Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

thinking of my girlfriend getting increasingly upset every time i did that

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

that one hit me hard since i only recently finished the game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm curious to what you thought of the game

It's absolutely one of my favorites, like top ten ever, but I played it when I was 13 so I'm not sure if it was nostalgia or if it's really that good so tell me what you thought

I used to have an illusion of Gaia coffee mug I ordered from Nintendo that my parents threw out years ago and apparently goes for $120 on ebay these days

i liked it. it was strangely unique to play an arpg that was so linear, but it kept the action going and stopped me wandering around trying to work out what to do next like terranigma sometimes did. challenging bosses that require you learn their patterns was also a nice change after playing lots of the other games of the genre lately. i could basically sleep through most of the boss fights of soul blazer and terranigma, there was only one that gave me any sort of challenge in the latter because i was under leveled and i could still cheese it with spells. im glad i got to play it because i never liked rpgs as a kid so i actively avoided it for years it thinking it was like final fantasy. i score it 8/10 on my personal game charts

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i have played this game more than most people and assessing whether it's "good" or not is hard now. it's WEIRD. the overhead ALTP combat stuff is really good for its time, the bosses are good, but the puzzles, when they're there, are garbage. the red jewels, that open the bonus dungeon, are a chore to find without a walkthrough. the translation is charmingly bad, and the story is loving bizarre in a way that sticks with you.

basically, i think if you liked it when you were a kid, you'll like it now.

i didnt care about finding all the red jewels on my first play through because im not insane

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

that sounds like quintet, like in Soul Blazer, you're basically trying to rescue Leonardo DaVinci, and also kind of want to bone his daughter. i really am saving Terranigma for my deathbed.

i recommend not doing that because i noob trapped myself on the town stuff and didnt realise until like 10 hours later i was going to miss a bunch of bonus content so you might need to play it twice to see everything

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i'll play it with a walkthrough, probably

what the gently caress

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795534&userid=138102#post466022240

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

like "Turn left, then walk, clockways, and around in a circle until you a pillar, then go toward the red thing - underneath, you'll find a potion" is misery, i just like a list of important missables and save states for games where if you walk left instead of right, you miss the chance to do bonus content.

you could play the game twice

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

IoG is more or less meant to played with a walkthrough, the instruction manual listed all of the gems for you and finding them is a chore, i assume terranigma is the same

this is completely insane, i played them both blind

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

considering im the person who has actually played terranigma, and recently at that, you should play without a guide. youll know what to do on the second run and wont miss anything. half of the fun is trying to discover things and seeing how the world works...

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

like one of the gems you can miss is in the first town and it's literally "Did you go in and out of this room enough times that this guy fishing was in the right location for you to talk to him and he'll give you the gem?" what the hell kind of cool player immersion is gained by not just knowing that going into the game instead of discovering it in your fourth or fifth playthrough (he is in the correct location way less than 1/4th of a time, and there is no indication in game that he's important. once you've advanced to the first major dungeon, you can't go back).

ok cool. dont use a guide for terranigma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i'll trust you on this but i'm going to remember it and if, half a century from now, i beat Terranigma and there's a lot of time left on the mophine drip and i look it up and it turns out all i needed to do for the bonus stuff was to press A next to a spoon or something, i'm going to yell "I hereby place my most foul deathcurse on Trying to Jack Off," and the nurses are going to be very confused.

if your really stressed about it look up who to vote for in the election then put the guide away and never look again, thats the only critical thing that can truly ruin it

• Locked thread