Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I feel like this game deserves more credit for its visuals. Some of the courts are really pretty and the character models are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That blooper boss is fun as hell. I can see how he may be difficult if you don’t have trick shots down though. I thought it would be a lot harder from all the complaints I see. I’m having more trouble with the Kamek stage right after.

Popete posted:

So whats the correct way to block zone shots? Just use zone speed all the time?

They’re not too bad to block without once you get the timing down. Return them right when the ball is close to your character. Only use zone speed when it looks like they’re going to be out of reach.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 25, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scags posted:

What's the consensus on this game? I love Mario Tennis but I have no IRL friends and I heard the online was terrible.

The online is great. It was terrible in the demo because of lag issues that the full game fixed. There is a fighting game like learning curve to this game so if you’re the kinda person that gets angry at being owned instead of using it as a learning experience then I’d skip it.

There is single player that’s okay with but it serves more as a tutorial for online.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

leftist heap posted:

The game feels super rushed. The core mechanics are pretty good but man literally everything else is super bare bones. Pretty much all the UI needs a round of polish and has way too many pointless dialogs.

I disagree. They literally released an alpha of this game on Wii U as a full release for the same price.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any tips for the Kamek rallying challenge? The mast keeps loving me up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hoard special meter and use special shots as bailouts when there's a weird slice or an unexpected bounce off the mast.

Kamek hits a bunch of weak shots so you should be able to charge up quickly

I still can’t do it. I beat the blooper boss second try but can’t do this one.:argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks for the tips on the Kamek challenge. I’ll try again today.

Yeah, I still love the game and I’m hopeful they’ll rebalance the more lovely aspects.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Neutron posted:

19 years of nothing but tennis and golf games :psyduck:

They’ve been all pretty good except for a few so good on them. Use that 20 years of skill on Mario Golf HD next.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This game is getting a patch on the 29th. Don’t have full details yet but one of thing it’s changing apparently is the ranking system. Hopefully there’s some balancing as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Version 1.1.1
Changes to Online Tournaments
The “Rating” feature will be added to the game on July 1, 2018. Ratings scores will start at 2,000 and go up after scoring points and go down when losing points in matches. It is a score that shows how strong the player is. (The in-game ranking board will continue to be based on Total Points.)
In cases where there is a disconnection during a match, ratings will go up or down based on the score in that match at that time.
When there is great discrepancy between players in ability, a player’s rating may not go up even if they win.
Changes to missions in Adventure mode
Forest Practice Court: We have adjusted how often the opponent uses Zone Shots.
Forest Edge: We have adjusted how quickly the opponent responds to shots.
Reflection Room: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Royal Chamber: We have adjusted how much Energy is refilled.
Other changes
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of settings not aligning with Options settings when starting a match.
Online Tournament: We have addressed an issue of the game freezing when pressing certain buttons after there is a communication error.
There will be further adjustments to game balance in matches and character performance.”

Sounds like they fixed the host gyro control bug. I’m glad they realize some characters are broken and sounds like that’s being dealt with next. A good update.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love how shocked the crowd gets when you break a racket.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer standard but I decided to stick to simple online until the game balances characters and trick shots better.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m sticking with simple online until they balance poo poo. It just gets frustrating and unfun as I make my way to championships in standard with all the Bowser Jrs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

Standard mode with trick shots turned off is basically the perfect t Mario Tennis game.

Also the patch notes says there is character balancing but I see no such thing.

The patch notes say character balancing is coming later. It hasn’t been implemented yet

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anidav posted:

You get a star next to your name like in Mario Kart

Really?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eightysixed posted:

To piggy-back off of your woes I CANNOT block a power shot to save my life. Over half my losses are because of broken rackets :suicide:

Slow down time when they’re coming for you or just walk away so they just score instead of breaking your racket.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wildtortilla posted:

Agreed. Which is one of the reasons Tennis and I have an upcoming date with the game store to turn it into funds for Octopath. I really liked this game until a multitude of annoyances got between me and the fun. :(

It sounds like they’re fixing most of the annoyances so maybe wait a bit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve been enjoying simple too but I’m jumping back into standard after that patch drops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This patch is very good. I’m not sure it fixed everything but it seems like it after getting a tournament win even facing people still playing Bowser Jr.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

http://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/a...%81%84%E3%80%82

Big patch is dropping 8/1 and by using Google translate, it sounds like a lot of characters are getting buffs while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are getting nerfed. They’re also making it so you can do quick retries in adventure mode and aren’t just kicked to the world map when you fail.

Camelot deserves a lot of credit for basically fixing just about every issue I had with the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EightFlyingCars posted:

The update is live, boys and girls! Go get it!

Here’s the English patch notes: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29137/~/how-to-update-mario-tennis-aces

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What does fully charging a drop shot do? I haven’t even thought of doing that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Deltron 3030 posted:

If you don't run around like a maniac to celebrate after every point you win in online matches, then I don't want to know you.

Daisy is the best character for this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s right. Thanks for correcting me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

iajanus posted:

Still never understood why people post ban me threads

I did so in LUE on GameFaqs a long time ago since I felt like those forums were really ugly and I wanted to force myself to not hate browse. It was a good decision.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

New update is up.These all seem like great changes and additions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Birdo is definitely going to be my new main.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Having more than just the stadium in tournament mode is a fantastic change. I’d get bored of playing online just because it was always that stage.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Edit: apparently bullshit.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 15, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

It was a hoax.

Lame. Thanks for letting me know.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer standard since it makes the game feel like a flashy fighting game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chaotic Flame posted:

First tournament back after not playing for months and won the tournament. I forgot how fun this game is. It's definitely a fighting game in all but name.

Looks like a lot of things have changed though. How do you get costumes? Is it just participating a lot or can you only get the one costume listed?

They’re usually monthly tournament rewards if you get a certain amount of points in a month. I’m sure they’ll recycle the ones for months you missed or offer other ways to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any kind of pro scene for this game? Would be interesting to watch some higher level play.