Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Mario Tennis Aces isn't a tennis game, it's a fighting game, and it's a drat good one.

Is there a more detailed breakdown on the characters? I know there's differences between Chain Chomp and Spike, for example, but it's not really stated anywhere in game.

Also a fully charged drop shot is one of the most disgusting thing you can do to another human being, especially if it hits the top of the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I don't know why I'm asking for character breakdowns because Spike is the best boy.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

When going for a rally if you're not good with terms keep this in the back of your head

Red shot you should return with a Blue shot
Blue shot you should return with a Red shot
Purple should be purple.

If you hit a red shot with a red shot you give the enemy a star point so they can slam a ball into your face. Same with returning a blue with your blue. If you can keep ontop of that then your enemy will literally never get the chance to zone shot you while you bully them.

OH! I didn't know that's what caused star zones. Does anyone have any other tips for when you're on the defensive? I played against a 6k score guy this morning and could not do a thing against him.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Use B then A or A then B instead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

I am terrible at blocking zone shots, I’m trying to do the beginner sure shot challenge and have yet to block a single one :mad:

It's all about timing. You need to return the shot right when it's about to pass you. It's really tricky.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is anyone else unable to turn of gyro controls? I have them disabled both on the settings menu and the character select but I still have gyro in online play.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Salastine posted:

You have to actually confirm the change, instead of just backing out of the menu. Check the controls on the bottom of the menu.

It's changing between matches. I haven't changed the settings and it went from being off for the first three matches of a tournament to on in the semi finals and it cost me my loving match because all of a sudden my controller jiggles the cursor outside the court. I have no loving idea what's going on.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

EightFlyingCars posted:

Clearly it's telling you to use the gyro controls

But they're not very good!

Also I'm on tilt because I can't seem to get momentum against anyone. I'm building meter about half as fast as everyone else and they're getting super charged shots seemingly instantly. What am I doing wrong? I'm returning red with blue and visa versa and purple with purple.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Wildtortilla posted:

My gyro controls keep turning themselves off randomly. It's happened in handheld mode and docked with a pro controller. When they go off I can use the left stick to aim but the cursor moves in fits and starts.

Is this happening to anyone in here?

Same but in reverse. :(

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Additional weirdness: Sometimes when I'm going after a ball with zone speed, it will just randomly stop and return to normal speed. I have no idea why this happens. It's not because I don't have enough meter, because this has happened with varying levels of meter.

Edit: A better way to sum up my biggest gripe with the game is: I wish it was more willing to tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I have no idea.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 23, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing to me how I never had anyone drop matchmaking against me until I started playing Boo.

Maybe it's the 4-6 service aces I can get with his coin flip Top Spin/Slice serves.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is the best way to counter drop shots/fully charged drop shots trick shots? I keep running at them like an idiot and doing the trip animation but never actually make it. Zone speed I guess is the other option, but I'd prefer to not use that unless absolutely necessary.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ultrachrist posted:

I've been playing SP and it seemed trivial, but then I hit a brick loving wall with the Boo rally. He kept charging up on the star and knocking me backwards until I got so far away I couldn't return.

Then I realized that because so far every match was so drat easy I fundamentally did not understand the game. You have to time your shots by tapping or release before the ball reaches you. Not exactly when they reached you. Once I realized that I crushed Boo flawlessly.

This might seem obvious and the game tries to teach you this, but I didn't get it all until I started doing it. Feels nice to block powered up star shots now.

Wait what exactly do you mean? Should I not be trying to charge as much as possible?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

It's times like these that I wish we could add people we've faced as friends. Me and this dude had a loving WAR. Went to tiebreaker overtime, then we had a tiebreaker on THAT too. One of the best matches I've ever played.

Edit: Oh poo poo you can do that! I need to send this dude a well played if I can.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

leftist heap posted:

I've played up to blooper. Not sure which mechanics are left to be explained.

It seems like no matter what I do my opponent is getting drastically more star shots and building their energy way, way faster. I'm 2-10 now online.

Start timing double tap shots instead of charging shots. Charging shots is good if you can predict where a shot is going, but most of the time you should be single or double tapping shots.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Partial Octopus posted:

Can you counter charge shots with normal shots or do they have to be charged as well?

Countering with normal shots drastically reduces the knock back.

Also countering lob/drop shots with the correct shot makes them significantly faster. Always return drop shots with top spin. You'll win so many rallies that way.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Stefan Prodan posted:

Has anyone figured out how exactly everyone is different yet or are people still messing with everyone?

Like, how is Luigi different from Mario etc

Someone on reddit is doing stat breakdowns, so far I've seen speed and reach. Reach is the far more important one. An interesting part of that is that each character has about a 2 to 5 foot margin of error for receiving shots. Boo has zero. Him being good really does come down to how insane his slices are.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I want to stuff Bowser Jr. Into a locker like the nerd he is.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Tonight I learned I am terrible at doubles, but it was still a ton of fun.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's the consensus on Koopa Troopa so far? Bowser isn't really doing it for me anymore so I'm trying out the rest of the roster.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

RCarr posted:

I feel like this game would be so much better if trick shots didn’t exist.

I'm at this point too. High level play is endlessly farming meter with trick shots and that totally sucks and isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I run straight at my opponent, into the net

Run back around the toads officiating.