Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Mario Tennis Aces, the seventh game in the series, releases worldwide today, June 22nd! This thread is meant to provide information and house discussions about the game.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About the Game (Official Nintendo Description):

Unleash an arsenal of shots and strategies in all-out tennis battles with friends, family, and fan-favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters. Whether you play locally, online, or using simple motion controls, intense rallies await! In Adventure mode, experience a new favor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions, boss battles and more.

Complete missions and boss battles in Adventure mode while mastering the controls. Test your hard-earned skills in singles or doubles with up to 4 players in local or online multiplayer, not to mention Tournament Mode, which lets you challenge the CPU. Store up energy and use it to pull off amazing feats: move so fast the world slows down around you or aim in first-person to send the ball crashing down! Your rivals may attempt to block you, but if they fail, their racket will take damage—and break after three hits. Fully charge your energy to launch the ball with enough force to KO your opponent!

- Rally against other players in singles or doubles as one of 15+ Mushroom Kingdom characters
- Serve up everything from basic shots to trick shots to split-second blocks
- Use energy to leap after the ball, slow down time, aim in first-person, break rackets, and KO opponents!
- Play locally, online or swing your Joy-Con™ controller like a real racket in Swing Mode
- Take on CPU opponents in the Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, or Star Cup in Tournament Mode
- Adventure mode offers a new flavor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions, boss battles and more.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Playable Characters:

Mario Tennis Aces features a bunch of familiar Mario characters that we know and love. The game doesn’t feature the biggest selection of characters that we’ve seen in a Mario Tennis game (which, as of launch, sits at 16), but there is still plenty of variety in the current roster. A few new faces have shown up, too.

Mario Tennis Aces features six different character types: all-round, technical, speedy, powerful, defensive, and tricky.

All-Round characters:

As the title suggests, these characters are adept at everything in Mario Tennis Aces, from serving and zone shots, to technical shots and blocking opponent’s shots.

- Mario
- Luigi
- Daisy

Technical characters:

The technical characters are an interesting bunch. They generally have a higher success rate of trick shots, and they’re also typically better at placing charged shots like zone and special shots

- Peach
- Toadette

Speedy characters:

As the name of this category points to, these speedy characters can zip from one side of the court to the other in the blink of an eye, basically doubling up as a form of defensive character in their ability to stop any shots getting past them.

- Toad
- Yoshi

Powerful characters:

The powerful characters like Bowser and Donkey Kong focus on pure hitting power, able to send normal shots, as well as zone shots, over to the other side of the court incredibly quickly.

- Wario
- Bowser
- Donkey Kong
- Spike
- Chain Chomp

Defensive characters:

These types of characters mainly focus on being able to repel opponent’s special and zone shots, and they also have a slight bonus for trick shots, letting them cover more ground quickly to send shots flying back.

- Waluigi
- Bowser Jr.

Tricky characters:

There’s definitely a learning curve involved with the tricky characters, but once you’ve eventually mastered them, they’re able to pull off incredibly powerful shots, and they also have an increased trick shot success rate.

- Rosalina
- Boo

There are also five playable characters that are planned to be released post-launch. Firstly, there is the speedy character Koopa Troopa. Koopa Troopa will be obtainable by participating in the July 2018 tournament. Those who miss out will be able to grab the character any time after August 1, 2018. Similarly, the tricky character Blooper (who will be making its Mario Tennis debut) can be acquired by participating in the August 2018 tournament, after which, it will be available to everyone from September 1, 2018.

Nintendo has revealed three more characters that will join the roster post-launch, but Nintendo hasn’t yet specified how we will get our hands on the characters or what types they will be. The characters are Diddy Kong, Birdo, and Paratroopa.

Review Roundup:

Polygon --

"Fans of those retro handheld titles were reluctantly hopeful when Nintendo announced earlier this year that Mario Tennis Aces would include a story mode. More recent gameplay footage showed Mario traversing a large overworld, fighting bosses and increasing stats, further stoking expectations.

The game looks like a sports RPG, but it helps to forget all the marketing: Mario Tennis Aces is its own thing...

It sort of feels like tennis, and it sort of feels like a fighting game, but really, Mario Tennis Aces feels mostly like something entirely new, like a weird indie multiplayer game inspired by sports (think Sportsfriends) that somehow secured the budget of a full Nintendo project." -- Chris Plante

[Full Review: https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/20/17476846/mario-tennis-aces-review-nintendo-switch]

GamesRadar -- 4/5
"At the end of the day, Adventure Mode is only going to take you so far, and, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch, it's really all about multiplayer. You can opt in for online or local multiplayer, or just pass a Joy-Con to your pal for instant split-screen, which is really where the game shines brightest - and I'm not just talking graphically, although this game is an absolute stunner. This is a game built for battling against your friends, which might seem like a weird turn of phrase for a tennis game, but absolutely works for Mario Tennis Aces." -- Sam Loveridge

[Full Review: https://www.gamesradar.com/mario-tennis-aces-review/]

IGN -- 7.5/10
"Mario Tennis Aces is an extremely fun arcade tennis experience, colourful and dazzling to look at and smartly balanced in its back-and-forth play. With a little bit more care and depth given to the simple single-player mode and more variety added in the way of character and tournament customisation to give its multiplayer extra spice, Mario Tennis Aces could have been a true all-rounder. As it is, Mario Tennis Aces is still a lot of frantic tennis fun with friends." -- Tristan Ogilvie

[Full Review: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/20/mario-tennis-aces-review]

Nintendo Life -- 8/10
"We're used to seeing Wii U games transfer to Switch, but for Ultra Smash to have moved across without a substantial makeover would have been disastrous. Aces, wonderfully, is anything but that--it's a superb arcade sports game that's generous with its suite of player options and only occasionally guilty of being a little cheap in its Adventure Mode. The presentation is spot on, and the core tennis action is absorbing whether you're trading simple strokes or firing off special shots. Some animations and voice overs are identical to Ultra Smash's, but everything around them has been overhauled to quite splendid heights. This is something of a Switch Port Plus, then--not quite a whole new experience, but so improved as to be near unrecognisable next to its preceding title." -- Mike Diver

[Full review: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/mario_tennis_aces]

So, who's excited for the game? Leave your impressions here! I'll be picking up my copy after work today :)

https://twitter.com/EdbotnikThe/status/1008836698686533640

https://twitter.com/MannyFaberino/status/1008427329440235520

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Mario Tennis Aces isn't a tennis game, it's a fighting game, and it's a drat good one.

Is there a more detailed breakdown on the characters? I know there's differences between Chain Chomp and Spike, for example, but it's not really stated anywhere in game.

Also a fully charged drop shot is one of the most disgusting thing you can do to another human being, especially if it hits the top of the net.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

Mario Tennis Aces isn't a tennis game, it's a fighting game, and it's a drat good one.

I love this aspect, personally. I've been searching online for a more detailed breakdown on each character, but I haven't found one yet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Does anybody know if control types can be mixed in multiplayer? Or do I have to use Swing Mode to have motion controls? My girlfriend has carpal tunnel, so motion controls are better for her, but I prefer to use my Pro Controller if I can.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

It's strange to me how many powerful characters there are in comparison to every single other type of character

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

It's strange to me how many powerful characters there are in comparison to every single other type of character

I have a feeling the DLC characters will help balance that out

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I don't know why I'm asking for character breakdowns because Spike is the best boy.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

I don't know why I'm asking for character breakdowns because Chain Chomp is the best boy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boo Rally is only intermediate

God I can't wait to see what they consider expert

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait to play this when UPS gets here at 5PM.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm really bad at this game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gave up on Boo

His AI is just loving way overtuned imo. He gets a million star shots and his ball literally zigzags the entire goddamn court. He's somehow even worse than rosalina gently caress off ghost

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't play until I get home from work, so I ask:

What kind of online multiplayer game options are there? Singles and doubles, tournament, etc? Can you change match length, court type etc? Anything else?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Another thread title robbed of "The T.E.N.N.I.S. System"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

creationist believer posted:

Another thread title robbed of "The T.E.N.N.I.S. System"

Video Games Plz

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

I can't play until I get home from work, so I ask:

What kind of online multiplayer game options are there? Singles and doubles, tournament, etc? Can you change match length, court type etc? Anything else?

Tournament is timed to periods of half a month or so at a time and you unlock goodies by doing it. It's a glorified matchmaking system to be honest.
Online you can fill a room with up to 4 friends, 4 randos or any combination of them in singles or doubles.

*You cannot pick which stage you want to play on, kind of. You get a list and you can select which courts you want to show up in rotation and if you want hazards so if you want to play marina stadium only for example you have to turn everything else off first.
*I heard that online with randoms is just tie breaker games but I swear I saw a option for normal games. Can't confirm either way.
*You can play Simple (No Zone stuff or special shots) and change settings like giving you infinite rackets and stuff. Swing Mode is offline only
*You and a friend can do doubles online couch co-op

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So the online multiplayer is tie-breakers only? You can't play a bunch of games or a bunch of sets? That's terrible.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm aching to get back to a more simple, easy game like Dark Souls

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

So the online multiplayer is tie-breakers only? You can't play a bunch of games or a bunch of sets? That's terrible.

From what I see you can do sets with people. You stay in the same room after a round. It's just you can't set it to keep going and just have to re-ready up

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

From what I see you can do sets with people. You stay in the same room after a round. It's just you can't set it to keep going and just have to re-ready up

That's not dissimilar to how Mario Kart works. It always goes back out to that "everybody votes on a track" room between races. You can't just have like an online infinite playlist.

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

So, the single player campaign is not a selling point, what about single player tournaments? Do these exist? Like MK8?

Or is it either single player campaign or multiplayer only?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CascadeBeta posted:

Also a fully charged drop shot is one of the most disgusting thing you can do to another human being, especially if it hits the top of the net.

To which I reply "suck it" as I aim for dropshots as Bowser.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I'm watching some online play right now as I can't check and I see normal 15 - 30 - 40 rounds, not just tie breaker.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Playing 5 tie breakers over and over is not the same as playing, you know, an actual tennis match in the structure that tennis is supposed to be played in. It would be like having a golf game where you can play online multiplayer but you can only play 2 holes and have to exit and reload a new game to play another 2 more, 9 separate times. How do they not just have a simple menu that lets you choose how many sets you want to play, with X amount of games per set? (Like every tennis game ever to exist)

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me with it's "Amazing game missing 1 basic feature that has existed for 20 years" shtick.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

Playing 5 tie breakers over and over is not the same as playing, you know, an actual tennis match in the structure that tennis is supposed to be played in. It would be like having a golf game where you can play online multiplayer but you can only play 2 holes and have to exit and reload a new game to play another 2 more, 9 separate times. How do they not just have a simple menu that lets you choose how many sets you want to play, with X amount of games per set? (Like every tennis game ever to exist)

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me with it's "Amazing game missing 1 basic feature that has existed for 20 years" shtick.

I was wrong. You can do normal rear end matches. Watching a couple friends play normal matches with each other, not just tie breakers.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was wrong. You can do normal rear end matches. Watching a couple friends play normal matches with each other, not just tie breakers.

This is great news

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My copy arrived at work and now I gotta sit here and pretend I don't wanna just be sitting at home on a Friday night playing Mario Tennis.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
if luigi wasn't such capitalist scum, we wouldnt be able to have Mario Tennis: Infinity Wars

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes! Thank you for confirming this. That is great to hear.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Who else is going to get drunk/stoned and play the hell out of this tonight?

I know I am

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Drunk and this? Hell yeah, love this game. Let Ultra Smash fade into distant memory.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the way good players play this is so different from the way I'd instinctively play it haha

I got my rear end beat by some dude who did trick shots on every point, but like he'd wait for the ball to go behind him and do a trick shot backwards or something

And I thought ok he's really far back I can just do drop shots but he was able to get back up to them with, you guessed it, trick shots lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I gave up on Boo

His AI is just loving way overtuned imo. He gets a million star shots and his ball literally zigzags the entire goddamn court. He's somehow even worse than rosalina gently caress off ghost

Remember to use Zone Speed to chase down balls and also time blocks. I ended up hoarding meter so I could use Special Shot as a bailout.

Still took me about a dozen tries. Just like a Dark Souls boss

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I absolutely loved Mario Tennis on the 64 and played the poo poo out of it. Will I like this game?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boo Rally is only intermediate

God I can't wait to see what they consider expert

It took my wife and me like more than an hour to beat that one taking turns so don't feel bad lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I absolutely loved Mario Tennis on the 64 and played the poo poo out of it. Will I like this game?

I was interested in this strictly because I love Mario Tennis 64. I've only played the demo (will play the full game as soon as I'm off work today), but that was enough to sell me on it. I think it's safe to say if you liked Mario Tennis 64 you will like this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's Mario Tennis and it's awesome. The new anime moves are all really neat and help mix things up.

A lot of people and game journalists were sad that it's not an RPG like the Game Boy Color game but if you just want Mario Tennis then you got it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
THIS 400 HIT RALLY THING AGAINST KAMEK WITH THE FUCKIN SHIP MAST

IS THE WORST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Stefan Prodan posted:

THIS 400 HIT RALLY THING AGAINST KAMEK WITH THE FUCKIN SHIP MAST

IS THE WORST

I like to take this moment to say gently caress you to whomever thought of this challenge and the stupid stage concept. The mast is literally one of the most loving annoying things to deal with and trying to rally with a tricky character like Kamek is hard enough as is.