Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Julias posted:

Happy Sugar Life: Dark subject matter can be tricky to handle, and I don’t really have confidence that this can handle it well.

The manga is super trashy, so don't expect it to be handled with too much sensitivity, at any rate. It's one of those stories about a bunch of hosed up people doing hosed up things to each other where the main appeal is seeing just how far things can escalate before everything blows up spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Did yurikuma square the circle with the mixed messaging of oppressed minorities being murderers and cannibals in a satisfying way cause that's what dropped me off of it.

It used the trappings of horror films like suspiria and left me feeling confused more than entertained, with more pity for the oppressor than the oppressed

I got to like episode 5 I think

I think buying into YKA beyond the first couple of episodes pretty much requires finding a way to read all the death as something other than literal. All the other things you can read it as are still gonna be pretty uncomfortable, but not quite as conversation-stopping as "the bears literally murder people". I feel like I got a lot out of YKA, but I also feel like I probably read it generously and filled in a lot of gaps with my own experiences, so it's not something I can give an unqualified recommendation for.

Anyway, to get back to the current season, there are things I enjoy about Happy Sugar Life but it might be a stretch to call them healthy or positive. I tend to like stories about people pursuing their obsessions to the point of self-destruction and that's the angle I'm coming at HSL from, more or less. In terms of what I'm personally getting out of it, it has less in common with Citrus and more with, I dunno, Breaking Bad.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Schubalts posted:

I like this one manga where it's two sets of gay siblings. The guys are in love, and the girls are in love. It has the "GET MARRIED, YOUR FAMILY COMMANDS IT" thing, but it solves it by having the guys and girls get into sham marriages, having a joint ceremony since their families are close, and then having a joint honeymoon. :allears:

Sounds like Wedding Bells are Ringing, by Asou Natsuko. I think there was only one set of siblings, though; the brother marries the sister's girlfriend and the sister marries the brother's boyfriend. (Also, fair warning to anyone who wants to look it up, it's very NSFW.)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Space Flower posted:

that's the rub of it, to me. like, why do we use this super presumptuous word that assumes we were present for the creation of a work? especially in anime compared to manga, there are tons of perspectives and angles at play. and honestly "we're gonna do this for the fans" seems so good and pure to me when a creator just outright says it. everyone calls Bebe's appearance in madomagi rebellion fanservice when it wasn't some magically corporate decision. Shinbo says it was in the initial script when they received it, and Urobuchi just goes, "yeah i saw all this fanart of them together and I thought it was cute!" Bebe has a very tangible narrative role in how she plays the red herring when Homura is searching for the culprit, as well as explaining why Mami is so composed and strong (you could say she really has her head on her shoulders) in the new world: she's not torn apart by loneliness and the loss of her family, she has someone to protect and live for.

Ever since Rebellion I've honestly hated the word for how much people just immediately go to the reaction of "ah, it's fanservice" as if that writes off the need to pursue any further thought.

Rebellion is also kind of a weird case in general, since it deliberately lays on some of the fanservice elements a little too heavily as a signal to the audience that something isn't quite right.

• Locked thread