Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I thought there was some type of matchmaking? I'm only playing against people with thousands of points. I have 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wonder if we'll get balance patches because online has quickly become Bowser Jr. The Game (Guest Starring Boo and Rosalina)

Yeah, I eventually just shut it down and went to play an actual fighting game after getting matched with only >2000 point Bowser Jrs and Boos. I'll come back to it later but they really need to set up some kind of matchmaking. The < 5 times I got matched with someone with < 500 points, I won or came close, so it's just a matter of getting better but it's hard to do when you're only playing killers who have done nothing but play this game since it came out.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kirios posted:

Had a couple dozen or so goon matches in singles and doubles. Probably goes without saying, but playing with goons owns and is something I highly recommend. Get in the Discord and join up!

You got a link to the discord?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

RCarr posted:

More points =/= more skill

You don't really get many points for losing though, so unless they've been playing nonstop since release, people with multiple thousands are probably pretty good.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://youtu.be/KgA_S_q5oeQ?t=33

Please share this video with your friends

He makes absolutely no sense. I don't understand how the designers saw his court-spanning trickshot and thought, yep. Ship it!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

JackDarko posted:

I was playing as Bowser Jr hoping to run into a player better than me to give me a clue on how to beat him. It was a player with 40K points, and he was spamming trick shots to generate meter. That leads me to believe that if you can’t generate more energy than Bowser Jr he’s going to be tough to beat.

I don't see how you can when he can trick shot literally the entire court.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I joined but haven't had time to play yet!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SeANMcBAY posted:

“Version 1.1.1
Changes to Online Tournaments
The “Rating” feature will be added to the game on July 1, 2018. Ratings scores will start at 2,000 and go up after scoring points and go down when losing points in matches. It is a score that shows how strong the player is. (The in-game ranking board will continue to be based on Total Points.)
In cases where there is a disconnection during a match, ratings will go up or down based on the score in that match at that time.
When there is great discrepancy between players in ability, a player’s rating may not go up even if they win.
Changes to missions in Adventure mode
Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted how often the opponent uses Zone Shots.
Forest Edge: We have adjusted how quickly the opponent responds to shots.
Reflection Room: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Royal Chamber: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Other changes
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of settings not aligning with Options settings when starting a match.
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of the game freezing when pressing certain buttons after there is a communication error.
There will be further adjustments to game balance in matches and character performance.”

Sounds like they fixed the host gyro control bug. I’m glad they realize some characters are broken and sounds like that’s being dealt with next. A good update.

But are they going to give us the option to change match length???

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just don't get this game apparently. In the demo, I was decent but now I just get stomped and I just fundamentally don't get the standard play. I can't build meter, I'm always giving stars even when countering shots. I don't get it. It's a little better in simple mode but I just don't think it's clicking with me.

I guess I'll just stick to the fighting games I'm good at. :smith:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just don't get this game apparently. In the demo, I was decent but now I just get stomped and I just fundamentally don't get the standard play. I can't build meter, I'm always giving stars even when countering shots. I don't get it. It's a little better in simple mode but I just don't think it's clicking with me.

I guess I'll just stick to the fighting games I'm good at. :smith:

Apparently I just hadn't found my character. Tried Rosalina and my win percentage is at 50% in standard now and I just made it to the finals. I lost but now I'm having exciting rallies, using charge better, and not always being on my back foot.

It gets better goons! :unsmith:

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 30, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I don't get rage quits in this. Doesn't it still count as a loss for them? I still get the points and win so I'm assuming it does.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just wish they would remove energy gain from trick shots altogether. You shouldn't be rewarded for being out of place on the court.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ZeButler posted:

So what you're actually saying is that you want trick shots removed from the game, because that's basically what would happen if you removed energy gain from trick shots.

No? They'd be "oh poo poo" buttons that cost meter, as they should be so you can't do them whenever you feel like it and get rewarded for being in the wrong place on the court.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SeANMcBAY posted:

http://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/a...%81%84%E3%80%82

Big patch is dropping 8/1 and by using Google translate, it sounds like a lot of characters are getting buffs while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are getting nerfed. They’re also making it so you can do quick retries in adventure mode and aren’t just kicked to the world map when you fail.

Camelot deserves a lot of credit for basically fixing just about every issue I had with the game.

Also looks like they added 6 game / 1 set matches but what about multiple sets????

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Will I ever win a tournament? I get to the championship pretty much every time and always lose. :smith:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, after a string of 7(!) first round eliminations, I finally won my first tournament!!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Every Toadette I've played has been a killer and that was before the patch even.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SeANMcBAY posted:

New update is up.These all seem like great changes and additions.

I'm guessing people were still passing on Bowser Jrs and Waluigis for that change that hides the next player if you cancel a match to be implemented.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 20, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

First tournament back after not playing for months and won the tournament. I forgot how fun this game is. It's definitely a fighting game in all but name.

Looks like a lot of things have changed though. How do you get costumes? Is it just participating a lot or can you only get the one costume listed?

Also what's the current meta/tier list? Last time I played Bowser Jr. was still a menace.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

George Kansas posted:

The tier list is a lot different, they nerfed the heck out of Boo and Bowser Jr. to where they're lower tier characters now.

This is the most recent one I could find:

Wow, I've been a Rosalina main since day one so this sucks but whatever. Character loyalty and whatnot. And I'm still winning tournaments (two more down while I climb the ranks).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If any of you are or know the player blaise, we just had a kickass championship match that went to tiebreaker 6s. GGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any way to practice trick shotting zone or special shots? I'm at ranks where it's happening to me now and I need to learn the timing for Luma so I can do it too.