Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
what an unhype thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

what an unhype thread

This is the Slow Thread, please go here for your hype and speedposting needs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3861147

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So did randomizer not go over well? There’s no SM race at the end either, just 100% map completion on Wednesday.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I'm sure it's more of a "don't wanna wear it out too fast" more than a "didn't go over well", when it comes to rando. They're doing OoT Bingo instead which is like a precursor of sorts to Zelda rando hacks.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

There's an OOT rando now as well which I'm sure is going to show up in the winter GDQ

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'd imagine randomisers are also a lot less friendly to viewers unfamiliar with the game in question. It's hard enough for commentators to explain what's going on in a speedrun when they know precisely what happens next.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feldegast42 posted:

There's an OOT rando now as well which I'm sure is going to show up in the winter GDQ

OoT Rando is really long, I'm not sure it's a great category for GDQ.

And I really enjoy OoT Rando.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, please don't fret too much if you don't see certain "iconic" games or formats in a GDQ. Rest assured that if something takes off, it will make its way into a GDQ eventually.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a FF4 Free Enterprise race in a future GDQ, or RPG Limit Break, for example.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

$100k passed! :toot:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Early rec for the Shantae and the Pirate's Curse race between JTNorimaki and TinaHacks

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Would it be possible to add the estimated time for each run in the up next and on deck list on the stream?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wonder if covertmuffin's stream is more low-key than his GDQ appearances. I can't imagine anyone keeping up that level of energy for more than two hours.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
On a similar note to the randomizers. I'm sure they'll do this someday, but for now I'm sad to not see procedurally generated games at GDQ (Terraria and Minecraft). Obviously they have to be specially handled but if done right by the right players it could be an incredible showcase of skill as they react to what the map gives them.

Show us a four-player race for Terraria or Minecraft. To control how long it takes and fight the randomness you just have to carefully select the task; "beating the game" is probably not the one you want. Maybe wait for everyone to beat the first Terraria boss or reach the Nether on different maps, not the same seed. The viewers can then focus on whichever player is interesting at the time, which will be naturally staggered out as one player gets a lucky draw and beats the challenge first while the players with a lovely boring map slowly get their poo poo together and become fun to watch by the end. The announcer can explain what each player is encountering and what they must be thinking.

It's not impossible to make Terraria and Minecraft runs work, it just requires a little extra constraints and creativity.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 25, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They did try doing a Binding of Isaac race and it was absolutely awful :v:

Of course, they also decided to not use the same seed despite the game specifically having that feature built in.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dumb Lowtax posted:

On a similar note to the randomizers. I'm sure they'll do this someday, but for now I'm sad to not see procedurally generated games at GDQ (Terraria and Minecraft). Obviously they have to be specially handled but if done right by the right players it could be an incredible showcase of skill as they react to what the map gives them.

Show us a four-player race for Terraria or Minecraft. To control how long it takes and fight the randomness you just have to carefully select the task; "beating the game" is probably not the one you want. Maybe wait for everyone to beat the first Terraria boss or reach the Nether on different maps. The viewers can then focus on whichever player is interesting at the time, which will be naturally staggered out as one player gets a lucky draw and beats the challenge first while the players with a lovely boring map slowly get their poo poo together and become fun to watch by the end. The announcer can explain what each player is encountering and what they must be thinking.

It's not impossible to make Terraria and Minecraft runs work, it just requires a little forethought and creativity.

They actually had Minecraft at a GDQ before, and I think it was received positively? I remember thinking it was good, anyway.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
You could maybe use the same seed for everyone but then it gets weird; what if the one seed sucks and makes everyone grind, and also, what happens when a player discovers treasure somewhere? How do you keep the other players from finding out from the commotion and immediately diverting their route for it, or maybe you would actually want that?

I can't remember any details from their showing Minecraft the other years so I'll watch it again. If they didn't make it a multi-player race they should have. I'm saying I hope they add Terraria and become a recurring part of GDQ and over time and repetition they refine their organizational skills at how to present a random game.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 25, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

You could maybe use the same seed for everyone but then it gets weird; what if the one seed sucks and makes everyone grind, and also, what happens when a player discovers treasure somewhere? How do you keep the other players from finding out from the commotion and immediately diverting their route for it, or maybe you would actually want that?
Have someone other than the runners pre-select a decent seed? Also I really don't get this "what about screen-peeking" argument that they used for the BoI race. We solved that poo poo when we were like 7 years old playing Mario Kart splitscreen. Crowd cheers and whatnot won't do anything to tell the runners where, how or what happened.

Doing separate seeds of any randomized game will just never be interesting. The runner that got the best RNG won, big woop :geno:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
uhhhh what was the solution though?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm watching the newest Minecraft run and they had one single guy playing, no race, and he was using a set seed he already knew by heart. That is so boring. Maybe it's interesting to see the map itself and how hosed up and weird it must be to place all the items you need so close to the beginning, but the skill of finding that map isn't shown to the audience, we only see one guy mechanically going through it with no surprises at all.

I want surprises. Race and give them all a random seed, maybe the same or not, there's reasons for either way but it must be random to deliver interesting surprises. It creates suspense and tension for the audience and they would be way more into each moment. You don't hear the audience reacting at all during that guy's boring mechanical run through a Minecraft map he had already explored and couldn't fail at. That's because they're asleep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

uhhhh what was the solution though?
a piece of cardboard

but presumably these people aren't playing on the same screen, so literally just rotate them and you solved the "problem" of screen-peeking. Also for christ's sake this is for charity, just don't screen-peek.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

it must be random to deliver interesting surprises..
I do agree with this though, running a seed you already know is boring. Whether it's a race or solo, it's way cooler if the runner(s) don't know the seed and have to react to stuff in real time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Like I said, I thought it was a good run. Then again, my expectations were probably pretty absurdly low. :shrug:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Your Computer posted:

a piece of cardboard

but presumably these people aren't playing on the same screen, so literally just rotate them and you solved the "problem" of screen-peeking. Also for christ's sake this is for charity, just don't screen-peek.

Presumably the players can hear the announcer and talk back to them. And they'd go "wait what? so-and-so has what already? and probably found it where?" and now they have to act upon it, it's kind of a weird situation. Maybe good, maybe not, maybe needs special adjustments.

\/\/ Yeah that could be one way to solve it but now the players can't really converse with the audience anymore unless they're maybe unknowingly talking over the announcer who's saying something at the same time

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Presumably the players can hear the announcer and talk back to them. And they'd go "wait what? so-and-so has what already? and probably found it where?" and now they have to act upon it, it's kind of a weird situation

Noise cancelling headphones exist.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Presumably the players can hear the announcer and talk back to them. And they'd go "wait what? so-and-so has what already? and probably found it where?" and now they have to act upon it, it's kind of a weird situation. Maybe good, maybe not, maybe needs special adjustments.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There are good reasons why Isaac Races are typically run seedless, but none of them apply to a marathon showcase setting at all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm watching the newest Minecraft run and they had one single guy playing, no race, and he was using a set seed he already knew by heart. That is so boring. Maybe it's interesting to see the map itself and how hosed up and weird it must be to place all the items you need so close to the beginning, but the skill of finding that map isn't shown to the audience, we only see one guy mechanically going through it with no surprises at all.

I want surprises. Race and give them all a random seed, maybe the same or not, there's reasons for either way but it must be random to deliver interesting surprises. It creates suspense and tension for the audience and they would be way more into each moment. You don't hear the audience reacting at all during that guy's boring mechanical run through a Minecraft map he had already explored and couldn't fail at. That's because they're asleep.

You might be interested in the Mario Maker blind race on the final day.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
OOOOhhh yes you bet I am, I fell in love last time they did it already, thanks for recommending it though

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been at work all day, any good runs I miss so far?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

They're all been quite good, actually.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Pretend I posted this. I didn't realize there was a slow thread.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Pretend I posted this. I didn't realize there was a slow thread.

:thumbsup:

I'm pulling good images from the chat thread as we go and putting them in here. Everyone should do so!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

oldskool posted:

Early rec for the Shantae and the Pirate's Curse race between JTNorimaki and TinaHacks

Rirse posted:

This. Great race, neat little game.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Majora's Mask hasn't wrapped yet but this run is fantastic, really cool tricks and the time is just flying by. After the first 20 minutes of cutscenes.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

McFrugal posted:

That can't be right. The any% no rng manipulation world record is over 5 hours.

DW Randomizer rebalances stuff using the SNES/GBA remake values, so there's a lot less time spent grinding (though still a fair amount, depending on the seed) and more time frantically searching the map for the one cave you haven't found. A run takes between 90-120 minutes usually, depending on how bad the starting area is and how the stats are spread across the levelups.

As much as I love watching people race it, it's not something I think would be good at a GDQ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think he looks forward to GDQs so he can ham it up in front of the camera.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
they cut the doom run out before the final cutscene so we didn't get to watch doomguy kill capitalism :saddowns:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, Doctors Without Borders is a pro-NATO NGO, makes sense.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Thanks to forums moderator VideoGames for stickying the threads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kid Kool was fast and fun with a good commentary. (and a special incentive added by Brossentia)

• Locked thread