Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the way good players play this is so different from the way I'd instinctively play it haha

I got my rear end beat by some dude who did trick shots on every point, but like he'd wait for the ball to go behind him and do a trick shot backwards or something

And I thought ok he's really far back I can just do drop shots but he was able to get back up to them with, you guessed it, trick shots lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Boo Rally is only intermediate

God I can't wait to see what they consider expert

It took my wife and me like more than an hour to beat that one taking turns so don't feel bad lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
THIS 400 HIT RALLY THING AGAINST KAMEK WITH THE FUCKIN SHIP MAST

IS THE WORST

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

I like to take this moment to say gently caress you to whomever thought of this challenge and the stupid stage concept. The mast is literally one of the most loving annoying things to deal with and trying to rally with a tricky character like Kamek is hard enough as is.

WE DID IT

gently caress YOU KAMEK

I'M NEVER GOING ON A BOAT NOW

I HAVE MAST RELATED PTSD

(took us like 2 hours to beat probably lol)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh wow I hadn't thought about it yet but this game is really bad for colorblindness isn't it

they make a different sound too

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've gotten to round 3 a couple times but no tourney wins, amazed you guys won some already! You must all be better than me, haha

I've mostly just been playing as Mario and Luigi though maybe they are bad

I also don't really use trick shots, and I keep like running over to stars with barely enough meter to do a zone shot, but then accidentally hit the button too soon so I just run out of meter and the ball just bounces off of me and I look like a fuckin idiot

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

You’ll get better, Stefan!

I haven't played multi very much yet, I'm going through single player with my wife who hasn't played a tennis game before so I'm getting her up to speed so we can do doubles and stuff :3

She's really into fighting games so I think she likes it so far which I'm glad, I think it's a lot of fun EXCEPT FOR KAMEK gently caress YOU KAMEK

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I hope they add like that, more customization as far as game lengths (like 6 game sets for home or however many you want), and a matchmaking-based singles ladder

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone figured out how exactly everyone is different yet or are people still messing with everyone?

Like, how is Luigi different from Mario etc

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I feel like if you are playing at technical character, the single tap shots seem like they can be worth doing sometimes?

Peach can put some extremely hard to get shots out there with the single taps, but on the other hand they're slow so anyone good at trick shots can probably still get them

Has anyone been able to make serve and volley work, or like net play in general? I feel like it's way too easy to get lobbed and it's too hard to like get any extreme angles from playing at the net, it just seems like mostly a negative to try and play up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Won the tourney a 2nd time, feels good. There's a dude on the leaderboard who hasn't lost yet with 276 straight wins :stare:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It still does that

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just try to focus on doing back trick shots at first, those are by far the easiest to do and gain meter instead of spend it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just had a great match with someone double my ranking. Lots of even rallies, zone shot battles, pushing and pulling on the court. Feeling good about the game again.

Thinking like this is a fighting game -- are there any good Twitch streamers to watch? Preferably non-racist with a normal speaking voice

Quizzle is really good but he streams on youtube instead of twitch

c_m0 is also really good at the game and pretty chill and answers questions quickly

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol so I played with like mario and luigi and peach and poo poo to get used to non broken characters and I only won like 60% today or something and then I played a tournament as bowser jr and won the whole thing without conceding a single point

he's so completely broken

edit: experiencing similar success with waluigi now. getting used to characters with no reach just makes the defensive characters feel unbeatable

also the running up and holding trick stick back on serves thing seems to work like mostly with other characters but almost every time with waluigi and junior to where I'll just do it every time and it feels really unfair

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 30, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
btw if you have time to charge up against a drop shot, I believe top spin is the best shot to use as far as like what returns the best shot

(I mean don't do anything 100% of the time but you know what I'm saying)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I still the only one that constantly runs into people blatantly cheating? 50% of the time I end up matched up against someone that's doing poo poo like returning every single shot with a special.

you mean an actual special or a trick shot?

i'm going to reserve judgment but I haven't seen anyone that looks like they're cheating and suspect you may need to git gud

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The actual specials that require 100% meter and play a long animation.

then yeah I guess those people are cheating but I dunno how, I don't do any piracy but I've read the thread about it and it sounds like people get banned pretty quickly for running hax

I guess if you see someone do specials without meter again hold down your screenshot button to take a clip and upload it because i haven't heard of that yet and I've played like 280

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Koopa Troopa seems pretty good, I think his drop shot charges like twice as fast as everyone else's or something, you get the dead stop drop shots very fast

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume the function it's supposed to fulfill is like a coinflip in fighting games. Since you can't cover the whole court at once (unless you're Bowser Jr.) the trick shot is supposed to be a hard read, that is, you're claiming that you know where your opponent will aim before they actually hit it. The energy boost is supposed to balance the fact that if you're wrong, you lose the point.

As long as the timing actually works out like that I am OK with it

Edit: Also who is the high-ranking NA player that did some streams with Peach, someone mentioned them in the Switch thread, was it one of the people posted before

sunseeds?

J_miller also isn't NA but mains peach and has like a 95+ winrate or something

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's already started

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Quick tip I got a lot better since I have started like automatically using zone speed if I see someone get a full charge off. Just realize that like if they are able to get a full charge, you already hosed up and to do damage control you do have to use just a little bit of zone speed. Use the least you can to determine where the ball is going and get to it and that will also make sure you do the right type of shot to return it so you don't get knocked back a huge amount, or you can do a trick shot if you want to not give them a star. By doing this you can avoid getting snowballed on where they just keep knocking you out of form over and over and building up huge meter, which is an advantage that can translate into multiple points. If you have enough meter you can also get your own max charge off, and start putting them on the back foot instead if they don't counter with their own meter (a lot of people won't)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have found that like if you can train yourself to occasionally use the single X for things like returning lobs at the net or returning special shots as drops, those are unique situations where a single X tap is best, but I usually use BA/AB also

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The problem is there are a lot of situations where you can position yourself such that like I dunno how but you can like be around the net and get both lobs and drop shots successfully by just holding back on the stick so there's like no way to actually get anything past them, or at least this is how it seemed to me against a couple people that pulled it off

One thing I will say that seems to work is like fully charged lob shots will get around them better, sometimes it's ok to use a little bit of meter to make sure you get a fully charged shot off so that you can regain control of the momentum of the match and make them have to hard read instead of getting set up for these kinds of guaranteed trick shots

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 3, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
cant believe nintendo is deadnaming birdetta in 2018