Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so mad that story has all these cool characters and we have to wait *months* to use them.

I want shy guy so badly ;_;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How is Koopa Trooper not a base character? For shame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

He's the first reward but it's still weird that series mainstays like Koopa/Paratroopa/Shy Guy are all gated behind time locks. Knowing I can't play as one of my favorite mario enemies till *next year* has me seriously bummed.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Where's Pauline

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

I like to take this moment to say gently caress you to whomever thought of this challenge and the stupid stage concept. The mast is literally one of the most loving annoying things to deal with and trying to rally with a tricky character like Kamek is hard enough as is.

WE DID IT

gently caress YOU KAMEK

I'M NEVER GOING ON A BOAT NOW

I HAVE MAST RELATED PTSD

(took us like 2 hours to beat probably lol)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Stefan Prodan posted:

WE DID IT

gently caress YOU KAMEK

I'M NEVER GOING ON A BOAT NOW

I HAVE MAST RELATED PTSD

(took us like 2 hours to beat probably lol)

I FINALLY DID IT.

AFTER TWO loving HOURS.

IF YOU THIUGHT BOO WAS BAD, KAMEK IS 100 TIMES WORSE.

gently caress KAMEK. gently caress THE BOAT STAGE. gently caress IT ALL!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
What's criminal is that we have to wait until after September for Diddy Kang

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Less single player chat and more multiplayer chat please.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm really enjoying the game but I'm having trouble grasping what the point of all the different shots are. The slow and fast shots seem like the only useful ones. The others seem all kinda samey and the lob just seems like its always suicide and I can't see why you would ever want to use it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm really enjoying the game but I'm having trouble grasping what the point of all the different shots are. The slow and fast shots seem like the only useful ones. The others seem all kinda samey and the lob just seems like its always suicide and I can't see why you would ever want to use it.

A fully charged shot will push back the opponent, unless you counter with a specific shot. Flats counter flats, and Topspin/Slice counter each other. You want to mix up and confuse your opponent so that they start losing ground and getting to your shots late, which gives you more potential charge and them less. It's like tug of war. Keep in mind that each shot will behave differently if you hit it from the inside/outside of the court, and if you apply a direction to it.

If your opponent approaches the net, you lob the ball to get it behind them, and the opposite is the same with drop shots -- you use them when the opponent is further back so they can't get to the net in time. However, these shots will just end up as bad normal shots unless you charge them. A fully charged lob will land on the baseline and then bounce like 100 feet in the air, which makes it impossible for them to return unless they were already there before the bounce or they burn a special shot on it

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A fully charged shot will push back the opponent, unless you counter with a specific shot. Flats counter flats, and Topspin/Slice counter each other. You want to mix up and confuse your opponent so that they start losing ground and getting to your shots late, which gives you more potential charge and them less. It's like tug of war. Keep in mind that each shot will behave differently if you hit it from the inside/outside of the court, and if you apply a direction to it.

If your opponent approaches the net, you lob the ball to get it behind them, and the opposite is the same with drop shots -- you use them when the opponent is further back so they can't get to the net in time. However, these shots will just end up as bad normal shots unless you charge them. A fully charged lob will land on the baseline and then bounce like 100 feet in the air, which makes it impossible for them to return unless they were already there before the bounce or they burn a special shot on it

Oh drat thats rad. Is the whole counter thing explained anywhere in the tutorial? I totally missed it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

Oh drat thats rad. Is the whole counter thing explained anywhere in the tutorial? I totally missed it
If the full game does the same thing as the demo (I haven't actually checked) they never explain any of that stuff in the tutorial and it's instead hidden in the "how to play" guide. There's a surprising amount of mechanics that the game doesn't tell you about.

The shots also have different properties, some of which only become apparent when they're fully charged. A non-charged slice is basically the same as a non-charged topspin is basically the same as a non-charged drop shot. Charge them and they'll all shine at their specific tasks. I was so confused at first why the ball wasn't curving and why the drop shot was so seemingly useless in this game, but if you fully charge them then you can do some ridiculous stuff :haw:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When going for a rally if you're not good with terms keep this in the back of your head

Red shot you should return with a Blue shot
Blue shot you should return with a Red shot
Purple should be purple.

If you hit a red shot with a red shot you give the enemy a star point so they can slam a ball into your face. Same with returning a blue with your blue. If you can keep ontop of that then your enemy will literally never get the chance to zone shot you while you bully them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
return everything with a drop shot :yeah:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When going for a rally if you're not good with terms keep this in the back of your head

Purple should be purple.

If you hit a red shot with a red shot you give the enemy a star point so they can slam a ball into your face. Same with returning a blue with your blue. If you can keep ontop of that then your enemy will literally never get the chance to zone shot you while you bully them.

Oh wow I hadn't thought about it yet but this game is really bad for colorblindness isn't it

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a place to practice timing against zone shots and serves? That's my biggest weakness right now

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/mvsonicgenerati/status/1008858930032721921

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow I hadn't thought about it yet but this game is really bad for colorblindness isn't it

they make a different sound too

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/OkayCoolCA/status/1010195064553865216

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Purple should be purple.

OH! I didn't know that's what caused star zones. Does anyone have any other tips for when you're on the defensive? I played against a 6k score guy this morning and could not do a thing against him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Star zones are also caused when the opponent returns with poor form (being close enough to hit but you have to reach for it a bit and go flat-footed)

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I think I've found my skill level. I just did the last AI tournament cup. And my final against bowser so super tense and I felt like I was on the back foot half of the time. I think we went into three separate tiebreakers, but I finally pulled out the win in the fourth set.

Also I wish there was a way to control how many sets you play in free play. It seems like there is only tiebreaker and extended (one set).

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

This game perfectly recreates the feeling of being a villain in an 80s movie about tennis. You can aim for the body, you can break the opponents racket, you can taunt people.

All it's missing is a "shove them in a locker" button and maybe a "mack on the opponent's girlfriend" option

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I use up/down + x for drops and lobs and it doesn't seem to matter which combo I input I get a lob shot. It's driving me nuts. Nothing like an opponent who stays in the back getting a ball lobbed at them.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Use B then A or A then B instead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I am terrible at blocking zone shots, I’m trying to do the beginner sure shot challenge and have yet to block a single one :mad:

e: managed to block two but Spike just hit them right back :downs:

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

I am terrible at blocking zone shots, I’m trying to do the beginner sure shot challenge and have yet to block a single one :mad:

It's all about timing. You need to return the shot right when it's about to pass you. It's really tricky.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Bowser Jr is a son of a bitch to play against. I lost against him in a laggy match. That rear end in a top hat could cover the entire court from anywhere.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

CascadeBeta posted:

It's all about timing. You need to return the shot right when it's about to pass you. It's really tricky.

I'm fine at blocking things while using zone speed. But doing it without seems impossible (it's not, I've done it like twice)

My thing is, the game said that you can block by doing a trick shot as long as you still hit a shot button at the same time. I can do that with the slower power shots in adventure mode (Pirahna Plants, Shy Guys, etc.) But I've never been able to do it successfully in a real match against a full speed Zone Shot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I tried a tournament without any of the power ups thinking it would be better but I find it a tad more frustrating because your character traits get accentuated a bit more in a bad way. So if you're playing a specialty shooter who has a lot of curve and you even for a second aren't already moving correctly you have no chance of recovering since you don't have the specialty save move. Its kind of weird because I was hoping there would be a way to play a stripped down "no powerups" tennis mode and that is exactly what this is, but its still just a bit jarring since player attributes are somewhat more variable than a traditional tennis game.

Also, its a lot of fun to play this. I'm enjoying it, but anyone have any favorite characters yet? I still like Rosalina a lot.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Two back to back tournaments baby

3 overall

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Purple should be purple.

What about yellow shots?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Partial Octopus posted:

What about yellow shots?
Yellow and Sparkling are lobs. They hit the very back of the field and sail over your enemies heads but the trade off is they can be returned with anything and they form a zone shot star

White and Sparkling are drop shots. They hit the floor and do a tiny bounce and are a pain in the rear end and force you to the net. They can be returned with anything though and if you aren't prepared for a shot from the net it can backfire on you REAL hard.

Plain yellow are shots that you hosed up on returning and you were off form. They give the other player a zone shot and are a free space on what to hit.

Edit to be more clear.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 22, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just got home to play the game. I jumped right into multiplayer without touching single player, and started off with the simple mode tournament. I’m 3-0 and in the semi finals right now but every match is loving tense as hell. I’m using chain chomp and basically just overpowering people. Rosalina has definitely been my hardest opponent so far.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yellow and Sparkling are lobs. They hit the very back of the field and sail over your enemies heads but the trade off is they can be returned with anything and they form a zone shot star

White and Sparkling are drop shots. They hit the floor and do a tiny bounce and are a pain in the rear end and force you to the net. They can be returned with anything though and if you aren't prepared for a shot from the net it can backfire on you REAL hard.

Plain yellow are shots that you hosed up on returning and you were off form. They give the other player a zone shot and are a free space on what to hit.

Edit to be more clear.

Super helpful. So is there any a reason to do a normal shot over a double tap shot?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit to be more clear.

Are the smash shots just flat out replaced (A+B)? I havn't played since Power Tennis, what are the major changes (aside from the new meter mechanic)?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've gotta say the connection issues are virtually gone from the demo. If I see someone has low bars I just don't connect but I've had really good experiences in the 6 matches or so I've played online. I already ran into someone who has like 8000 points online though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Went 5-0 to win my first tournament. Final match I beat someone with 5000 points. I have a feeling I’m gonna like this game 😊

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Theres a weird vibe to a game where right away you realize you're going to lose and its funny but also sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Much like in high school I'm the worst tennis player in the world and I've been playing simple mode tournament and I have a whopping 1 win :smith:

What do the star markers indicate in simple mode? Do you have to hit a certain button combination to use them?