Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Nobody ever talks about the Silly Game block, was it not that good this year?

Also did I miss anything inbetween Super Empire Strikes Back and Kirby? I know Hob is one I want to go back to watching later.

I thought I did? It was really solid. I didn't catch the earlier stuff (Celeste, Hat in Time) but from Pepsiman onwards the Silly block was really great. You had Getting over it (<- source for av) and especially Miner ultra Adventures with Konasumi & Stilt fella which was also great. Roundabout was fun but Studio's cutscene% was better a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rirse posted:

Nobody ever talks about the Silly Game block, was it not that good this year?

Also did I miss anything inbetween Super Empire Strikes Back and Kirby? I know Hob is one I want to go back to watching later.

Silly Games were all great!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think one of the big problems with DOOM as a run is that it's... the same run every time they do it. That in and of itself isn't bad, per se, but it's sort of tarnishes the appeal when it's a game that's all about blowing up monsters in the most bloody way possible yet most of that gets skipped. The runner this year was a bit more consistent with glory kills than it felt in the past, but beyond that... yup, it's lost a lot of the appeal. Last couple runs you'd have all sorts of donations with "Rip and Tear" and such, but again, didn't feel like it this year. I don't know.

A no OoB run would be great but alas, it seems it's a dead category.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I asked in the chat thread but it got lost, is the FF run tonight likely to be a good watch? I had no interest in FF but loved the FF7 overnight run last time. Trying to decide on plans for tonight.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Loutre posted:

I asked in the chat thread but it got lost, is the FF run tonight likely to be a good watch? I had no interest in FF but loved the FF7 overnight run last time. Trying to decide on plans for tonight.

Yes, puwexil is very good with commentary. Although I think the run is suppose to be All Espers but the schedule lists glitchless any%?

nvm, that is a donation incentive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly the zero mission race was so crazy good. The tricks on display were nuts. Shame about dragonfang's GameCube dying midrun!

Edit: aw, Mr Shasta seems like a real nice fella. Shame about that failed clip that took a few minutes but they got some good banter out of it, and he's doing way better commentating his own race than I'd expect from most folks. Is this his first gdq?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 30, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Loutre posted:

I asked in the chat thread but it got lost, is the FF run tonight likely to be a good watch?

It's not a very interesting game for speedrunning, but the couch commentary will likely be good, so if you're looking for something low-key and relaxing, you could certainly do worse.

Edit: While I feel they still haven't figured out suitable rules for it, the Mario Maker blind race is exactly as entertaining as you'd expect it to be.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 30, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What can I expect from OoT "Bingo mode" ? I take it it's not a normal OoT run?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

TeaJay posted:

What can I expect from OoT "Bingo mode" ? I take it it's not a normal OoT run?

It's OoT, but they have to complete the objectives on one of these cards:
http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

I believe the runner in SGDQ is doing blackout rules for it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Floodkiller posted:

It's OoT, but they have to complete the objectives on one of these cards:
http://www.speedrunslive.com/tools/oot-bingo/

I believe the runner in SGDQ is doing blackout rules for it.

What are blackout rules?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

iospace posted:

What are blackout rules?
Same thing it means in regular bingo: you have to cover the whole card.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Incoherence posted:

Same thing it means in regular bingo: you have to cover the whole card.

He's definitely going for a specific column so it must not mean that

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

https://i.imgur.com/zyA2eOW.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/9jjIAoY.gifv

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 30, 2018

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't usually feel that way, but with DOOM I'm inclined to agree? I wish I liked that run more, if I liked that run more I'd probably do it. But dancing out of bounds for 30 minutes is like, not why anyone likes DOOM.

like mind you, I don't think Any% No OoB or something would be all that interesting for DOOM either? I'm just not convinced it's a super hot speedgame either way.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the glitches used in DOOM, but I think the combination detracts from the watchability of the run as a whole. It's just kind of boring, because you don't really get any of the DOOM experience (frantic fights, good music, cool environments, silly amounts of gore). Compare it to something like Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, which also has some OOB glitching and triggering stuff through walls. BCR2 is still really fun to watch, because even though the glitches save significant amounts of time you still get a lot of elements you expect to see from Bionic Commando.

You may be right that DOOM 2016, despite being an amazing game, is just not a good speedgame for a GDQ.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the glitches used in DOOM, but I think the combination detracts from the watchability of the run as a whole. It's just kind of boring, because you don't really get any of the DOOM experience (frantic fights, good music, cool environments, silly amounts of gore). Compare it to something like Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, which also has some OOB glitching and triggering stuff through walls. BCR2 is still really fun to watch, because even though the glitches save significant amounts of time you still get a lot of elements you expect to see from Bionic Commando.

You may be right that DOOM 2016, despite being an amazing game, is just not a good speedgame for a GDQ.

One hundred percent agree. For a few years they had a sub-five-minute Oblivion run ever year. It was cool to see people glitch the game and teleport to the last boss like, once, but it's more enjoyable in a "I'd watch this on youtube" way rather than "fun to watch this run" enjoyable.

Also, I thought that the Mario Maker run was very well done and I would really, really like to see that become a consistent part of GDQs. I thought I'd hate the 6 minute per level limit, but it worked pretty well; the only thing I'd do differently with that is that instead of ending it at 6 minutes flat, make it some kind of sudden death thing. Also, the "5 seconds bonus" thing was dumb for the last map and wasn't really consequential at all, it should have been X free deaths before the other team started or something.

Loutre posted:

Puwexil is chill as gently caress and knows more about Square games than the developers. It's gonna be a perfect Saturday night end-of-marathon relax stream.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 1, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Good God, this Sent saga is intense. Can't wait for the exciting continuation at AGDQ 2019.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok marathon over except for FFVI which I'm not going to watch

Can't miss runs:
-Cuphead
-A Hat In Time
-Celeste
-The entire TAS block
-Super Mario Maker
-Super Mario Odyssey

P Good runs:
-Shantae
-Ardy Lightfoot
-Super Metroid 100% Map Completion
-Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
-Pepsiman
-Super Mario 64
-Deus Ex
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Super Monkey Ball 2

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 1, 2018

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone has the Annoyed Bird comic with the little bird trying to talk about a sequence break and the crow yelling an anonymous cancer comment, I regret not saving it when I saw it a few days ago.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I only saw a few runs, but classifying what I saw

Awesome commentary, medicore gameplay
Pokemon Red and Yellow - The run itself suffered from bad luck and some poor execution, but the commentary from the couch was fantastic.
Cuphead - The run is basically "LOL, don't need to fight any boss because I can just mash the switch weapon button trololol" but TMR is genuinely entertaining

Solid commentary, good gameplay
Super Mario Bros 1 race
The Mega Man block
Spyro the Dragon
Super Monkey Ball 2

Meh commentary, good gameplay
Tomb Raider

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TMR is awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

I think one of the big problems with DOOM as a run is that it's... the same run every time they do it. That in and of itself isn't bad, per se, but it's sort of tarnishes the appeal when it's a game that's all about blowing up monsters in the most bloody way possible yet most of that gets skipped. The runner this year was a bit more consistent with glory kills than it felt in the past, but beyond that... yup, it's lost a lot of the appeal. Last couple runs you'd have all sorts of donations with "Rip and Tear" and such, but again, didn't feel like it this year. I don't know.

A no OoB run would be great but alas, it seems it's a dead category.

It was pretty different from last time they did any%. I remember last time, there was an OOB part towards the beginning where the runner had to slowly inch his way across the rafters of a big room and it took many minutes. In this run, the runner got past the same room in like 10 seconds with some precise movements and jumps.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The banter on the super metroid run is top notch by both the runner and couch

"Here's a trick I was talking about earlier, if I don't miss it" *immediately falls into a spike pit* "we missed it, sooo..."

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So how has that FF VI run been? Catching the end here, but has it been comparable to FF7 compared to chill & comfy levels?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The Mario Odyssey run was simultaneously the best and worst event. The commentary was not only cheesy and awful, it was also scripted and the script leaked before the run, so anybody who got their hands on it could see the litterally boo-inducing gags a mile away, which was fun if you like that sort of stuff. Also the run itself was pretty good.

The Mario Maker event was really fun and had more of the good nice guy from the SMB3 run.

And overall I thought it was a good year. Everytime I sat down and invested myself in it, I felt rewarded.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 1, 2018

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TeaJay posted:

So how has that FF VI run been? Catching the end here, but has it been comparable to FF7 compared to chill & comfy levels?

it's chill and cool, I'd say it's comparable to the last FF7 run

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

If anyone has the Annoyed Bird comic with the little bird trying to talk about a sequence break and the crow yelling an anonymous cancer comment, I regret not saving it when I saw it a few days ago.

This is my favourite meme of 2018 so ofc I saved it

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
That complete FF6 run as a finale was amazing. That runner had nerves of steel to sit there and grind out that game for nearly 7 hours uninterrupted. It also seemed like he could gone faster but chose not to do so, which is wild.

Getting a live performance of the opera song from that one girl was amazing. What a wonderful GDQ we got. I absolutely adored it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Ok, so I missed 95% of SGDQ this year. What are some must sees? Also was Awful Block good? because I missed it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks for a great SGDQ! :love:

For everybody's reference, here is a link to a bunch of non-Samus avatars I made which to my knowledge have not been used yet. If you use one, post or PM me (after the thread closes) and I will take it down.

And I know this is really weird, but here is the other thing I made, up-rezzed to be suitable for printing on mugs, mousepads, etc. Go for it!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

How Rude posted:

Ok, so I missed 95% of SGDQ this year. What are some must sees? Also was Awful Block good? because I missed it.

There wasn't an Awful block, but there was a Silly block and it was about equivalently good.

My personal recommends are as follows:

Shantae Pirate's Curse race
F.E.A.R
Cuphead
Hat in Time
Celeste
The Entire Silly Games Block
i'd watch the celeste TAS but skip the rest
Borderlands Pre-Sequel

There's also some commonly recommended Mario/Zelda runs but I never really watch any of those, so refer to those at your leisure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Might do well to say when the silly block started and ended

I’d look it up myself but it’s almost 3am and I’m phone posting

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't have as much time to watch live as previous events, but from what I saw:

F.E.A.R
Silly block starting with Getting over it - it's all really good all t he way to Pac-Man 2, although Bio Miracle is a legit game and not a silly one
Super Mario Bros 3 race
Bionic Commando by Murphagator
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 by PJ
Hob

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Coolguye posted:

Might do well to say when the silly block started and ended

I’d look it up myself but it’s almost 3am and I’m phone posting

First game was pepsiman, find it here, along with everything else.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

Of all the gifs I made, I think the first one was the best.

That said, here's an album of all the stuff I posted here and the chat thread. Nope, I forgot to clip and timestamp everything, so you can't go back and watch until someone else makes a proper compilation. Sorry!

https://imgur.com/a/wExty0h

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 1, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

There wasn't an Awful block, but there was a Silly block and it was about equivalently good.

My personal recommends are as follows:

Shantae Pirate's Curse race
F.E.A.R
Cuphead
Hat in Time
Celeste
The Entire Silly Games Block
i'd watch the celeste TAS but skip the rest
Borderlands Pre-Sequel

There's also some commonly recommended Mario/Zelda runs but I never really watch any of those, so refer to those at your leisure.

The Mario 3 race is worth watching just to watch Poo visibly wither on camera twice

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Watch all the goon runs imo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've still to catch most of them. Although I did see SexRex' Gift run, it's nice and fast and there's a donation / shoutout to the chat thread at the end.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Will run through the last bunch of pages of the thread to gather recommendations for the list later today, so post 'em if you got 'em.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When do the runs typically get uploaded once a GDQ wraps up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Node posted:

When do the runs typically get uploaded once a GDQ wraps up?

There's already runs up to Half-Life on the official GDQ Youtube channel.

• Locked thread