Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I use up/down + x for drops and lobs and it doesn't seem to matter which combo I input I get a lob shot. It's driving me nuts. Nothing like an opponent who stays in the back getting a ball lobbed at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Bowser Jr is a son of a bitch to play against. I lost against him in a laggy match. That rear end in a top hat could cover the entire court from anywhere.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hate playing against Bowser Jr. I haven't won a single rally against any matches against him.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My gyro controls keep turning themselves off randomly. It's happened in handheld mode and docked with a pro controller. When they go off I can use the left stick to aim but the cursor moves in fits and starts.

Is this happening to anyone in here?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
At least ten of the twenty matches I've played have been against people with >2,000 points. This poo poo is wearing thin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't underscore how gyro controls turning on and off randomly without notifying the player passed any sort of play testing. This is getting infuriating.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I never have regretted buying a game this quickly (not even Brink). Two days in and my win percentage is in the 30s and I can count the number of times I've gotten to the second round on one hand. In the demo I made it to finals five or six times and to the second round in nearly every tourny. I feel like nothing I do matters nor functions how I think its supposed to. I'm loving such of playing people with several thousand of points against my <1000. I just payed a Waluigi who built a special shot in the first rally before I had a yellow meter.

I like to think I had a strong understanding of this game during the demo and none of that seems to matter in the face of never ending Bowser Jr's and Boo's.

Can anyone explain why sometimes when I do some shots it works and other times the ball hits my face? I can't figure out where the cut off is. The ball hits me just as often as zone shot activates.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 24, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's really fun because since I started playing this game it's been a nearly endless stream of Boo and Bowser Jr. players with several thousands of points and me losing every match and getting 0-2 points for playing.

It doesn't seem like buttons I press ever do what I want them to do. During the demo I felt as if I had mastered the controls and held my own against nearly every other player. I really don't understand why I can't play this game and I don't know what to do to learn why nothing I do works the way I anticipate it to.

Great example: just played against a Boo (shocking!) and every time he lobbed the ball I'd stand in the star, charge my shot, and then would never swing. Why didn't my character ever swing their racket? No one knows.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa, I think I found my groove with Luigi.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I cannot get used to Boo's curving shots. How do you anticipate them? Sometimes they look like they're going one way and then they don't and other times it looks like they're going one way and they keep going that direction.

Is there a tell I'm not noticing or is it just bullshit?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can lob shots be aimed to the left or right? Every drop shot I make drops it in the center.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm queuing for round three as Toadette and mm doing an experiment where I cancel every Boo and Jr opponent. It took six cancels before I got someone else (Waluigi).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I legitimately do not understand how any part of Boo's slice is predictable.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'd buy DLC that removes Boo and Jr. from the game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

soggybagel posted:

The one thing I wish the way tournaments awarded points took into account was truly epic matches. I just spent in the first round about 20 minutes against a Waluigi where we had massively long rally's and it went to tie breaker and I eventually lost because I got KO'd. So losing after 20 minutes of playing and being awarded 20 points is a bit of a kick in the nuts. I realize I'm not even close to being world class so rankings dont' even matter but still.

Agreed. I was in a match as Toadette v Rosalina and each game was at least 50 rallies back and forth. I lost in a shootout and got like 8 points. At least points don't get you anything??????

I think that Firelord hero in Warcalraft 3 was the last time I hated playing against a character as much as I hate playing against Jr and Boo.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
A bit more transparency about how this game works would go miles. I drop a lob shot several feet from my opponent and they effortlessly return it to me. They land a drop shot directly in front of me and I can't return the ball. Why?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wendell posted:

They saw the white trail and anticipated the drop shot, adjusting their play accordingly. You pressed the swing button a little too soon, preventing your character from reaching the ball despite it seemingly being at your feet.

Hey, thanks for the clarification!

saltyslug posted:

please stop posting about how bad youa re at this game it is very tedious

Sorry for posting impressions and asking questions. I'll adjust my foruming accordingly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Scags posted:

What's the consensus on this game? I love Mario Tennis but I have no IRL friends and I heard the online was terrible.

The game is really fun when it works. For example, I had two great matches and then in the third round I lost because my trick shots didn't move me, instead I went through the movement animation while remaining in place. Also my gyro controls turned themselves off in that same game.

JackDarko posted:

Something for you to keep in mind you can cancel your charge shot by hitting L if you started charging and realize it's a drop shot cancel to run toward the ball for a hit. The problem here is that if you're far away and manage to hit the ball it's going to be a weak shot. If it's a weak shot your opponent will have the advantage for the rest of the rally unless they make an error or you manage to pull off a trick shot.

I'm working on canceling shots. It's not a natural response for me... I still have to think about how to do it, but I'm getting there.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Next question: I am getting pretty good at countering special shots. However I was just playing as Toadette against Luigi, and I went through the same motions as I always do to block them, but Toadette wouldn't swing at the ball? I don't understand what I was doing wrong. I was using zone speed to get next to the ball and pressing Y. Instead of swinging and missing or swinging and breaking a racket, nothing happened. Just kept running passed the ball. For a point of reference, the previous game I blocked 4/4 special shots that were sent at me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Man I am so bad at this game. My new thing is the past four games, which wasn't a thing during the demo or all weekend, is to land all my trick shots, but send them back as lobs. I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I'm certainly doing something wrong!

Does single player offer worth while instruction of how the game's mechanics work?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You haven't played the single player? it puts you in several situations where you have to use the mechanics of the game to pass.

I haven't because the game made sense to me during the demo weekend and my win percent was 28% higher than it is now. I played a few matches in SP and it seemed like a stream of mini games and I don't really enjoy mini games. I'll give it a shot if it'll demystify things.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If your Trick Shot is late and requires Zone Speed but you don't have enough meter to legitimately reach the ball, it converts the shot into a lob

Ooooh. Thanks!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm queuing into the final match of an online tournament for the first time! The fourth match was crazy fun. Me (Luigi) v Rosalina. So much back and forth and dramas as we both had a come from behind rally.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just played a Spike player named smash and he used about five normal hits the entire game. He used trick shots drat near exclusively. It was impressive but real loving lame.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Am I the only one who presses buttons really hard when playing this game? I know I don't need to do it but I can't help it.

Something finally clicked with Luigi and I'm enjoying this game a ton more. I'm playing much better and reliably making it into the 3rd+ round. Made it to finals twice and both matches were fun. The first was a close match vs Daisy. The second a Boo was obnoxious in the net. I knew what to do to beat him but he outplayed me. I'm feeling alot better now that I understand what's beating me and how to counter it.

The only thing I don't understand is playing against Rosalina. Every Rosalina pushes me way back into my side of the court and has a full meter by the end of the first rally. I am countering her blue shots with red shots, I'm blocking all her power and zone shots, but no matter what I do most of my returns push me back or spin me.

I really don't understand what I'm doing so wrong against Rosalina.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 30, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's such a satisfying feeling when you figure out how the other player wants to play and then countering them after getting trounced for the first few rallies if a match. Especially so if you go on to win the match without conceding additional points. Holy moly that felt good!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Rosalina is able to move at normal speed while charging for a shot, so she can start charging for a shot while still far from it. Other characters can’t move or move much slower while charging for a shot. You have to switch up your shots more and make use of more drop/lob shot combos against good Rosalinas.

Jeez that's a mean ability to play against. Are there any comprehensive guides to characters and/or mechanics? I've tried googling around and most are from games journalism explaining the controls and little more.

There seem to be some decent posts on Reddit for some topics.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Apparently I just hadn't found my character. Tried Rosalina and my win percentage is at 50% in standard now and I just made it to the finals. I lost but now I'm having exciting rallies, using charge better, and not always being on my back foot.

It gets better goons! :unsmith:

Finally clicking with a character is a great feeling eh? I'm still flying high with Luigi. As long as I pass v defensive characters most of my matches are fun.

I also changed my mindset when playing against people who clearly out class me. Instead of getting hung up on losing I focus on what they're doing to me so I can try it out myself in the next match.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I love KO'ing the other player. It's such an awesome feeling. Especially when they risked their last health bar on the racket unnecessarily and broke.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just won my first tournament and it was a perfect experience. Good goddamn that was a rush.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I decided to stop passing against def characters. After losing 3 of 3 games against people who were bad at this game I'm going back to passing on those match ups. Defensive characters don't have any drawbacks as far as I can tell and are not fun to play against. It turns out as long as you can return a ball from anywhere on the court the rest of your skill set barely matters.

Also, since yesterday evening my connection to the game has been bad. I have to skip several matches until I find a good connection, which usually is a Waluigi or Jr, thus my willingness to play against them again. Is anyone else having very bad connections? Three games that started as 5 bar connections turned into laggy poo poo shows as soon as the matches started.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 1, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Kirios posted:

There's a moment when all the mechanics of the game "clicks" for you and you start competing against the upper tier players consistently, even winning a few.

That is a wonderful feeling I wish on everyone.

Heck yes it's a great feeling!! It happens for me on Friday. In one day I pulled my win percentage from high 30s to just shy of 50% before the June tourny ended.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a trick to reliably drop shotting when you're using zone time? There seems to be a 50/50 chance of me either hitting a drop shot or doing nothing. I can't figure out what the problem is and it's loving infuriating.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

santanotreal posted:

Doing nothing as in not even swing or just a normal hit?

Yes. I do what I do to make a drop shot happen and I just keep running. I don't charge I don't swing, I just keep moving.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm trying it with both X and BA. Both are equally risky. I just lost two games in a row primarily to running passed shots that should have been a loving sure thing. I wish I understood if it's me or a semi-lovely control scheme for doing lobs and drop shots. It's probably some of both, but I haven't had this problem until literally this afternoon. It may also be lag. The game's been a laggy shitshow for me since the patch dropped. It's not unusual for me to pass on 5+ players before one of them has 3+ bars. Even if I agree to play someone with a good connection, I can't think of a single game of the ~10 I've played post patch that haven't devolved into freeze frame matches as the connection goes from 5 bars to 1 bar sporadically.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Trying to trick shot laterally and going up/downcourt, or vice versa, bones me so often. I can never tell if it's because I'm out of position and what I wanted to do won't work, or I fumbled the stick out of panic.

I would use left stick + XX but then I just end up trying to drop shot like a loser

Sometimes trick shots misfire. I often push left or right and instead move forward and backward. Its one of the few things that I cannot understand.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was getting stomped by a koopa trooper abusing the gently caress out if trickshots. I scored no points until he was serving his match point. I made a comeback and beat him 2-1. Suck it, trickshots. Those things are one of the least fun mechanics I've ever had to deal with in MP games.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is koopa troopas deal fast speed + obnoxious drop shot + full court trick shot coverage? Every troopa I play against is a trick shot machine.

Also circling back to a mysterious meter loss discussion from yesterday, against the trick shotting koopa my meter was around 75%, I didn't use any powers or trick shots, and when I tried to use zone speed a few rallies later I had just a sliver of meter. I don't understand how this game works. :saddowns:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
gently caress trick shots.

I'm adding koopa troopa to my list to avoid. Every match against troopa he covers the court with trick shots. It's just as, if not more, annoying as Waluigi or BJr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I had one of the most ridiculous matchs as Toadette v Chain Chomp. The moment I shattered his last racket the game froze and there was a communication error. I'm assuming that's a rage quit. Hopefully that Switch didn't get destroyed! :ohdear: