Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kinda cool how its set up that the first time you see one of these it just looks like a regular bloodborne pig from behind

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

SoR Blaze fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 26, 2018

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

nosering
Oct 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2-PICH0Ls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

good boy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

trying to jack off posted:

that one hit me hard since i only recently finished the game

I'm curious to what you thought of the game

It's absolutely one of my favorites, like top ten ever, but I played it when I was 13 so I'm not sure if it was nostalgia or if it's really that good so tell me what you thought

I used to have an illusion of Gaia coffee mug I ordered from Nintendo that my parents threw out years ago and apparently goes for $120 on ebay these days

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's absolutely one of my favorites, like top ten ever, but I played it when I was 13 so I'm not sure if it was nostalgia or if it's really that good so tell me what you thought

I used to have an illusion of Gaia coffee mug I ordered from Nintendo that my parents threw out years ago and apparently goes for $120 on ebay these days

i have played this game more than most people and assessing whether it's "good" or not is hard now. it's WEIRD. the overhead ALTP combat stuff is really good for its time, the bosses are good, but the puzzles, when they're there, are garbage. the red jewels, that open the bonus dungeon, are a chore to find without a walkthrough. the translation is charmingly bad, and the story is loving bizarre in a way that sticks with you.

basically, i think if you liked it when you were a kid, you'll like it now.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i liked it. it was strangely unique to play an arpg that was so linear, but it kept the action going and stopped me wandering around trying to work out what to do next like terranigma sometimes did. challenging bosses that require you learn their patterns was also a nice change after playing lots of the other games of the genre lately. i could basically sleep through most of the boss fights of soul blazer and terranigma, there was only one that gave me any sort of challenge in the latter because i was under leveled and i could still cheese it with spells. im glad i got to play it because i never liked rpgs as a kid so i actively avoided it for years it thinking it was like final fantasy. i score it 8/10 on my personal game charts

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like, i would not recommend Illusion of Gaia someone who didn't grow up playing SNES, but i don't think it's just nostalgically good, it's just a product of its time that is hard to understand now.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i have played this game more than most people and assessing whether it's "good" or not is hard now. it's WEIRD. the overhead ALTP combat stuff is really good for its time, the bosses are good, but the puzzles, when they're there, are garbage. the red jewels, that open the bonus dungeon, are a chore to find without a walkthrough. the translation is charmingly bad, and the story is loving bizarre in a way that sticks with you.

i didnt care about finding all the red jewels on my first play through because im not insane

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Aw I thought the puzzles were good, especially that spot the differences one that gave you a little mouse pointer

The red jewels stuff was ridiculous but that's why the manual showed you all of them

I used to have the German release of the game because it came in a huge earthbound sized box
Germany also had big box versions of super metroid and secret of Mana as well

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

i liked it. it was strangely unique to play an arpg that was so linear, but it kept the action going and stopped me wandering around trying to work out what to do next like terranigma sometimes did. challenging bosses that require you learn their patterns was also a nice change after playing lots of the other games of the genre lately. i could basically sleep through most of the boss fights of soul blazer and terranigma, there was only one that gave me any sort of challenge in the latter because i was under leveled and i could still cheese it with spells. im glad i got to play it because i never liked rpgs as a kid so i actively avoided it for years it thinking it was like final fantasy. i score it 8/10 on my personal game charts

Awesome. Yeah the bosses were great. They actually changed a boss entirely for the US version and he was way harder and more fun to play. So they made boss fights in the game a big deal

The craziest poo poo is that I can't find anyone who worked on the game having worked on anything before or after. Even the amazing musical composer did absolutely nothing before or after the game wtf

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Soul Blazer, which is basically the prequel, is similarly good but not as much IMO because it's not as openly hosed-up weird and yeah, the boss fights are a snooze where the strategy is something like "hold L and move back and forth" or "wear the ring that doubles yours defense." soul blazer still owns, though. i'm saving terranigma for my death bed. i love the quintet games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Awesome. Yeah the bosses were great. They actually changed a boss entirely for the US version and he was way harder and more fun to play. So they made boss fights in the game a big deal

is it the vampires? also, have you clicked my depressing illusion of gaia link yet?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bicyclops posted:

Soul Blazer, which is basically the prequel, is similarly good but not as much IMO because it's not as openly hosed-up weird and yeah, the boss fights are a snooze where the strategy is something like "hold L and move back and forth" or "wear the ring that doubles yours defense." soul blazer still owns, though. i'm saving terranigma for my death bed. i love the quintet games.

I emulated all these back to back like in middle school when i first discovered ZSNES (or SNES9x? don't remember) and Terranigma loving blew my mind with all the real world locations and how the whole game was one big "town building mini game" which is the best part of any RPG

edit: I literally remember nothing about the spells or the combat or the skill system or anything though lol. Just being amazed that you could meet Albert Einstein and stuff

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that sounds like quintet, like in Soul Blazer, you're basically trying to rescue Leonardo DaVinci, and also kind of want to bone his daughter. i really am saving Terranigma for my deathbed.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

that sounds like quintet, like in Soul Blazer, you're basically trying to rescue Leonardo DaVinci, and also kind of want to bone his daughter. i really am saving Terranigma for my deathbed.

i recommend not doing that because i noob trapped myself on the town stuff and didnt realise until like 10 hours later i was going to miss a bunch of bonus content so you might need to play it twice to see everything

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tbh i read that one stupid article my freshman of college and got obsessed with Illusion of Gaia so much that i had to make myself stop playing it forever, and now i have a rule that i am only allowed to play it every five years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i recommend not doing that because i noob trapped myself on the town stuff and didnt realise until like 10 hours later i was going to miss a bunch of bonus content so you might need to play it twice to see everything

i'll play it with a walkthrough, probably

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i'll play it with a walkthrough, probably

what the gently caress

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795534&userid=138102#post466022240

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Since this was posted I can think of 3 or 4 examples where it popped up in my brain and kept me from using a walkthrough for stuff. Those gamer tears were not shed in vain .

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

what the gently caress

IoG is more or less meant to played with a walkthrough, the instruction manual listed all of the gems for you and finding them is a chore, i assume terranigma is the same

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if i were going to do that then i'd probably just play without a walkthrough and then use a game genie code or a savestate to get the gems at the very end. playing an SNES arpg by slavishly following a walkthrough seems miserable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

if i were going to do that then i'd probably just play without a walkthrough and then use a game genie code or a savestate to get the gems at the very end. playing an SNES arpg by slavishly following a walkthrough seems miserable.

when i use walkthroughs, i use the ones that have the [[The Ice Dungeon]] or w/e headings, and underneath [[Things to find:]] with a checklist, and just make sure i reload if i'm missing anything i'd regret. reading sentence for sentence would be miserable. i wish there were like a gamechecklists.com or something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like "Turn left, then walk, clockways, and around in a circle until you a pillar, then go toward the red thing - underneath, you'll find a potion" is misery, i just like a list of important missables and save states for games where if you walk left instead of right, you miss the chance to do bonus content.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

when i use walkthroughs, i use the ones that have the [[The Ice Dungeon]] or w/e headings, and underneath [[Things to find:]] with a checklist, and just make sure i reload if i'm missing anything i'd regret. reading sentence for sentence would be miserable. i wish there were like a gamechecklists.com or something.

https://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

it's like my 3rd playthrough and i wanna get the platinum trophy so this has been useful but my god it hurts to imagine someone using this their first time thru the game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

like "Turn left, then walk, clockways, and around in a circle until you a pillar, then go toward the red thing - underneath, you'll find a potion" is misery, i just like a list of important missables and save states for games where if you walk left instead of right, you miss the chance to do bonus content.

you could play the game twice

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

IoG is more or less meant to played with a walkthrough, the instruction manual listed all of the gems for you and finding them is a chore, i assume terranigma is the same

this is completely insane, i played them both blind

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

considering im the person who has actually played terranigma, and recently at that, you should play without a guide. youll know what to do on the second run and wont miss anything. half of the fun is trying to discover things and seeing how the world works...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i mean, i'll trust you on terranigma because i've never played it, but there is no reason not to find a simple checklist of red gems for illusion of gaia and just make sure you get them the first time through if you don't want to miss the bonus dungeon with the Soul Blazer boss, rather than playing through the entire game a second time because you forgot to talk to a cloaked guy in freejia that you had to find a secret pathway to a rooftop before you moved on to the next dungeon.

it's not zelda or metroid, where you can crawl around the game forever after you beat it looking for stuff to collect and it doesn't really matter if you missed things because it just means you have less health or fewer weapons, it's "did you turn left or right here?" in a scavenger hunt for 50 things that gatelock an entire dungeon. i love the game, i've played it dozens of times, but your average person is either going to find a list of the missables or just say "gently caress it" to the Solid Arm dungeon. not everybody wants to play through a game blind multiple times for a scavenger hunt where some of the stuff on your list is permanently missable based on branching choices.

• Locked thread