Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boo Rally is only intermediate

God I can't wait to see what they consider expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gave up on Boo

His AI is just loving way overtuned imo. He gets a million star shots and his ball literally zigzags the entire goddamn court. He's somehow even worse than rosalina gently caress off ghost

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

I can't play until I get home from work, so I ask:

What kind of online multiplayer game options are there? Singles and doubles, tournament, etc? Can you change match length, court type etc? Anything else?

Tournament is timed to periods of half a month or so at a time and you unlock goodies by doing it. It's a glorified matchmaking system to be honest.
Online you can fill a room with up to 4 friends, 4 randos or any combination of them in singles or doubles.

*You cannot pick which stage you want to play on, kind of. You get a list and you can select which courts you want to show up in rotation and if you want hazards so if you want to play marina stadium only for example you have to turn everything else off first.
*I heard that online with randoms is just tie breaker games but I swear I saw a option for normal games. Can't confirm either way.
*You can play Simple (No Zone stuff or special shots) and change settings like giving you infinite rackets and stuff. Swing Mode is offline only
*You and a friend can do doubles online couch co-op

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

So the online multiplayer is tie-breakers only? You can't play a bunch of games or a bunch of sets? That's terrible.

From what I see you can do sets with people. You stay in the same room after a round. It's just you can't set it to keep going and just have to re-ready up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I'm watching some online play right now as I can't check and I see normal 15 - 30 - 40 rounds, not just tie breaker.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RCarr posted:

Playing 5 tie breakers over and over is not the same as playing, you know, an actual tennis match in the structure that tennis is supposed to be played in. It would be like having a golf game where you can play online multiplayer but you can only play 2 holes and have to exit and reload a new game to play another 2 more, 9 separate times. How do they not just have a simple menu that lets you choose how many sets you want to play, with X amount of games per set? (Like every tennis game ever to exist)

Nintendo never ceases to amaze me with it's "Amazing game missing 1 basic feature that has existed for 20 years" shtick.

I was wrong. You can do normal rear end matches. Watching a couple friends play normal matches with each other, not just tie breakers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm so mad that story has all these cool characters and we have to wait *months* to use them.

I want shy guy so badly ;_;

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

He's the first reward but it's still weird that series mainstays like Koopa/Paratroopa/Shy Guy are all gated behind time locks. Knowing I can't play as one of my favorite mario enemies till *next year* has me seriously bummed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When going for a rally if you're not good with terms keep this in the back of your head

Red shot you should return with a Blue shot
Blue shot you should return with a Red shot
Purple should be purple.

If you hit a red shot with a red shot you give the enemy a star point so they can slam a ball into your face. Same with returning a blue with your blue. If you can keep ontop of that then your enemy will literally never get the chance to zone shot you while you bully them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Partial Octopus posted:

What about yellow shots?
Yellow and Sparkling are lobs. They hit the very back of the field and sail over your enemies heads but the trade off is they can be returned with anything and they form a zone shot star

White and Sparkling are drop shots. They hit the floor and do a tiny bounce and are a pain in the rear end and force you to the net. They can be returned with anything though and if you aren't prepared for a shot from the net it can backfire on you REAL hard.

Plain yellow are shots that you hosed up on returning and you were off form. They give the other player a zone shot and are a free space on what to hit.

Edit to be more clear.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 22, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wonder if we'll get balance patches because online has quickly become Bowser Jr. The Game (Guest Starring Boo and Rosalina)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Boo and Shy Guy are my favorite characters to use in spin-offs so it feels kind of bad that he's as good as he is right now. If they do rework him to be less of a poo poo I'll still stick with him because I love being the lil ghosty boy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

Yeah it really sucks that your favorite character is good as poo poo. that's such a stupid attitude, just have fun playing the game

Eh when I go online and see a ton of people complaining about boo players it's gonna bum me out a bit. I'm not saying I don't have fun just wish there wasn't a "Ugh, *these* players" vibe going on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Funniest trick is to hit the ball far away from your opponent and watch them run to catch it, then right before they get into position to hit it use your zone speed and make them stumble. Funny and practical!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cojawfee posted:

What? You can only use zone speed when the ball is coming at you.

Might of been a bug when I was playing with a friend then? I most certainly was loving around tapping it after I hit it. Screen would go dark and stutter and he was yelling at me that I was loving him up with it.

I guess I'll need to mess around more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stefan Prodan posted:

I feel like if you are playing at technical character, the single tap shots seem like they can be worth doing sometimes?

Peach can put some extremely hard to get shots out there with the single taps, but on the other hand they're slow so anyone good at trick shots can probably still get them

Has anyone been able to make serve and volley work, or like net play in general? I feel like it's way too easy to get lobbed and it's too hard to like get any extreme angles from playing at the net, it just seems like mostly a negative to try and play up

Boo loving dies if you play the net so you can be pretty successful there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah the more points =/= more skill thing is super dumb and wrong and it actually means a lot and it's hilariously dumb to think otherwise

More points doesn't mean a person is undefeatable but if you told me to bet on the guy with 10k playing bowser jr vs the guy with 400-500 playing was Toad I'd kinda go with the 10k dude winning

At some point it WILL stop mattering most likely but at that difference? Naah

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://youtu.be/KgA_S_q5oeQ?t=33

Please share this video with your friends

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Story mode is pretty easy outside the rally stuff that just destroys me for whatever reason. That said I saw some people gettin mad at blooper and figured this winning tactic of mine might help

https://twitter.com/ThisIsACoolGuy/status/1011044687740788736

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shameful admission that while I'm good at rallies I'm a insanely jumpy guy so it's *absurdly* easy to get a service ace on me. Like to the point my cheeks are red and I hang my head in shame half the time I'm playing.

When it's against bots it's fine but iunno, playing against others puts a weird amount of self inflected pressure.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if removing trick shots as a whole would improve the game. It stops players from just forever spamming to get full meter and it fixes stuff like Jr's "literally fly across the entire map" problem because it doesn't exist.

You can already slow time if you have to so like, would there be anything lost?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I swear I'm not bad at video games... but holy poo poo I suck at this game.

I'm just doing the single player campaign stuff to get a hang of the game before I get owned online but the piranha 20 shot thing took me forever. I kept breaking my racket on the charged shots. It seems I am always too early. I did the first 200 volley level in one try... but everything else seems to take me forever. :( Maybe I''ll get better :(

Stick with it! I believe in you!!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:siren: I discovered the cause of the controls bug :siren:

This is the stupidest poo poo ever and you will quickly realize there's nothing you can do. When you go into a online match motion controls are decided by the host. If they have it turned on you're forced to have it on too. If it's turned off it'll be off for you as well. Just confirmed it with a friend and just laughing at how insane that is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also it should be Toadsworth

He passed away though :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I know a lot of people (myself included) are excited for Kamek but I'm actually getting more hyped for Boom Boom. His running animation is the best in the entire game and that's enough for me.

kidcoelacanth posted:

what thef uck

It was old age. Sad but at least he had a full life :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anidav posted:

Nah there's some tricky people out there. :tinfoil:

Blooper doesn't come out until later

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Play Simple mode

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I can't believe bowsers terrible son is being killed on a tennis court for everyone to see

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haven't played in awhile, is Blooper still the unlock or did he get cycled out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh wait this thread is back :psyduck:

I'm confused.