Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can't wait for material to be written about this game. There’s so much to this game that I don’t understand. I wish I could save more extended replays it’s hard for me to recollect the defeats where I was outclassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

quaunaut posted:

Having the lob button, if pressed twice, turn into a trick shot is one of the worst possible control decisions I could imagine. I genuinely cannot fathom who could think that was a good idea.

Please use the B, A and A, B method instead to do drop shots and lobs.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

RME posted:

well, did anyone own ARMS for real
what kind of content did they patch in with updates, just new characters and balance stuff or did it include new modes/options etc

I believe that they fixed a lot of things about multiplayer. They listened to the player base. Splatoon got fixed as well in many ways. In many ways, there are still some decisions the devs are committed to I don't agree with.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I'm by no means excellent and I play Waluigi. Made it to the finals and got smoked by a Bowser JR. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Identifying that once I let my opponent have stars and charge on me, I've practically lost the rally. Not sure what the way to turn that around is. I believe the game recommends a slice to slow the game down and leave you time to get into position.

Can someone provide any advice on positioning? I don't play or know the concepts of tennis very well.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I keep giving my opponent free star shots and I have no loving clue why. I'm doing full charge counters for all their balls and it doesn't seem to do anything.

If you press the button to hit the ball or early or your character needs to leap to hit the ball you give a star point.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

sharrrk posted:

this game needs a god d*mn training mode

sharrrk posted:

this game needs a god d*mn training mode

You're not wrong, I do think the story mode is basically a training mode with plot though.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I was playing as Bowser Jr hoping to run into a player better than me to give me a clue on how to beat him. It was a player with 40K points, and he was spamming trick shots to generate meter. That leads me to believe that if you can’t generate more energy than Bowser Jr he’s going to be tough to beat.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

leftist heap posted:

Can you explain these things to the rest of the class who can't do poo poo in this game

Against Boo I push up very close for the serve, the only counter I've seen is if the Boo has enough meter to Zone Shot Serve. It's not a great counter since as long as you have the meter you can move back quickly enough. Pushing up to the net against Boo really neuters him, I believe he also has a 0 in the reach category so he has to be precise with his returns.

Additionally, I haven't found a reason to not push up against everyone's serve and trickshot backward every time to return for the free meter.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this is a fighting game, I decided that I need to lab it like it's a fighting game. I went into the Vs. COM mode and played 15 matches against Bowser Jr. in Ace difficulty.

I lost 120 points in a row, which I expected, but some things that came to mind:

Basically whoever gets to 1/3 meter first can easily bully the opponent out of the point, or even the game. The opponent's options against a zone shot are either use meter to block (keeping the deficit), maybe using a power stroke and taking racket damage, or giving up the point.

I am really bad at using trick shots to build meter. It feels like even if I even completely anticipate where the ball is going and immediately use a trick shot as soon as they hit the ball, it's still a toss-up between whether I build meter or have to use zone speed and actually lose meter.

Similarly, I can't pinpoint how I'm losing the meter battle so badly. I feel like even when I get in front of the ball and do plenty of charge, I am still building slower than the opponent, both in vs. COM and online. Also when I manage to get off a zone shot, a successful block by the opponent means they actually come out ahead on meter.
Though that last part might only be for AI who can block without zone speed. Although maybe the top-ranking masters are able to block zone shots without slowing down time, which seems impossible to me right now...

Depending on your character it's not that difficult to nail trick shots once you understand how to abuse the system. Trick shotting behind you or in front of you, for example, is easier than predicted left or right. In a lot of cases unless the angle is exaggerated you will hit the ball. Practice trick shotting your opponent's serve every time.

1. Get as close to the first box without touching the line.
2. Hold back on the control stick, it's important that you do not wait for the opponent to serve just hold back.
3. You will trick shot their serve every time and put yourself at a meter advantage.

If someone figures out a counter to this technique that isn't using a Zone shot serve let me know.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

What’s missing from Tourney mode that I liked from the DEMO was that once you won a tourney, you were seeded to round 2. That means that in theory during round 1 the pool of potential skilled players was being lowered. Newer players would have an opportunity to face each other more often.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

That's interesting. I've won a few tourneys and have not noticed it. Thanks for letting me know.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

Hey, thanks for the clarification!

Sorry for posting impressions and asking questions. I'll adjust my foruming accordingly.

Something for you to keep in mind you can cancel your charge shot by hitting L if you started charging and realize it's a drop shot cancel to run toward the ball for a hit. The problem here is that if you're far away and manage to hit the ball it's going to be a weak shot. If it's a weak shot your opponent will have the advantage for the rest of the rally unless they make an error or you manage to pull off a trick shot.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

ZeButler posted:

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask on the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is excellent (except when the AI's involved).

I can vouch for this. I had fun playing doubles last night. I learned how to play the net v.s net properly, that I'm a ball magnet, and that the smartest COMPUTER AI super shots the ball out of bounds regularly.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Zelder posted:

Oh my God there is no greater feeling than 2-0'ing someone who only knows how to use trick shots. It's like they legit can't play once you keep lobbing on them

Lob to the corners seems to be the only way to beat them. The cone for backward trick shot doesn’t seem to reach for any character if they’re in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Wow they really nerfed Waluigi, he has no offensive weapons and the reach reduction can really be felt during net play. I guess it's Daisy time.