Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Shyguys are great.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1011440458558369792?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

If a zone shot didn't damage your racket on a botched block, what would be the point of spending meter on it, instead of just using that star for a star shot, which also can be really hard to return and leave people in a bad position if they botch the return.

Also, if all trick shots burned meter, why would you ever use them over zone speed, considering the way that late trick shots burned meter is by forcing you into zone speed? They would do functionally the same thing at that point, and zone speed let's you pick what shot you're going to do, while trick shots don't.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I have a Public Service Announcement for everyone in the thread: If you are playing Doubles, if you want to have a good time, do whatever you can to avoid having an AI in the game. The AI is uniformly awful, to the point where if you do have to have an AI, you basically need to agree to not try to break their racket.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

I wanna do goon doubles but I live in the UK. I assume the group congregates in the Nintengoobs discord but how do I know when they’re happening?

Yes, we are on the Nintengoons discord, and generally someone will ask in the Tennis channel if people want to play doubles. The person that asks can even be you! It might cause others in your time zone to speak up as well.

What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to ask if people want to play, because a game of doubles with voice chat is great (except when the AI's involved).

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think it's that you're bad at doubles, it's just that Kirios is really good and that I'm above average.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I know I'm going to sound like an rear end, but if you're getting Service Aces as a Boo, that means your opponent doesn't know how to deal with a Boo.

Now for something more helpful, if you're having trouble putting someone away and winning the point, try mixing up the shot types you're using. For instance, you can lure them to the net with a drop shot, then launch a lovely over them, or if you've been using slices for most of the volley, use a flat shot to throw them off balance. With Boo, you basically have to be able to predict what their likely response is, and then hit your shot so as to counter it. Yes, your shots have an absurd curve to them, but if you let your opponent dictate the pace of play, that curve means nothing. A defensive character basically means that you lose unless they're really bad, and a well played speedy character just won't care about your curve and will chase the ball down anyways.

My biggest tip, as I said before, is to vary your shot types and to not be predictable.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Might I recommend coming onto the discord? We are more than willing to help you get better, and goon doubles is really fun, as well.

The discord server is https://discord.gg/4kvqfNR. Come say hi!

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

No, as far as I know, all countering does is keep you from getting knocked back as far.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chain Chomp's celebration is amazing if you like spinning in circles, because it looks like he's chasing his tail.

Yoshi, meanwhile, goes just as fast when he celebrates as when he's playing, which is great in its own right.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Anidav posted:

Toadette is secretly really good. She has the blue shots of a tricky character, the speed of yoshi, the angles of hell and really and I mean really is good at catching people off guard. No one expects her to return so well. I would argue she is an all rounder in disguise.

But Toadette doesn't have the speed of Yoshi? Not by a long shot? Also, her trick shots kind of suck, which, if you're playing standard, is a factor in how good a character is.

Also, her having next to no reach is really bad.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just wish they would remove energy gain from trick shots altogether. You shouldn't be rewarded for being out of place on the court.

So what you're actually saying is that you want trick shots removed from the game, because that's basically what would happen if you removed energy gain from trick shots.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

No? They'd be "oh poo poo" buttons that cost meter, as they should be so you can't do them whenever you feel like it and get rewarded for being in the wrong place on the court.

Cojawfee posted:

The gain of a trick shot is that you were on the wrong side of the court. You shouldn't be rewarded for poor placement.

They aren't rewarding you for poor placement, though. They're rewarding you for being able to hard read your opponent because they're predictable. When you actually are using a trick shot when you're out of position, they burn meter, just like zone speed. What you both are actually advocating for is the removal of trick shots from the game, because if you removed energy gain from them, there is no point to use them when you have zone speed.

Also, if you don't like trick shots, play Simple.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I personally hate simple, because I went into the game expecting and hoping for magical super power tennis bullshit and got what I wanted.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Boo's lunge is actually hot trash, since it causes him to have no reach otherwise, which means a lot of broken form returns, which are extremely easy to punish.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, oh my.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You see, in the game mode I play, Boo is trash.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

eightysixed posted:

I still really like Yoshi :yayclod:

Yoshi is great and still really strong, because he can still be wherever he feels like, whenever he feels like being there.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I didn't realize this thread was live again.

Trash Boos are still the most fun to play against, because they don't know how to handle people actually being able to return their serves.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is Birdo the character for the month? Is there a new outfit/mini-game? The Boo thing... was a thing.

Yes, and the new mini-game starts either the 11th or 12th.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone want to play some goon doubles?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pWv4zqSQ17o The first three characters for 2019.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

New update is out. There's a doubles tournament now, with a different character reward than singles, and a new Co-Op Challenge, Yoshi Ring Shot.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Trip Report: The Doubles Tournament is amazing, and should have been in the game at launch. Get in voice with a friend, and things become very easy, especially since I don't think most people have played Doubles.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Rude, you would've missed, as well.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Doubles tournaments are really good, you guys.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1069012430028660736?s=20

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

https://twitter.com/nephzinho/status/1069322241714774016

Everyone should be playing doubles tourney.

Yes, that is a racket break and a body shot at the same time. This was also a crazy 20 minute match.

It also ended on the double whammy of a KO on Match Point.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Playing Doubles with Waluigi as a partner has taught me that there's a guitar strum at the beginning of his special shot.

Also, see this: https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1069943750934245376?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Tennis good:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1089059601830404104?s=20