Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm aching to get back to a more simple, easy game like Dark Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I absolutely loved Mario Tennis on the 64 and played the poo poo out of it. Will I like this game?
It's Mario Tennis and it's awesome. The new anime moves are all really neat and help mix things up.

A lot of people and game journalists were sad that it's not an RPG like the Game Boy Color game but if you just want Mario Tennis then you got it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Partial Octopus posted:

Oh drat thats rad. Is the whole counter thing explained anywhere in the tutorial? I totally missed it
If the full game does the same thing as the demo (I haven't actually checked) they never explain any of that stuff in the tutorial and it's instead hidden in the "how to play" guide. There's a surprising amount of mechanics that the game doesn't tell you about.

The shots also have different properties, some of which only become apparent when they're fully charged. A non-charged slice is basically the same as a non-charged topspin is basically the same as a non-charged drop shot. Charge them and they'll all shine at their specific tasks. I was so confused at first why the ball wasn't curving and why the drop shot was so seemingly useless in this game, but if you fully charge them then you can do some ridiculous stuff :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
return everything with a drop shot :yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's still Mario Tennis because I can get really far with a game plan solely consisting of "serve diagonally, follow up with a drop shot in the opposite direction"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

the best way to play motion controlled tennis games is attaching the controller's lanyard to the front of your pants and playing by pelvic thrusting

in the biz we call this "the Waluigi"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

More points =/= more skill
I hate this argument and it always, without fail comes up in regards to matchmaking. :sigh: Sure it's technically possible to play for a huge amount of time and not get any more skilled but in reality people tend to get better with practice.

Obviously this game is still pretty fresh, but I keep seeing this argument in other games like Overwatch where sometimes you're put up against people with something ridiculous like 800 more hours in the game than you and everyone falls over themselves to point out that maybe those people spent 800 hours not improving at all did you consider that hmmmmmmm? :smugbert:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Just never hit X, it's terrible.

This should be in the thread title considering how often people complain about it :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you know I almost wonder if the developers somehow didn't expect people to just trick shot 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
don't you lose meter if the opponent gets a charged shot and you counter it with the wrong type of shot?