Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I tried a tournament without any of the power ups thinking it would be better but I find it a tad more frustrating because your character traits get accentuated a bit more in a bad way. So if you're playing a specialty shooter who has a lot of curve and you even for a second aren't already moving correctly you have no chance of recovering since you don't have the specialty save move. Its kind of weird because I was hoping there would be a way to play a stripped down "no powerups" tennis mode and that is exactly what this is, but its still just a bit jarring since player attributes are somewhat more variable than a traditional tennis game.

Also, its a lot of fun to play this. I'm enjoying it, but anyone have any favorite characters yet? I still like Rosalina a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've gotta say the connection issues are virtually gone from the demo. If I see someone has low bars I just don't connect but I've had really good experiences in the 6 matches or so I've played online. I already ran into someone who has like 8000 points online though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Theres a weird vibe to a game where right away you realize you're going to lose and its funny but also sucks!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Simple mode is kind of hard because theres almost no room for error when trying to predict where they may shoot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
One thing I've noticed that is very annoying is there is almost no punishment when you're returning a serve for moving up a few steps from the baseline to crowd the serve. No matter how fast you hit the serve or how much curve you put on it you can just negate the serve speed.

E: just got to kamek in the single player. gently caress THIS gently caress THIS

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 23, 2018

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I beat Kamek right after I complained and it was honestly pretty easy. Or I got lucky. My strategy was just get in a rally doing purple shots and then once you build up your meter do a special shot if you’re about to lose the point or it bounces off the mast weird. It doesn’t count as a miss if you win a point in these challenges so you just re-serve if you win a point or his racket breaks. And your streak stays intact too so you can get the bonus strokes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I played on match as bowser jr and felt like he was slow as hell but everytime i play against him he loving rolls me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It’s been said here that you hit a slice ball with a red hit IE top spin shot but I’ve found that it doesn’t really hurt to just do a purple shot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just had an epic battle with Bowser Jr. and man is he tough to handle. I was Rosalina and it just felt like I didn't have the power needed to stretch the court to beat him I lost 3-1 and we had a really long Deuce battle. Any good strategies on Bowser Jr.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
One thing that is a recurring slight annoyance is that even if you're in the right position and you have a full charged shot the game doesn't really let you hit a shot right down the line. Its annoying because I do think it takes a tad bit of strategy/mind game element out of it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If you're charging your shot in the right position the ball should never hit you in the face or body. The only time I've ever been hit in the body or face is when I'm lagging. Could be latency issues..

E: If that reddit chart is to be believed and I do, Rosalina really does feel loving slow!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The bowser jr metagame will be strong. Can’t wait for the yet to be unveiled characters to gently caress balance up though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The one thing I wish the way tournaments awarded points took into account was truly epic matches. I just spent in the first round about 20 minutes against a Waluigi where we had massively long rally's and it went to tie breaker and I eventually lost because I got KO'd. So losing after 20 minutes of playing and being awarded 20 points is a bit of a kick in the nuts. I realize I'm not even close to being world class so rankings dont' even matter but still.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Is there certain players who’s full meter special shot pushes you back more than others? I was playing a Luigi and even when I blocked it it sent me back super far but some other peoples didn’t.

Also I played a toadette with like 20k points and they drop shotted me every time and it was infuriating.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've only played like 30 matches but I've never run into any cheating.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I agree. I think balancing of how much charge shots and the special shot give to meter could maybe also help. I.E. lower the amount it fills the meter. Make it take a bit longer to earn a full meter.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Stefan Prodan posted:

The problem is there are a lot of situations where you can position yourself such that like I dunno how but you can like be around the net and get both lobs and drop shots successfully by just holding back on the stick so there's like no way to actually get anything past them, or at least this is how it seemed to me against a couple people that pulled it off

One thing I will say that seems to work is like fully charged lob shots will get around them better, sometimes it's ok to use a little bit of meter to make sure you get a fully charged shot off so that you can regain control of the momentum of the match and make them have to hard read instead of getting set up for these kinds of guaranteed trick shots

If I could level a criticism about how this isn’t “realistic” enough is this. It doesn’t punish a player for hanging out in “no mans land” on a court. In real tennis you’re usually punished for playing in that area. You either want to be pretty tight at the net to volley with a tight angle and push your opponent wide or just win. Or you want to be baseline bombing returns and moving your opponent wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Really? I was going to mention that once I started moving out of no man's land, I started getting better results. I realized that I was losing the charge battle because I wasn't far back enough to consistently get max charge on a bunch of shots

I mean its better to not be there, but you can kind of play there if you're good about using the specials to get back or forward defensively. So you're actually being rewarded as you boost your meter with that play. I still like the ability to slow down time and rescue shots but its very very hard to lob someone if they know what they're doing in general.