of savepoints :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Commander Keene posted:

I think you're right, which may mean this is a case of the devs not localizing a name. Hell, was the Goetia convention even established at the time?

Also, it wouldn't be the last time Konami used a bunch of awkward translations in a Castlevania game. As much as I like Aria of Sorrow, the bestiary was a goddamn mess of mistranslations (Curly for the Hindu goddess Kali, Alura Une for the Alraune, etc.).

He was Malphas in Japanese. So Karasuman was purely on translation team changing his name to a more Japanese one for some reason.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
In Castlevania in general the clock tower takes in scrubs and spits out crusty old veterans, so going there was totally the right choice. Nat20 even figured out how to chump crow dude almost immediately, so it's clearly working.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Nat20 even figured out how to chump crow dude almost immediately, so it's clearly working.

I would have went to Britain personally to take Natural20's gamer card if he didn't. Since "How to chump crow dude" is just hit him and keep hitting him. It isn't like a trick like "use metal blades against metal man" "or throw the assassins dagger at the minotaur in FFV" level of obtuse coding.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So far almost everything has been weak to being smacked in the shins and/or knees constantly. Crow dude was just following the pattern.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 09 - Who's That Pokemon?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shields provide a passive defense bonus even when you're not holding them up, and when held will block many projectiles. They won't block normal melee attacks and some larger projectiles, though, and their blocking is limited to their own hitbox, so things can go above or below the shield and still hit you. That said, I usually have a weapon in each hand for adventuring sections, and switch to a shield in one hand for enemies with projectiles and/or hard-hitting bosses.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Not quite related to the LP, but pour one out for Nat20, who just got reminded that yes, his national football team does still suck.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Shields provide a passive defense bonus even when you're not holding them up, and when held will block many projectiles. They won't block normal melee attacks and some larger projectiles, though, and their blocking is limited to their own hitbox, so things can go above or below the shield and still hit you. That said, I usually have a weapon in each hand for adventuring sections, and switch to a shield in one hand for enemies with projectiles and/or hard-hitting bosses.

Of course, the same person insisting that shields are worthless is also claiming that most of the subweapons are useless, which is just as wrong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gnoman posted:

Of course, the same person insisting that shields are worthless is also claiming that most of the subweapons are useless, which is just as wrong.
I don't use either all that much, so I can see where Tea gets the idea, but when you need them, you need them.

Also, it wouldn't be a "proper" blind LP if the guide didn't screw up on occasion.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

About why you needed to load another area in Prime. It was because in the original and NTSC release there was a scannable object in the landing site that you would target and do the strafing jump glitch to get to the ledge. The exploit was found before the PAL release, so they got rid of that object. So you needed to find the next closest one.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
As an aside--is there any way for me to play this game without digging up my PS1 or XBox 360 in TYOOL 2018?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sheen Sheen posted:

As an aside--is there any way for me to play this game without digging up my PS1 or XBox 360 in TYOOL 2018?
Do you have a PS3? I've put my old disc into that recently.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Section Z posted:

Do you have a PS3? I've put my old disc into that recently.

Unfortunately no, just a PS4 :( I'm pretty sure I can't download it off PSN for PS4

I know it will never happen, but this is like the perfect game to release for Switch

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Let me yell out secrets in the thread YOU ARE MISSING SO MANY SECRETS AND IT HURTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UnSmith posted:

Let me yell out secrets in the thread YOU ARE MISSING SO MANY SECRETS AND IT HURTS
How about something that isn't a secret? Reminding them that the 30,000 cape they saw the librarian selling lists the effect of a color edit menu :buddy:

Even when I get the strongest capes in the game later, I'm still using that thing for the stupid gimmick.

• Locked thread