Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

soggybagel posted:

Also, its a lot of fun to play this. I'm enjoying it, but anyone have any favorite characters yet? I still like Rosalina a lot.

I've got to try out some more people but Daisy and Mario stood out. I like the all-around characters. Spike is cool too as he's really strong and surprisingly nimble. I tried Toad out, but it seemed like he was just too small to hit things. Classic is awesome and I think I may like it better, but the learning curve is high and I'm OK, but not great at it yet.

My win loss ratio is going to get bigger and in a bad way... Do you need to win a tournament to get a new character or just play in it? We should get a new outfit for the June Tournament or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Loving this game so far, but I got to the spinning clocks part of the mirror and WHY THE gently caress IS THERE A THIRD SET.

I just want to unlock courts and play normal tennis :qq:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Can you defend zone shots with trick shots? It feels like they're too early 100% of the time which just breaks my rackets.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Loving this game so far, but I got to the spinning clocks part of the mirror and WHY THE gently caress IS THERE A THIRD SET.

I just want to unlock courts and play normal tennis :qq:

This is what happened to me as well! Just now!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
https://twitter.com/firemariowii/status/1009846590704668672?s=21

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Can you defend zone shots with trick shots? It feels like they're too early 100% of the time which just breaks my rackets.

Theoretically, if you still press a shot button at the right time after the trick shot gets you there. But I've only been able to successfully pull it off against computers and not in a tournament match. (Maybe I'm just loving up due to nerves and pressure. The amount this game resembles real tennis is insane. )

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I thought there was some type of matchmaking? I'm only playing against people with thousands of points. I have 28.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Why are there 5 powerful characters when there's only two of every other archetype (except all around)

Why is Waluigi still the best motherfucker in this game

Why haven't I played anything else since this came out

Racket selection and being able to change Quick Play game length (especially for Local/Splitscreen play) seems odd, maybe that's a planned update?

Game is fun tho

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing to me how I never had anyone drop matchmaking against me until I started playing Boo.

Maybe it's the 4-6 service aces I can get with his coin flip Top Spin/Slice serves.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Beat the Boo Rally on first try. Was really expecting something terrible. Had a lot more trouble with the mirror immediately before it.

Also played for an hour and a half against a friend last night. Was incredibly smooth. I do wish you could set custom match length.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 23, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's still Mario Tennis because I can get really far with a game plan solely consisting of "serve diagonally, follow up with a drop shot in the opposite direction"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is the best way to counter drop shots/fully charged drop shots trick shots? I keep running at them like an idiot and doing the trip animation but never actually make it. Zone speed I guess is the other option, but I'd prefer to not use that unless absolutely necessary.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I keep on making it to the finals and then just not being able to do anything at the end to win. The amount of Bowser Jr’s and Waluigis I’ve seen are ridiculous. Also looking at the rankings and like most of them are Bowser Jr. starting to resent the little poo poo.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’ve had the experience of getting stomped early on but not by players with tons of points. Like destroyed by a moonwalking Waluigi who only has 230 points. The rankings page is insane - someone has 450+ games already. Having fun but I cannot figure out how to gain power well. As Bowser I’m usually just behind them, anyone else and I’m in a huge deficit. Also can’t figure out how to pull off lob shots consistently.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was on the fence about this game but I had some extra coins for the e-shop so I caved.

Looking forward to getting utterly stomped online!

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
If you play Lefty it will in random games make you a Righty. Pretty annoying.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the voice chat app available for this game? How do I talk with a friend?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Having the lob button, if pressed twice, turn into a trick shot is one of the worst possible control decisions I could imagine. I genuinely cannot fathom who could think that was a good idea.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

How do you do a quick overhead smash? I can only smash it with a chargeup but I see folks doing it all the time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also how the hell do I play with a friend? My buddy is online and I’m in free play but it won’t let me select the invite friends button?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Having the lob button, if pressed twice, turn into a trick shot is one of the worst possible control decisions I could imagine. I genuinely cannot fathom who could think that was a good idea.

Just use A->B to lob.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

quaunaut posted:

Please use the B, A and A, B method instead to do drop shots and lobs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How do I invite a friend to play with me online!?!?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Playing in handheld mode instead of using my pro controller and I forgot my right joycon has that disconnect issue. So I was getting frustrated because occasionally it wasn't registering my button presses, in addition to me being bad. I finally remembered my joycon problem when it told me to reconnect my controller.

I should probably send that joycon in for servicing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

315/400, gently caress you Kamek.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok so to play with a friend you both have to create a room with the same exact preferences, then one person has to back out, and THEN you should see your friends name/icon there to join. As far as I can see you CANNOT play doubles online with a friend against other real people (doubles online as in I’m at my house and my friend is at his house). Nintendo online multiplayer is terrible as always.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I hope they add like that, more customization as far as game lengths (like 6 game sets for home or however many you want), and a matchmaking-based singles ladder

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Wendell posted:

315/400, gently caress you Kamek.

Games › Mario Tennis Aces: 315/400, gently caress you Kamek.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Is it me, or is the timing on Special Shots nearly impossible to get? I genuinely can't tell the difference between an early swing and right on. It feels absolutely impossible to get reliably.

Also: Special shots in net games should always give network advantage to the opponent. It's ridiculous that you've gotta hit a perfect timing window when the ball can stop midair for 1/10th of a second.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME posted:

can someone confirm/unconfirm if i can do doubles online with one friend, matched against other random players (not CPUs)
not a local friend, just to be clear, someone who would also be online

I still haven't been able to find anyone to test this with, by the way

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RME posted:

I still haven't been able to find anyone to test this with, by the way

You cannot. What you CAN do, is have one person set up a doubles only room, and then have your friend do a normal game search. Hopefully they will get put into your room, and then you will have to wait for 2 strangers to fill the room via matchmaking (can take a long time). If you manage to do that then you can play doubles but it’s random partnering so you won’t be able to be on your buddies team every game. :yeah:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RCarr posted:

You cannot. What you CAN do, is have one person set up a doubles only room, and then have your friend do a normal game search. Hopefully they will get put into your room, and then you will have to wait for 2 strangers to fill the room via matchmaking (can take a long time). If you manage to do that then you can play doubles but it’s random partnering so you won’t be able to be on your buddies team every game. :yeah:

nintendo...

RME
Feb 20, 2012

well, did anyone own ARMS for real
what kind of content did they patch in with updates, just new characters and balance stuff or did it include new modes/options etc

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I beat Kamek right after I complained and it was honestly pretty easy. Or I got lucky. My strategy was just get in a rally doing purple shots and then once you build up your meter do a special shot if you’re about to lose the point or it bounces off the mast weird. It doesn’t count as a miss if you win a point in these challenges so you just re-serve if you win a point or his racket breaks. And your streak stays intact too so you can get the bonus strokes.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I played with somegoon last night and setting it up was fine, I just created a game room and they were able to see and join it by refreshing the list after I did so?

There are 5 "power" characters but they all feel and older differently, all of the characters with the same archetype seem to have different stats/be hybridized in a different way

Having a lot of points doesn't necessarily mean you're very good since you get points even if you lose, it just means you play a lot, their win/loss ratio could be godawful. I don't know if there is actually matchmaking though tbh

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

RME posted:

well, did anyone own ARMS for real
what kind of content did they patch in with updates, just new characters and balance stuff or did it include new modes/options etc

I believe that they fixed a lot of things about multiplayer. They listened to the player base. Splatoon got fixed as well in many ways. In many ways, there are still some decisions the devs are committed to I don't agree with.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apologies if I missed it in the preceding pages but apparently there’s 5 different swing types, also left, also right, also late or early, that affect swing mode? We just got back from a trip on a plane where my 5yo and I played handheld but we are back now and loving swing mode and want to know what the nuance is, there...

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Me earlier: https://imgur.com/a/anRAfW2

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 23, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

JackDarko posted:

I believe that they fixed a lot of things about multiplayer. They listened to the player base. Splatoon got fixed as well in many ways. In many ways, there are still some decisions the devs are committed to I don't agree with.

Splatoon is basically impossible to play the main mode as a duo still, which has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for that game, but Salmon Run is fun and doesn;t have that issue at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

the best way to play motion controlled tennis games is attaching the controller's lanyard to the front of your pants and playing by pelvic thrusting