Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

soggybagel posted:

Also, its a lot of fun to play this. I'm enjoying it, but anyone have any favorite characters yet? I still like Rosalina a lot.

I've got to try out some more people but Daisy and Mario stood out. I like the all-around characters. Spike is cool too as he's really strong and surprisingly nimble. I tried Toad out, but it seemed like he was just too small to hit things. Classic is awesome and I think I may like it better, but the learning curve is high and I'm OK, but not great at it yet.

My win loss ratio is going to get bigger and in a bad way... Do you need to win a tournament to get a new character or just play in it? We should get a new outfit for the June Tournament or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

this game is pretty bad tbh.

It really isn't quite what I expected. I do think it plays really well for the most part, but I did want a more GBC story mode. But that's ok. I shouldn't have pre-ordered it or paid quite the price they were asking but I do think there's a lot to be had out of the multi-player.

I still have yet to win a tournament. I vastly prefer Classic mode. I got to the semi-finals only to lose to a vastly more experienced Boo. I was playing Chain Chomp, who I can't say I'm really fond of, but CC has some insane coverage. I was returning things I had no business being close to. Still, I had trouble reading him as a power character, everything I hit felt pretty week.

How does one do a proper smash shot in this game? Before there were stars you could run up to them and smash a ball for a good powerful shot, but I can't consistently pull it off. And what's the R button Leap shot all about?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

For everyone frustrated with the regular game and broken characters, I really suggest Classic Mode. It's harder to pull off such bullshit there. It's way more strategic since you have to unbalance your opponent via a serious of lobs and dropshots and requires a bit more finesse, but it eliminates the insta-return of Zone Speed and trick shots, which I find pretty nice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scags posted:

What's the consensus on this game? I love Mario Tennis but I have no IRL friends and I heard the online was terrible.

I kind of regret my purchase, but not that much. I'd recommend buying second-hand or for cheap if possible. Ultimately try to get it physical so you can trade it in if necessary. I got it digital and that's that. I"ll come to enjoy it once I get Hollow Knight and Splatoon out of my system.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still can't get into Standard Mode. I like the simplicity and skill of Classic Mode. As it is, I think I'm going to stick the the All-Arounds; Power characters are too slow for me (or have no curve on their swings, excepting Bowser); Speedy too weak; Boo's OK if a bit slow, but I can't figure out Rosalina's serve; Peach is fine but weak; I actually really like the defensive characters, particularly Waluigi, Jr is again a tad slow.

I can't really choose between the 3 all-arounds but I'll alternate until I stay on one. Is there not a Stats page anywhere? You'd think that'd be important information to have.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

I wanna do goon doubles but I live in the UK. I assume the group congregates in the Nintengoobs discord but how do I know when they’re happening?

I'm in France. I'd be happy to doubles. PM your friend-code and we'll work something out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well Daisy got me to my first Classic Championship final. Beat two Boos and a Rosalina on the way. The Semi-final was the best match against another Daisy. I lost to a Jr who had over 20k points compared to my measly 1000 points. Match-making is not at its finest yet. I felt pretty good all through out dominating some less experienced players (the first Boo and Rosalina) and having a great match with nice rallies with the other Daisy.

I don't want to jump on the Jr bandwagon of hate, but it's really telling that somethings not right. He never has to break form, ever. He barely floats left or right and hits every ball back with charge and desired direction. I got one point in and I think that was an error on his part. It was a bit frustrating.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Almost beat a mildly incompetent Jr. That they never break form is an ace in the hole for sure. I think Daisy's my girl. A bit weaker than the Mario Bros, but I love her jaunty victory skip.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wendell posted:

Wow, I love the way Troopa moves!

Yeah it's really cool, and the floatiness does add some challenge to using them, the best of the speedies.

I really like the nuances in the game. How Koopa has a particularly good drop ball. Daisy has slightly better reach, and is faster compared to the other two all-arounds, but she's weaker. Her slice is somewhat better than her top-spin, which is the contrary to Luigi, who has a mean top-spin but a mediocre slice.

I don't really enjoy standard gameplay. I think it's mainly because I'm absolute garbage at trick shots and at correctly blocking zone shots. I know it's a matter of practice, but it still feels a bit too gimmicky. I far prefer classic mode, you still get the arcadey fun, but it's less forgiving on positioning and I like the technique it demands.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like it only works when organised. I'd be curious to find out what percentage of people play Standard versus Simple. I'm pretty much only ever on simple.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

I've been playing Simple mode and I keep getting wrecked by my own lob shots.

Whenever an opponent has to run back and break form to return a lob it sends another lob back to my half of the court, but no matter how long I charge any of my shots I always return a wimpy little tap shot that travels at like five miles an hour and gets slammed back into my face.

So what's the actual play I need to be doing here?

As in you have a star point appearing in your court? You're going to want to SMASH the gently caress out of it. Go back, position yourself well in the star and Flat Shot it (left button, purple trail). You'll generate a powerful overhand Smash that will fling the ball fast into the other side. Slicing or top-spinning will get you nothing special.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I finally had a nice Simple tournament, even though there were two Waluigi's in it, which I managed to beat nonetheless. I got to the final against a Mario, hosed up my first game, but I managed to win the second break point. And then I choked. I don't know why but I keep losing the control of the ball and then flat shots down the line invariably get me.

It's true Adventure mode prepares you for Standard. I think I've managed to better understand trick shotting, and it's absurd. I'm only on the Snow Orge (what's with that name?), and I keep losing time on the ice sections but I should beat it in a few other attempts. I think I'll try a standard tournament soon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have to admit this game has raised in my esteem since my initial disappointment. It's still a bit steep for what it is at 60 euro, but it really does play so well. It's incredibly satisfying all told.

The big squid is proving a tad tough. I keep running out of time, despite not losing time on him, I don't quite know what I can be doing faster. I probably have to more successfully block his attacks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I had one of the most ridiculous matchs as Toadette v Chain Chomp. The moment I shattered his last racket the game froze and there was a communication error. I'm assuming that's a rage quit. Hopefully that Switch didn't get destroyed! :ohdear:

I'm impressed you manage to play Toadette! Both the mushroom's height really works against them, but at least Toad is faster.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Whoever designed and okayed trick shots should never be involved in the creation of another game mechanic for as long as they live.

Trick shots are going to be my breaking point that makes me never play this game again. :(\

Also the music that plays while matchmaking would not be out of place in Pokemon.

You should really play Simple Mode. It's a tight arcadey tennis game with none of the bullshit attached.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fair enough. Maybe try joining them if you can't beat them? Trick shot your way to victory? I'm pretty sure the cheapness of the ability is a feature and not a bug. The developer imagined people flipping around the field returning balls before swatting them with ridiculous specials, it definitely makes sense given the visual appeal of the move.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Without Trick Shots it's pretty much the GBA game with the special moves. Those were fun to use and collect.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

eightysixed posted:

Yeah, this is brutal. I'm totally stuck here as well. I wonder if doing Kamek is even worth it. In any event, if anyone has any pointers, that'd be great :yaycloud:

Beat him on my third try. It's really simple if you use BACK trick shots. Essentially when he hits the ball when it lands in your court just hit the right stick back, even when it's deflected you'll zone in out it automatically. Don't use trick shots if the Ball has no color streak, because it won't bounce back far at all, but then it should be easy enough to hit. I'd be careful with certain star points as well, but you'll figure it out fast enough.

Seriously trick shot back and you'll be hitting pretty much everything and you'll learn what you won't be able to hit, which you can easily hit otherwise.

Trick shots are broken as gently caress. It doesn't even matter where you attempt to return it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I honestly can't laterally trick shot to save my life, but back trick shotting is super easy and it builds meter like nobodies business. If I ever missed it was because I trick shotted for a hit that went short, which is why if it hasn't got a streak just hit it. Even if it's diverted it's moving slow enough to catch with zone speed in the worst case scenario.

Also, play simple mode a bit and learn positioning, it's really useful and you'll find you're never too far away from the ball when necessary.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I beat story mode without the retry button. It was hell. HELL!

It's not so bad, the worst I had was Boo rally, but once I figured how to Trick shot to victory no match had more than 3 retries, the obligatory story matches I'd pretty much beat on the first try.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DuhSal posted:

Blooper nearly broke me but once I decided to try and break his rackets for a ko it wasn't too bad. Make sure you're getting enough charge in your shots and don't necessarily aim right at him for the zone shots 'cause he'll just move out of the way but aim near him so he tries for it and breaks/goes too early.

Edit: I also avoided hitting cross court to avoid the mast when possible.

Alternatively drop shot to the win.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is a good dumb game. It's stressful and fun.

I got to the semi-finals, something I don't do often, playing for the first time with Blooper. Weird guy with a strong top-spin. Not someone I'm going to stick with. I had a strong first game where we battle for the server's game point against a Mario in that semi, I eventually lost and he clowned me to get his Break point match point. I love how you can do something so well for a bit and then it all falls apart. I suppose it captures real tennis in that way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yep net play is important, but be wary of lobs, on pretty much any surface but clay you should be able to catch them after the bounce. You can drop shot him effectively because Boo's gotta play deep to get the most of their curves (same with Bloopers, can't say for Rosalina), and since he's got less of a range on his dives it's easy to beat him.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is Birdo the character for the month? Is there a new outfit/mini-game? The Boo thing... was a thing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know it's not the answer you want, but I'd love to but not tonight.

Just so you know that the community is still somewhat existant.

Friend code: SW-5181-2261-0743

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

We have spent most of the weekend teetering at 3 players. Doubles is so fun in this game, just sucks that its such a pain to get people together for it and that playing with anything less than 4 is a horrible horrible time.

drat... yeah it's already 11 pm over here in Western Europe and I've still got loads of papers to correct. But if we can coordinate something in the future I'd be more than happy to even out numbers. With the little chat app the game really livens up too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Interesting. I'd like to go back to it but it takes so long to find matches.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can never find a match in simple mode so I do standard more often much to my disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Glad Daisy is still great. Though, I'd like them to make an alt costume for her. Just a simple tennis outfit with a visor instead of the crown.